.22 rifles

Posts related to rifles.
gunaficionado
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

.22 rifles

Post by gunaficionado » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:25 pm

Hi..
Could anyone tell me what could be the approximate market price for any imported .22 rifles which are in very good condition. Is there any chance to get any imported .22 rifles which are just one or two years old and sparingly used.....

GA

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:17 pm

gunaficionado";p="29569 wrote: Hi..
Could anyone tell me what could be the approximate market price for any imported .22 rifles which are in very good condition. Is there any chance to get any imported .22 rifles which are just one or two years old and sparingly used.....

GA
Since imports were banned in 1985 the only 2 ways for a gun to have legally entered India is either -

a) Imported by someone on Transfer of Residence, when returning from aboard. In which case the original importer CANNOT sell/ transfer the gun for the period of his natural life. So very very very few of these would be available in resale, especially so soon after import.

b) Imported by a renowned shot. In which case the original importer CANNOT sell the gun for the period of 5 years from the date of import - ALSO, only competition type guns are allowed for import under this scheme, NOT the usual type of firearms for general use...

In essence, it would be next to impossible to locate a freshly imported piece. You should in stead concentrate on looking for a piece in good nick... single shot (no magazine) types should be available quite cheap... repeaters with magazines would be much more expensive. Prices vary according to the type, make, condition, seller etc.

A cheap alternative could be the IOF .22 LR rifle, it has a 10 shot magazine and is sold direct from the factory for around INR 18,000/- plus taxes. You can then have it refinished by a competent gunsmith.

Your final choice would be determined by the intended use and of course your budget.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

shahid

Post by shahid » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:53 am

BRNO , Kricko, Anshtz trade for Rs. 1 lakh to 1.25 lakh. now.

BSA in the region of Rs 50,000 to 70,000

Marlin, Browning, others - 40,000 to 65,000 depending on the condition.

A brand new savage or CZ anywhere in the circa of Rs. 1.5 Lakhs.

Actual price of 2007 model CZ US $ 200
Savage - US $ 180

There you go!

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: .22 rifles

Post by indian » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:17 am

shahid bhai is correct.i bought a ruger 22 for $250 and a friend bouht a remington for $350.u have to pay huge prices in ind

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:22 am

gunaficionado";p="29569 wrote:Hi..

GA

Dont you own one already,atleast that's what your introduction says.If it is IOF then you could have a smith give it a good makeover.

There is an advisory for some of the earlier imported models circa 70's-80's against firing hyper velocity rounds.

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:09 pm

Hi Sanjay can you throw some light on this advisory on firing hi speed ammo from old rimfires . i have a .22 brno mod 1 and at least in one interaction with someone was told of its max MV limit of NOT more than 1300 fps or so though i havent fired beyond 1100 fps.any website where i can get some this type of data etc.thanks.andy

gunaficionado
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by gunaficionado » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:27 pm

Thanks Abhijeet,
I was not knowing that someone who comes to India on transfer of residence basis are not supposed to sell their imported weapon for life. I was always hoping that I would get any of those newly imported weapons.
Anyway thanks a lot.......

gunaficionado
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by gunaficionado » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:40 pm

Sanjay";p="29616 wrote:
gunaficionado";p="29569 wrote:Hi..

GA

Dont you own one already,atleast that's what your introduction says.If it is IOF then you could have a smith give it a good makeover.

There is an advisory for some of the earlier imported models circa 70's-80's against firing hyper velocity rounds.
Hi Sanjay,

Yes I do have a .22 rifle, The make is winchester mod 131 fitted with a 3x9-40 tasco scope.. But I wish to buy some thing new. As you know these imported weapons are quite old. Also there is a small problem with the magazine. It doesn't lock when inserted, even if accidentally pulled or pushed a little bit, it comes off. So I thought if I could luckily purchase any other reputed ones which are recently imported. Lets see....... may be I get......

shahid

Post by shahid » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:31 am

The match rounds, Eley Tenex and similar doing the rounds in the grey market are usually 1100 to 1200 fps and lower, then there is Lapua Subsonic and other makes of Subsonic .22 LR Ammo, these should meet the case just about fine.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:21 am

Shahid,

I don't think Tenex could achieve 1200 fps at the muzzle. 1100 fps may be possible though.

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:07 am

Andy, some authorities have suggested that `Hyper Velocity` .22 lr ammunition ( such as CCI Stingers and Velocitors ) should not be used in vintage and older rifles - especially semi-automatics - because of the higher pressures involved. That also applies to certain modern semi-autos - Marlin, for example, specifically warn against the use of Hyper Velocity ammuntion in their semi-automatic rifles.
It makes sense to look after older rifles by not using Hyper Velocity ammunition and to use `High Velocity` instead. As I`ve said before, I used to use Eley High Velocity Solids for long range hunting in my .22 lr rifles because they retain more energy beyond approximately 70 yards than any Hyper Velocity ammunition anyway. As I now have a Marlin semi-auto I use those ( and Eley Subsonics ) exclusively with no discernable loss of performance.
The Eley High Velocity ammo - solids and hollow points - make 1312 fps muzzle velocity so are very close to the 1300 fps `cut-off` you suggest and are reckoned to be safe to use in any .22 lr rifle.
ALL target ammunition is of low velocity compared to High and Hyper Velocity hunting ammunition as has been stated above and none gets near 1300 fps so are perfectly safe to use.
I hope this clarifies matters for you.

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:02 pm

Grumpy";p="29705 wrote: Hyper Velocity ammunition anyway. As I now have a Marlin semi-auto I use those ( and Eley Subsonics ) exclusively with no discernable loss of performance.
out of curiosity, remember the industrial looking .22 you picked up at bedford (the one that looked like a poor man's HK), it that still with you, or did you sell it off?
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:42 pm

That thing is still around here somewhere - I need to tidy it up a little and sell it on - thanks for reminding me !

shahid

Post by shahid » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:13 am

Mack The Knife Bana";p="29701 wrote:Shahid,

I don't think Tenex could achieve 1200 fps at the muzzle. 1100 fps may be possible though.

Mack The Knife
Like I said, 1100 to 1200 fps, not quite sure of the exact MV, will have to look up the catalouge or website. It is a large range under Tenex.

Yesterday at the ADH hunting exhibition we saw a very elaborate .22 LR target and field ammo from RWS, Dynamite Nobel.

They have also introduced the Norma range with 500 Express, .470 NE, .375 H & H and some other big game calibres inclusive of .505 Gibbs.

A new range of shotgun ammo was also on display.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:25 am

Eley Tenex Ultimate EPS muzzle velocity is 1085 fps.