Converting a Remington 742 Woodmaster...

Posts related to rifles.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:15 pm

Thanks, will check.

For Advertising mail webmaster
TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Converting a Remington 742 Woodmaster...

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:02 pm

The operating rod/gas piston does not "drive a cam system". It has a cam slot that fits over an extension of the locking lug, and upon moving back cams the lug(s) out of engagement and then carries the bolt back. It would be quite simple to convert the Garand to a pump action.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:02 pm

You have my undivided attention.Can you please elaborate on your observation
TwoRivers";p="39604 wrote: The operating rod/gas piston does not "drive a cam system". It has a cam slot that fits over an extension of the locking lug, and upon moving back cams the lug(s) out of engagement and then carries the bolt back. It would be quite simple to convert the Garand to a pump action.
BTW, hello form the 'land of five rivers' :lol:

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:37 pm

penpusher,

TwoRiver's reply is right on the money, the Remington 740/742/7400 have a multiple-lug bolt face which cams into corresponding recesses in the barrel extension, the system incorporates two "arms" running from behind the barrel extension into the bolt carrier which actuate the opening of the bolt, opposing the resistance given from the action spring, the action spring closes the bolt and here the "arms" support the bolt+carrier against the receiver raceways whilst it closes and engages. The carrier and bolt are held together by a pin which rides through a carefully designed cam slot. The design is beautifully simple and functions like clockwork given your ammunition is upto the mark and your chamber and gas port is clean.

Cheers!

Zubin
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:33 pm

Since the Remington 742 uses the same action as the Remington 760 pump (which I don't much care for either), it is quite readily converted, but get someone who specializes in that particular work. The poor trigger can be improved, too, though frowned upon by Remington. With any of these thorough and periodic cleaning is important. And dedicated handloader though I am, I'd stick to factory ammo, probably Remington, if I had no other gun to take out Some people love them, though, and swear by them. Others swear at them. Personally, I'd sell the
742 and pick up a 760, if in a place to do so. And wanted a pump.
Cheers!