Barrel life.

Posts related to rifles.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:25 am

Does anyone know what the average barrel life of an IOF .315 is?

I am not interested in the .315 but if the similar material and procedure is going to be used for the forthcoming IOF .30-06, I'd like to know what to expect.

Also, to put things in perspective, what would be the average barrel life of a standard Remington 700 BDL or Winchester Mod.70 in .30-06 calibre?

P.S.: All of the above is assuming that the rifles mentioned above were well maintained.

For Advertising mail webmaster
shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:06 pm

For the IOF .315 I would say about 3,000 to 4,000 rounds. Recently a relative of mine got his barrel changed at Ichapore factory of IOF.

For a Remington 700 atleast 12,000 to 15,000 rounds, and the grooving is still good.

There is some documentation on Rifle use and wear out by Remington, will post you details here later.

Is there any calculation available on ME and Energy at 100 / 200 / 400 yards for the IOF, .315 244 grain bullet ?

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: IOF 315 rifle and ammo

Post by Grumpy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:07 pm

"Also, to put things in perspective, what would be the average barrel life of a standard Remington 700 BDL or Winchester Mod.70 in .30-06 calibre?"

Goodness knows.......a lot though. 5,000 rounds plus anyway - possibly two or three times that - using factory loads........and if you avoid `Light Magnum` ammo. The 30-06 isn`t particularly hard on barrels. Some of the magnums have a much shorter barrel life - especially the sub .30 cal mags.......and things like the .220 Swift.
Metalurgy, powders, primers and cleaners are far superior to what they used to be.
- By the way, those old S&B primers weren`t too clever and will shorten barrel life considerably if that`s what has to be used.

Why the BDL by the way ? I don`t think that the hinged floorplate is going to affect barrel life............................ :wink:

shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:50 pm

Today the kind of coating / jacketing available on modern bullets in loads by top makers like RWS, Lapua, WInchester, Remington, Federal, even S & B are of a very high quality and technology and softer on the barrel for sure.

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:05 pm

If the Q of the IOF .22,315 & 30 06 barrels are as good as the ones provided on the service weapons,I think then you will able to knock of a lot more than 5000 if off course they are maintained properly.

IIRC the LMG barrels had a life of around 15000,before being despatched back to Jabalpur.

Given the prices,it just doesnt add upto to firing imported ammo from IOF fire arms,besides these monsters work best with the local cocktail :wink:

Rusty,how many rounds have you knocked off from your 22,and what is the condition of the barrel :?:

Me thinks the IOF 30 06 will be a big seller once it hits the market.

Cheers

Sanjay

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:49 pm

shahid";p="30953 wrote:Is there any calculation available on ME and Energy at 100 / 200 / 400 yards for the IOF, .315 244 grain bullet ?
They are reputed to do 1980 fps at the muzzle, so 2124.6 ft.lbs. would be the M.E.. You would need to use a ballistic programme to get the energy at the other distances.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Barrel life.

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:52 pm

By the way, those old S&B primers weren`t too clever and will shorten barrel life considerably if that`s what has to be used.
Can you elaborate on that, Grumpy?
Why the BDL by the way ? I don`t think that the hinged floorplate is going to affect barrel life...
Hehehe...just got into the habit of addressing that particular rifle as such.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:14 pm

Rusty,how many rounds have you knocked off from your 22,and what is the condition of the barrel :?:

The bore is as good as new, if not better. However, for a rimfire even 50,000 rounds is nothing.
Given the prices,it just doesnt add upto to firing imported ammo from IOF fire arms,besides these monsters work best with the local cocktail
For one KF (Indian) ammo will not load from the magazine in my IOF rifle. Their shotgun cartridges are dirty and inconsistent and according to penpusher, the earlier .315 bullet jackets seperated easily from the core and weren't even assembled properly in their casings. To make things worse, they aren't exactly cheap. If I have to pay Rs.135.00 for a Clever Mirage BB and Rs.50.00 for a KF No.1, I will opt for the former.

However, me being a jammy sod, I get to shoot RC4s at Rs.12.50 a shot. :mrgreen:

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:16 pm

You`ld actually need to know the velocity of the bullet at those distances to be able to calculate the energy. Estimates could be made but a whole load of other factors come into play so it`s a case of having to chronograph the bullet at the required distances.

Bullet coatings don`t really make much difference to barrel life - after all, lead is very soft so can`t, in itself, damage steel bores. Copper is harder but still considerably softer than steel - as is teflon.

Corrosive primers are lethal to barrels and especially the forward part of the chamber - the area that is most vulnerable anyway because of the intense heat generated. The older S&B ammuntion was supposed to have non-corrosive primers but that wasn`t borne out in practice. Current production S&B is fine - much improved in all respects - and has been for a few years now.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:20 pm

The older S&B ammuntion was supposed to have non-corrosive primers but that wasn`t borne out in practice. Current production S&B is fine - much improved in all respects - and has been for a few years now.
I am pretty sure we have the newer batch of S&B's but will take some pics when I can and send them to you.

Thanks.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:42 pm

That`s good news.
Whether the rifle will `like` it is another matter. Quite a lot of rifles don`t perform too well with S&B ammo. I had one rifle that loved it though.......can`t remember what it was or what calibre though........except that I know it wasn`t a 30-06. Might have been a centrefire .22 of some de.scription.

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:59 pm

Corrosive primers are only bad if you do not clean the rifle after shooting. They residue is hygroscopic and attracts water, and hence the tendency to rust.

Notthing that cant be solved with hto water and soap, a decent scrub and oil.

Barrel life is relative. I tend to change the barrel on my .300 WM at about 1500 - 2000. However they are accurate enough for most practical purposes like hunting at that stage.

A .22 LR barrel can easily give you 20K +

All depends on what you term as accuracy. Minute of deer versus groups averaging well under 0.5 inches at 100 meters.

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:37 pm

Rusty,

I guess the newer 315's should last atleast 3-4k rounds before wearing out, given the chamber pressures, I did a little experiment with a friend's new .315 and got some very surprising results :shock: a 700 BDL or a pre/post-64 Win. should see you thru to 5k rounds provided you look after her well, the same applies to our beloved .315, disregarding the fact that the IOF still uses mercuric compounds in their primers.
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:37 pm

Shahid: Published energy for the .315 Mannlicher, a.k.a. .315 India, is 1,840 ft.-lbs @ 100 yds, 1,520@200, 1,220@300. That's for a muzzle velocity of 2,025 fp/sec., taken from a bit longer barrel than the IOF rifle has, and 244 grain round-nosed bullet. Cheers.