Translation on a 1860 Westley Richards Monkey Tail rifle

Posts related to rifles.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Translation on a 1860 Westley Richards Monkey Tail rifle

Post by mundaire » Fri May 01, 2020 12:51 am

There's some difference in how Devnagari is currently and was previously written... Not unlike other languages. Such archaic writing isn't immediately readable by people like us who have little exposure to how some letters were formed in years past. However, students of history who are familiar with older texts should have no problem reading it.

Cheers!
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Fri May 01, 2020 10:58 am

I have already sent that to two of the persons who is good in old Rajasthani weapons. Based in Jodhpur near Pali. Hopefully I will get a reply in a day or two.
Regards

Shivaji

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Fri May 01, 2020 11:11 am

Just called one of them. He said that first alphabet is Ji or ha or Aa. Still trying to figure it out. Then Gaj Shree ji. After that it's still not clear. We are trying it.
Regards

Shivaji

pran80
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by pran80 » Fri May 01, 2020 12:27 pm

Shivaji,
As per my understanding the first alphabet is Shri, then Gaj then illegible then Ri Ji followed by Ba Na SinghJi. Last three alphabets as per my understanding are Ba Nun/tun Ray but not very sure about the last alphabet as it could be Ray or it may be a number as well.
So as per my understanding - Shri Gaj *Ri Ji Bana SinghJi BaNun/tunRay.
Waiting to hear from your sources. I am saying the second letter cannot be Shri since it has always been denoted by a single alphabet with E sound. The first alphabet makes sense to be Shri in this case.
Thanks,
Pranjal

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Fri May 01, 2020 2:08 pm

Right You are Pranjal. From last one Hr. I am also thinking it will be Bana singhji. last three laters are yet to understand.. I am also hear from my sources
Regards

Shivaji

MtailRob
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by MtailRob » Fri May 01, 2020 5:26 pm

Gentlemen,
Not being a speaker of any of the languages that enploy Devanāgarī script I'm a bit bemused by "Shri Gaj *Ri Ji Bana SinghJi BaNun/tunRay".
Can you break this down to unicode, please? http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0900.pdf
What does jump out at me is SinghJi - which is perhaps a name? If so is there a record of a wealthy SinghJi who enjoyed long range shooting?

It is, perhaps, worth explaining that the Monkey Tail was the first/best capping breechloader employing a 52 bore/ .45" bullet (Patented in September 1858). The relevance of this is that allowed accurate shooting at distances in excess of 1,000 yards (900 meters), as opposed to the previous generation of rifles which had much larger diameter bullets and hence far higher tradjectories and shorter ranges. This purchaser was right at the tip of technological advance, only 155 people before him had tried what was to become the very latest advance in shooting from the other side of the world.

Kind regards, Rob.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat May 02, 2020 3:52 pm

MtailRob,

Several people from Rajasthan, including a sixth generation family member of the owner, have confirmed what is written on this rifle.

Shri Raj Singhji Jivan Singhji Balunda
Later new no. Issued at dist headquarter Pali. Teh. Jaitaran.

Numbers engraved means licence number of gun registered at licensing authority Jaitaran district Pali.
When new arms act came into effect in Rajasthan ,all unlicensed weapons were required to be registered with licensing authorities and details were engraved on weapon.
There were thousands of guns in Rajasthan bearing such engravings.
I hope this helps.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

MtailRob
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by MtailRob » Sat May 02, 2020 9:43 pm

Dear Vicram,
Helps? It's a veritable volcano of fantastic information to brighten up our Covid stricken lives. Please thank all who have contributed to this provinance.
Is it possible to glean from the family you have identified any additional information on Shri Raj Singhji Jivan Singhji and did he live in the Fort at Balundra?
When did gun registration start in Rajasthan?
If you are ever in need of reciprical information on old British guns please message me and I will do my utmost to help. It is so rewarding to add to the history of these wonderful old reminders of our past.
Kind regards, Rob.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun May 03, 2020 12:38 am

Hi Rob,

Much pleased to hear that you found the information to be of use. I will pass on your questions to the gentleman. Thank you for the offer to help re old British guns. :D :cheers:

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sun May 03, 2020 1:38 am

Fabulous information Vikram! :D (y)

Here is some more background that may help MtailRob
Thikana of Balunda
Thakur JEVAN SINGH Ji 1895- 1950
Dynasty: Rathore
Clan: Mertia
Subclan: Chandawat
State: Jodhpur (Dist. Pali)
Villages: 24
Hindi Name: बालून्दा
There is also a Raj Singh mentioned in the genealogy. Good Luck!
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

MtailRob
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by MtailRob » Sun May 03, 2020 5:19 am

So, if you will bear with me, a total stranger to your country, the Indian Arms Act came into force in 1878 so that is the rough date of the सं ६૧૧ राज, पाली, जैतारण। ~ No. 611 Raj, Pali, Jaitaran. inscription.
री राज सिंहजी जीवन सिंहजी बालूंडा Shri Raj Singhji Jivan Singhji Balunda: Balunda is a State of Johdpur ; a Province in the Rathore dynasty.
Shri RAJ SINGH, Thakur of Khood -/1871, married 1stly, Thakurani Mertaniji, daughter of Thakur Raj Singh of Maroth, married 2ndly, Thakurani Sada Kanwar, daughter of Thakur Shiv Singhji of Balunda, and had issue. He died 1871.
Who is Jivan Singhji ?

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun May 03, 2020 3:56 pm

Rob, the rifle must have been in the family and passed onto successive generations.

From the excellent source that Kalyan provided,
Thakur JEVAN SINGH Ji 1895/1950, married and had adoptive issue. He died 1950 Samvat.
Rajasthan was a collection of principalities before it became a state in independent India on 30 March 1949. The arms act of India would have come into force in the state of Rajasthan on that date. Given the fact that Thakur Jivan Singh ji passed away in 1950, this numbering must have been done between 1949-50.

MtailRob
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by MtailRob » Sun May 03, 2020 8:39 pm

Whoa up Vicram, the 1878 Arms Act was partially aimed at Rajasthan because of its history of metal mining and associated trades, and Lord Lyton's fear of civilian armament.
I did wonder about the Jevan/Jivan but in view of the discrepancy I felt I couldn't take it to the bank.
His dates are 1895/1950 Samvat which would roughly equate to 1838/1893 AD or CE as it now seems to be currently called, have I got that right?
Kind regards, Rob.

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Mon May 04, 2020 10:43 am

Congrats to Vikram and Mail Rob. At last the hard work produced fruits.. indeed a great history and a great weapon.
Regards

Shivaji

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Mon May 04, 2020 10:49 am

MtailRob wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 5:19 am
So, if you will bear with me, a total stranger to your country, the Indian Arms Act came into force in 1878 so that is the rough date of the सं ६૧૧ राज, पाली, जैतारण। ~ No. 611 Raj, Pali, Jaitaran. inscription.
री राज सिंहजी जीवन सिंहजी बालूंडा Shri Raj Singhji Jivan Singhji Balunda: Balunda is a State of Johdpur ; a Province in the Rathore dynasty.
Shri RAJ SINGH, Thakur of Khood -/1871, married 1stly, Thakurani Mertaniji, daughter of Thakur Raj Singh of Maroth, married 2ndly, Thakurani Sada Kanwar, daughter of Thakur Shiv Singhji of Balunda, and had issue. He died 1871.
Who is Jivan Singhji ?
Mtail rob. U r always welcome in India. And the type of efforts you put to search the history of this weapon is really incredible.. all the best to you.
Regards

Shivaji