Want to buy old single shot .22 lr rifle

Posts related to rifles.
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Want to buy old single shot .22 lr rifle

Post by timmy » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:19 am

What shoots well and what doesn't can often be a funny thing.

Of course, the state of the barrel is a VERY important issue: if the rifling is worn, or if the bore is pitted, you cannot expect a great deal of accuracy from a 22, or from any gun, for that matter.

Another important issue is the chamber, and whether it is cut large or tight, or whether it is worn can greatly affect accuracy. The Ruger 10/22 is one of the most-sold 22 rifles, and it is said that, if one is lucky, he gets one that has had the chamber cut with a new reamer, as opposed to a worn one.

Not pertinent to your issue, but 22 revolvers need to have the barrel properly seated and tightened to the frame for them to shoot well.

It seems as if the "lowly" 22 long rifle cartridge is a pretty sophisticated customer!

My Marlin 39A is as old as I am, and was made before Marlin introduced their "Microgroove" rifling. It shoots as well as any 22 I've seen on hunting forays, and is only limited by its crude sights.

Whether the rifle is a single shot or not is, to my mind, simply a matter of convenience. It doesn't have a lot to do with how well it will shoot. If you get a single shot, you do not need to feel that it constrains your shooting in the accuracy department: it shouldn't be a factor, for better or for worse.

As they say, the proof of the pudding is in the tasting. Look whatever you buy over as well as possible. Ideally, you'd be able to try it out on the range. That would be the ultimate inspection, if you can do it. You can rule out something that's been used as a jack handle and other examples of mishandling. My Marlin, for instance, is not misused, but the blue is thin in some spots and it doesn't necessarily look like it just came home from the store. This is to say, how old the gun is may not be very much of an issue. It could have sat in the corner of the closet for most of those years, unused. Of course, it could have sat there and rusted, too. The barrel life of a 22 is very long, so if it's been cared for, it can shoot well, old or new. Then again, in Montana, there were old timers who would sit in a car in the middle of the field and shoot ground squirrels all day long. Some of these old buzzards had completely worn out their Ruger 22s, and were on the second one. That's a LOT of shooting.

So in the end, there are guidelines to choosing a good used gun, but no secret formula that guarantees success. You look it over and do your best, and then hope for the best. All of the guns i've ever bought shot reasonably well, although I will admit to have only bought three 22s, and have owned five. (Add one more to each category for my Wife's pistol.) The ultimate test to whether the gun is any good is how it shoots, so if you can try it before buying it, you are ahead of the game.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

For Advertising mail webmaster
chandramohan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by chandramohan » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:34 pm

.22lr cal cz model 242 bolt action single shot is about 2L to 2.5L

Shadab khan
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Shadab khan » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:29 pm

chandramohan wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:13 pm
Single shot bolt action cz model 242 excellent condition expected price Rs 2Lac.mumbai base.
Single shot Zbrojovka Brno ZKM 468 good condition expected price Rs 1L.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:00 pm

Go for an IOF.
/S
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:41 pm

snIPer wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:00 pm
Go for an IOF.
/S
Anyday.....correct advice

chandramohan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by chandramohan » Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:20 pm

Are you still interested in. 22lr single shot bolt action rifle model 242,Bruno CZ in Excellent condition..

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:01 pm

veeveeaar wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:26 pm
Go for brand new iof .22 rather than 100 years old single shot imported rifle.
That is a true advice. Many have become dissapointed by buying decades old brno's for astronomical prices. Just for names and buildup.
I beg to differ as I have yet to come across a Brno .22 LR rifle that has proved inaccurate unless it is been tinkered with by the earlier owner or some one has fiddled or experimented with the barrel/action or both that failed.

Marksman.

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:49 pm

Most sellers including armories do not allow you to test the acuracy of their CZ/Brnos . They will exibit the weapons in most cosmetic way. It all depends on your stars if you get a good CZ/Brno at a reasonable price. Moreover the IOF barrell is more advanced manufacturing tech like hammer forged, chrome flashed and a semi bull barrell which the old CZ and Brnos lack because they were imported about 50 years ago and the tech was not existent then. I dont argue about the make quality of brno / cz vis a vis IOF. I would like to inform all with great pride, that my IOF .22 has won One gold , Three silver and four bronzes. You get a new rifle for 65,000/- max with two mags. You have to search the haystack to get a Brno/CZ and still be lucky .

Basu
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Basu » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:05 pm

IOF .22

Basu
Not all those wander , are lost...............

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:44 pm

Unless you get a very reasonable single shot .22 it’s much better to buy the IOF .22 rifle .
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

chandramohan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by chandramohan » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:26 pm

Sir, you have been on the forum long enough to know the rules regarding posting buy/ sell classifieds here! Please read the rules regarding the same once again and post your free classified ad after going through the usual process - the moderators