Want to buy old single shot .22 lr rifle

Posts related to rifles.
bhuvneshver1234
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Want to buy old single shot .22 lr rifle

Post by bhuvneshver1234 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:35 pm

Can anyone of members experience with old single shot .22 rifle.i saw many rifle on internet the old single shot rifle had no mount to tap scope on it but many gun dealer say it's not a problem to fix a riflescope on gun just simply by drilling and tapscrew and rail plate on it.please guys share your experiences if you had this kind of rifle.and plz write your opinion good or bad.and it is worth than a iof .22 rifle.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Bishop
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Want to buy old single shot .22 lr rifle

Post by Bishop » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:06 pm

bhuvneshver1234 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:35 pm
Can anyone of members experience with old single shot .22 rifle.i saw many rifle on internet the old single shot rifle had no mount to tap scope on it but many gun dealer say it's not a problem to fix a riflescope on gun just simply by drilling and tapscrew and rail plate on it.please guys share your experiences if you had this kind of rifle.and plz write your opinion good or bad.and it is worth than a iof .22 rifle.
Yes, it's possible to drill and tap the reciever to screw in a scope rail.A competent Gunsmith will be able to do it.You can tell whether it's worth it or not only after trying it out.If you can grab one for not more than 35k , it's well worth than IOF .22 LR rifle which will require lots of work to turn it into a shooter.

bhuvneshver1234
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by bhuvneshver1234 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:19 pm

Thanx Bishop for your worthy suggestions

Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vineet » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:28 pm

bhuvneshver1234 wrote:
Go for brand new iof .22 rather than 100 years old single shot imported rifle.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:26 pm

That is a true advice. Many have become dissapointed by buying decades old brno's for astronomical prices. Just for names and buildup.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:16 am

Vineet wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:28 pm
+1 to that advice.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:05 am

Make sure, if you have someone drilling and tapping holes in a gun (including for mounting a rail), they know what they are doing. For instance, you want someone with the necessary skill and equipment who can mount the thing straight. You also want someone who will put things together without needing to do surgery on the bolt handle

I have personally seen examples of this: a really nice Winchester Model 75 .22 where the base of the bolt handle had to be ground down to clear the rail. When I got it, I fixed it and it has a new handle, but the ugly holes are still in the top of the receiver. I gave it to one of my boys, who still has it. (Note: a Model 75 is a "man's gun" in that, while a .22, it is sized and styled like a real hunting rifle, with a very nice walnut checkered stock. It's a real shame that such a nice gun was butchered like this!(

My uncle gave my brother and I his guns, which included a very nice looking 1903 Springfield stocked in a fine piece of Bishop walnut wood. The side mount scope was put on using a really nice Mikron detachable side mount -- but the holes drilled in the receiver are not straight, so on close inspection, the scope sits cross-ways on top of the action. Furthermore, the magazine was inletted into the stock too deeply, which the "gunsmith" fixed by eliminating the pillar tubes, so the magazine bears against the action when the stock screws are tightened. No matter what is done, that gun will never shoot right because of this! To put the scars of the rear sight retaining pin on the bottom of the barrel, our genius threaded the barrel into the receiver a little more deeply (this is one way I know it was a gunsmith -- he had to have a lathe to do this) and the extractor notch in the barrel cone didn't line up, so he cut pie shaped section from the cone and now about 1/4 of it is missing, as he didn't turn the barrel in far enough to use the original extractor slot fully. Finally, he didn't weld the handle back on to the brightly polished bolt correctly, and the handle broke off.

All of the above would tell me that you should take the advice given above. I've seen plenty of guns in the shops that look like cheese graters from the holes of these people modifying them. Unless you have someone who can do work who REALLY knows what he's doing, then just get a gun that's grooved for a scope from the beginning.

I have my Marlin 39A .22 from when I was a kid -- these old ones (it's as old as I am) are really nice, and it is VERY accurate. I would love to put a scope on it to aid my old, tired eyes, but I won't have anyone drilling holes in the thing. I made other arrangements with a different gun, and I'll shoot the Marlin every now and then for fun. I fully understand the allure of old guns, as most of mine are old. I love old guns, but there's a point where asking them to do something that they aren't made for is going too far.

But, in the end, it's your choice -- YOU have to be the one who is satisfied and has to live with the result.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

gwattal
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by gwattal » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:00 pm

Bishop wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:06 pm
bhuvneshver1234 wrote:
Yes, it's possible to drill and tap the reciever to screw in a scope rail.A competent Gunsmith will be able to do it.You can tell whether it's worth it or not only after trying it out.If you can grab one for not more than 35k , it's well worth than IOF .22 LR rifle which will require lots of work to turn it into a shooter.
Is there a good gunsmith in Uttar Pradesh who can do it ?

Govind

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:21 am

timmy wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:05 am
Make sure, if you have someone drilling and tapping holes in a gun (including for mounting a rail), they know what they are doing. For instance, you want someone with the necessary skill and equipment who can mount the thing straight. You also want someone who will put things together without needing to do surgery on the bolt handle

I have personally seen examples of this: a really nice Winchester Model 75 .22 where the base of the bolt handle had to be ground down to clear the rail. When I got it, I fixed it and it has a new handle, but the ugly holes are still in the top of the receiver. I gave it to one of my boys, who still has it. (Note: a Model 75 is a "man's gun" in that, while a .22, it is sized and styled like a real hunting rifle, with a very nice walnut checkered stock. It's a real shame that such a nice gun was butchered like this!(

My uncle gave my brother and I his guns, which included a very nice looking 1903 Springfield stocked in a fine piece of Bishop walnut wood. The side mount scope was put on using a really nice Mikron detachable side mount -- but the holes drilled in the receiver are not straight, so on close inspection, the scope sits cross-ways on top of the action. Furthermore, the magazine was inletted into the stock too deeply, which the "gunsmith" fixed by eliminating the pillar tubes, so the magazine bears against the action when the stock screws are tightened. No matter what is done, that gun will never shoot right because of this! To put the scars of the rear sight retaining pin on the bottom of the barrel, our genius threaded the barrel into the receiver a little more deeply (this is one way I know it was a gunsmith -- he had to have a lathe to do this) and the extractor notch in the barrel cone didn't line up, so he cut pie shaped section from the cone and now about 1/4 of it is missing, as he didn't turn the barrel in far enough to use the original extractor slot fully. Finally, he didn't weld the handle back on to the brightly polished bolt correctly, and the handle broke off.

All of the above would tell me that you should take the advice given above. I've seen plenty of guns in the shops that look like cheese graters from the holes of these people modifying them. Unless you have someone who can do work who REALLY knows what he's doing, then just get a gun that's grooved for a scope from the beginning.

I have my Marlin 39A .22 from when I was a kid -- these old ones (it's as old as I am) are really nice, and it is VERY accurate. I would love to put a scope on it to aid my old, tired eyes, but I won't have anyone drilling holes in the thing. I made other arrangements with a different gun, and I'll shoot the Marlin every now and then for fun. I fully understand the allure of old guns, as most of mine are old. I love old guns, but there's a point where asking them to do something that they aren't made for is going too far.

But, in the end, it's your choice -- YOU have to be the one who is satisfied and has to live with the result.
Tim,

Excellent advice as ever.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Shooterlike
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Shooterlike » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:54 pm

Bishop wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:06 pm
bhuvneshver1234 wrote:
Are iofs really that bad, i have an dealer who asks fo 55k for an american single shot it looked different had a funny stock, i was thinking i could get a new .22 iof, but kindly advice on

Sam Kunal
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Sam Kunal » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:29 pm

I saw one bsa with magazine fed system . I can check if you are interested

casual shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by casual shooter » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:44 am

I Have a IOF .22, sparingly used, which has been modified by some master crafts man from Mumbai, where are you from, can send me your details in PM...regards, and yes its not a single shot..

chandramohan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by chandramohan » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:13 pm

Single shot bolt action cz model 242 excellent condition expected price Rs 2Lac.mumbai base.
Last edited by chandramohan on Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:49 pm

Single shots go cheap, but some of them are excellent shooters, very very accurate. All depends on what/ where/ condition etc. For example the BSA Cadets built on martini action are usually super accurate but sell for 20,000 or less.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:35 pm

Myself and my friends have got six target shooting medals ( open sight)with my IOF. Mind you if you are even buying brnos, they have come to India not less than 30 years ago. IOF .22 may sound odd to some conoisiours of firearms or wealthy people who will shell out a few lakhs for just the name of BRNO /CZ. In fact IOF production technology is very advanced than the old phoren ones offered for astronomical prices. Ask people who own and shoot with IOF.22 they will vouch that it is value for money.