How We Can Import Gun If we are Sports Shooters

Posts related to rifles.
javedali923
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

How We Can Import Gun If we are Sports Shooters

Post by javedali923 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:09 pm

Hello All Team Member's,
I have one big quarry in recent days i participate a shooting match and score 20 out of 25. So if i want to import weapon (Like 12 gauge Beretta Silver Pigeon or Bruno .22 Long Range Rifle) out of India through sports related activity can any body tell me the process for same and explain the customs rule also. And any body knows the dealers in India which deal in this kind of import weapons for shooters.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vineet
Veteran
Veteran

Re: How We Can Import Gun If we are Sports Shooters

Post by Vineet » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:47 am

Only renowned shooters are allowed to import firearms.
Vineet Armoury
Arms, Ammunition & Accessories.

partheus
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by partheus » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:43 pm

You need to get a minimum qualifying score at a shooting discipline in the nationals to become eligible for importing firearms. So, if you want a Beretta shotgun, then you need to first make it to the nationals, get a score equal to or greater than the MQS, which will make you a renowned shot. You will then need to apply for a license under the sports quota. Be prepared to cough up a LOT of cash if you're interested in anything other than air pistol or rifle.

Also, if you do become a renowned shot in a discipline, then you will only be allowed to import one weapon used in it per year. So, if you get a MQS in trap, then you can import one shotgun. If you qualify again next year, then you can import another one. Becoming a renowned shot in one discipline does not entitle you to importing weapons used in other disciplines. Meaning, a renowned shot in Trap cannot import a rifle or pistol, they can only import a shotgun.

Mr.Shome
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Mr.Shome » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:05 am

partheus wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:43 pm
You need to get a minimum qualifying score at a shooting discipline in the nationals to become eligible for importing firearms. So, if you want a Beretta shotgun, then you need to first make it to the nationals, get a score equal to or greater than the MQS, which will make you a renowned shot. You will then need to apply for a license under the sports quota. Be prepared to cough up a LOT of cash if you're interested in anything other than air pistol or rifle.

Also, if you do become a renowned shot in a discipline, then you will only be allowed to import one weapon used in it per year. So, if you get a MQS in trap, then you can import one shotgun. If you qualify again next year, then you can import another one. Becoming a renowned shot in one discipline does not entitle you to importing weapons used in other disciplines. Meaning, a renowned shot in Trap cannot import a rifle or pistol, they can only import a shotgun.
Hi Partheus,

A bit confused.

I guess, applying for a license under the sports quota doesn't requires one to be a renowned shot. As per law, aspiring shooter rank is the law, although I agree with the saying, 'the law is an ass'.

Aren't renowned shots entitled to import reliefs?

Regards.
Mil Sake Aasani Sey Uski Khwaish Kisko hai. Zid toh uski hai, jo muqaddar mein likha he nahin

javedali923
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by javedali923 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:37 am

Dear Partheus
thanks for your valuable response on my post and its guide me a lot. recently I score 19 out of 25 in State Level so as i am eligible for north zone clay pigeon trap shooting so if i qualify the North zone match so can i eligible for import or i try further for nationals. or can you know the score for become an Aspiring shooter.
partheus wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:43 pm

partheus
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by partheus » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:42 am

Mr.Shome wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:05 am

Hi Partheus,

A bit confused.

I guess, applying for a license under the sports quota doesn't requires one to be a renowned shot. As per law, aspiring shooter rank is the law, although I agree with the saying, 'the law is an ass'.

Aren't renowned shots entitled to import reliefs?

Regards.
Hi, yeah, that's true, you can apply for a sports license soon as you become an aspiring shooter by getting a MQS in a state game. But, aspiring shooters still can't import weapons. The op can go for a license if he has cleared state, however, he will still need to become a renowned shot to be able to import a gun.

Yes, renowned shots needn't pay import duty on their weapons.
javedali923 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:37 am
Dear Partheus
thanks for your valuable response on my post and its guide me a lot. recently I score 19 out of 25 in State Level so as i am eligible for north zone clay pigeon trap shooting so if i qualify the North zone match so can i eligible for import or i try further for nationals. or can you know the score for become an Aspiring shooter.
Congrats on clearing state! Here's the document on Aspiring Shooter as given on the NRAI website -

https://www.thenrai.in/PDF/3f5a45d1-38d ... 4e48d5.pdf

I don't know what the MQS is for clay pigeon, but, if your score is equal to or higher than the MQS, then you already are an Aspiring Shooter and can apply for a sports shooting license. Unfortunately, qualifying north zone or even Mavlankar (pre-nationals) won't enable you to import a gun. You have to get a MQS in the nationals to be able to do so.

What you can do is shop around for a shotgun of your choice in the local market here in India. As the latest change to the Arms rule reduced the number of weapons that can be possessed on a license from 3 to 2, you might find some shooters eager to dispose of their hardware.

Mr.Shome
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Mr.Shome » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:45 am

Thank you for for the detailed reply Partheus.

@javedali923

Congratulations and all the best ahead.
Mil Sake Aasani Sey Uski Khwaish Kisko hai. Zid toh uski hai, jo muqaddar mein likha he nahin

partheus
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by partheus » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:36 pm

Cheers!

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:32 pm

Great responses @partheus (y) :)

Unfortunately, our National Rifle Association India (NRAI), has increased the required scores for aspiring shooters across all disciplines, as of October/ November 2019.

Currently the mqs for aspiring shooter in trap/ skeet is 30/50 (i.e. per the 2 rounds required in NR matches), it used to be 18/50, so a massive increase!

@javedali923 I'm not sure how your state conducted the match, but an NR match for both trap and skeet, requires one to shoot 2 rounds of 25 birds each, for a total score out of 50 (25+25).

For junior shooters, the only requirement is to participate in a recognised district/ state/ zonal competition, there is no mqs requirement at all. Though they are limited in the number of firearm licences etc., as compared to aspiring shooters.

Cheers!
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

javedali923
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by javedali923 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:49 pm

mundaire wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:32 pm
Great responses @partheus (y) :)

Unfortunately, our National Rifle Association India (NRAI), has increased the required scores for aspiring shooters across all disciplines, as of October/ November 2019.

Currently the mqs for aspiring shooter in trap/ skeet is 30/50 (i.e. per the 2 rounds required in NR matches), it used to be 18/50, so a massive increase!

@javedali923 I'm not sure how your state conducted the match, but an NR match for both trap and skeet, requires one to shoot 2 rounds of 25 birds each, for a total score out of 50 (25+25).

For junior shooters, the only requirement is to participate in a recognised district/ state/ zonal competition, there is no mqs requirement at all. Though they are limited in the number of firearm licences etc., as compared to aspiring shooters.

Cheers!
Thank u mundaire for info today my result is uploaded on my NRAI id so its 38 out of 50 so i thik i am eligible for aspiring shooter. One thing i also want to know if i want to convert my arms license State to All Over India On this is it possible.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:04 pm

Besides the extra firearms one can hold as an aspiring shooter, they are also eligible for:

All India licence
15,000 rounds ammunition quota

Cheers

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

partheus
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by partheus » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:13 pm

Thanks @Abhijeet :)

I am a bit confused about the junior shooter part. The latest regulation dated 24th Feb 2020 (https://pib.gov.in/PressReleseDetailm.aspx?PRID=1604150) uses the terms junior shooter and aspiring shooter interchangeably with both allowed 2 weapons. Also, the NRAI link on Aspiring shooter states the following in section 2.b. --

A junior shooter deemed to have participated in the official competitions as laid in Para 2 (d) of the MHA notification dated 4th August 2014 only if he has entered such competition after achieving the required MQS or has subsequently achieved the MQS in such competitions as laid down by the NRAI for this purpose. Scores for this purpose is the scores required to participate in the respective events of respective GVM by all the juniors of all three sections i.e. Rifle, Pistol and shotgun.

At least in this doc, it seems junior shooters have to achieve a MQS as well? Or, has this rule been done away with?

Thanks.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:23 pm

I'll need to recheck per what you've mentioned above, but the initial intent of the rule was that for junior shooters, participation in district/ state/ zone was to be deemed enough - as the whole idea was to encourage young talent.

Late night now, let me revert tomorrow.

Cheers!

www.gunowners.in

javedali923
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by javedali923 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:03 am

mundaire wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:04 pm
Besides the extra firearms one can hold as an aspiring shooter, they are also eligible for:

All India licence
15,000 rounds ammunition quota

Cheers
Dear Mundaire
Really Appreciate your support on this page to all of us. Can you told me for aspiring shooter certificate to whom I contact i am from Himachal so i contact HIMACHAL PRADESH STATE RIFLE ASSOCIATION or NRAI for providing me the latter or a certificate that i am a aspiring shooter. Because for license and ammo quota extension i submit the same documents to my DM Office. or can i get your number

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:26 pm

You should apply to your state association, they are the competent body to issue an aspiring certificate for someone who has attained the required mqs in the state competition.

www.gunowners.in