Only one rifle, which one to keep?

Posts related to rifles.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Only one rifle, which one to keep?

Post by mundaire » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:05 pm

This video by Hickok in USA explores which rifle he would choose to keep if he had to give up all his other rifles.

While this is merely speculation of "what if" for those living in most free democracies of the world, in India most of us are today being forced to make similar choices BY LAW.

So, some of the observations made by him seem quite pertinent. My personal takeaways from the video:

1) chose a rifle you enjoy shooting and which is accurate (duh!)

2) choose one which fits you well (see above)

3) Ammo is available (how else would/ could you shoot it?)

4) don't get caught up in value and history when making this choice, you can after all keep only 1 (our current law limits us to only 2 firearms, so I'm assuming your other one would be a shotgun or handgun).

Do weigh in with your opinions and share what you think.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

P.S. I had half a mind to post this under RKBA, but then thought let's see how this discussion develops :)
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Only one rifle, which one to keep?

Post by timmy » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:33 am

Not a bolt action, but given the constraints, I would vote for a .22 rifle.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:45 am

IOF 3006, for this part of the world, love to hate it but can over look and over come and make it workable
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:17 am

H&H .375 magnum would be my personal choice . Gold standard cartridge for every game including the elephant with the right cartridge and experience. Flat shooting cartridge and never have the problem of too little gun. If only our government realises that legally armed citizens are a country’s best defence against threats , both internal and external. Hope they learn from Ukraine .
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:17 am

.22 LR.
If SHTF - I’d rather have 2000 rounds I can carry and move. No one today is going to take on the bad guys- idea is to survive, forage, and last choice to take on some one
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Prabhath
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Prabhath » Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:44 pm

Would have to be a good .22lr for me.

Martin Clarke
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Martin Clarke » Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:49 pm

Agree with Eljefe, I would keep the .22 LR....given the constraints, can easily carry enough ammo.
I could still hunt for food.....and the bad guys would not hear me do it!!
While in India, my .22 has cleanly taken wild boar, nilgai, chital, geese, duck etc. with solids and hollow points.
The idea is to get close enough within 25 to 30M to take an accurate shot in the head.
I found the Eley H/points, and Sellier Bellot solids amazingly effective.....still use them today.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:54 pm

my second one would be 105mm for the long rage stuff, since 3006 is somewhat limited
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:53 pm

I wish we had the variety and numbers that Hickok has.
I own a .22 LR bolt action rifle but I also agree with the point that Rakshit and Nagarifle are making keeping in mind the 2 firearms limit and the circumstances in general.
Lately I have been toying with the idea of replacing the rifle with a shotgun and a legally permissible pneumatic air rifle.

best,
Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:15 pm

nagarifle wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:54 pm
my second one would be 105mm for the long rage stuff, since 3006 is somewhat limited
Nope.
Try a CG 84mm. Atleast you can carry it 😉
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:49 pm

If switch barrel models are not allowed, I will go for .22LR. The advantages in a survival situation are endless.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:13 pm

First I would like to be in a position of being able to choose.

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:27 pm

Ammo availability pips most other considerations in my opinion. So it would have to be one of the calibers .30-06 or .315 IOF or .22. I am not considering other calibers due to the relative lack of abundance. I consider self defense a serious issue and .22 in my opinion is not the greatest so that's out.
Between .315 and .30-06, I would go for the .30-06 because of the longer range flexibility. Also if one had a handgun in .32ACP / .32S&W Long/.30 Mauser, one could use an adapter to fire these in a 30-06 for small game etc.
Because of the situation in India I had often thought about these kinds of scenarios and have gone through this exercise before.
Regards,
Anand

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by james » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:42 am

As per Indian law.
Assuming 1 handgun is already there. I would go for reliable 12 bore pump or semi shotgun as 2nd weapon.
Rifle would be the third possible option and 22lr is only our option.
If above being scenario then any reliable hi-cap semi 22 like ruger 10/22, if budged is permitting.
That's my purely personal opinion.
James.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:37 am

timmy wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:33 am
Not a bolt action, but given the constraints, I would vote for a .22 rifle.
Building on my earlier comment, I have two .22 rifles. One is an old Marlin lever 39A, and this is a very fine gun. The other is a children's model "Cricket" single shot bolt action that I originally bought for shooting with the grandkids when they were little. I have mounted a 1" tube Weaver 4x scope on it. It is quite small, about 760 mm long overall, and quite accurate. It has a plastic stock that's unaffected by weather and I shoot both high velocity and reduced noise loads, which fire a 1.3 gram projectile at 15 ft-lbs / 20 joules. The duplex reticule in the scope quite handily compensates for the low noise loads at the high velocity zero point of 50 yards.

This gun, though somewhat crude and having little esthetic appeal, is compact, stone-reliable, accurate, and quite usable. I would choose a handgun for the other pick on the two gun limit, if called upon.

But more in keeping with the exact parameters of the video, for a centerfire bolt rifle, I'd keep my Finn M39 Mosin. It is accurate, it fits me and I shoot it well, and I have plenty of supplies for it stored away. Sorry, RFI 2A, but the M39 makes the most sense, as the video author alluded to a different time when great limitations were imposed. This would seem to mitigate against reloading and call for something that could take the rigors of a rough life, remaining useful for many tasks.

If the parameters were lifted to remove the bolt action requirement, I think an SKS would be selected instead. It would fit a "Ukrainian scenario" best and still do almost everything any other long gun could do.

Speaking in this vein, consider this debunking of a popular "un-quote": https://www.factcheck.org/2009/05/misquoting-yamamoto/

I have read Prange and Goldstein, and they are respected historians whose views carry a lot of weight for me on this. Yet, in a large country of varying geography (as opposed to a "small island," where things didn't work out so well), Afghanistan seems to show that a widely armed populace should deter rationally considered aggression.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman