Ross Seyfried's Rigby Best Quality 577 Nitro Express

Posts related to rifles.
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Ross Seyfried's Rigby Best Quality 577 Nitro Express

Post by timmy » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:52 am

Normally, I'd copy this article and paste it here, along with including the pictures. But this article is too long and has too many pictures!

Ross Seyfried is one of that rare group of excellent gun writers who was a Professional Hunter in Africa, an ISPC World Champion, an advocate of big bore handgun hunting, and a truly knowledgable reloader. He is also a great writer who can relate his expertise and experience into words, making great stories.

Here is his story about his first African rifle, a Rigby Best Quality 577 Nitro Express:

http://www.classicarmsjournal.com/the-king-of-rifles/

For something extra, here is his story about restoring a Wesley Richards 16 guage Paradox rifle:

https://www.westleyrichards.com/theexpl ... e-explora/
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

For Advertising mail webmaster
Jr.
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Ross Seyfried's Rigby Best Quality 577 Nitro Express

Post by Jr. » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:49 pm

Thanks timmy,
Very interesting read on history of the 577 Nitro Express.
It is a beautiful Rigby Rifle.
Probably the dream Gun of every Double Rifle enthusiast.
Not sure if it has the famous Rising Bite (can’t make out in the photos).
The last Rising Bite was made in 1932 until production was recommenced in 2015.
(As per the Rigby website).
I have not had the opportunity to handle anything above a 450/400 Nitro Express.

Regards,
Jr.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:55 pm

Jr. wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:49 pm
Not sure if it has the famous Rising Bite (can’t make out in the photos).
I would assume so, since it has the same engraving pattern as this rifle:

For our members who may not be familiar with this subject, I would mention that, for a break-open action, whether single or double barrel, SxS or over-and-under, the underlug locking system is the weakest method used to lock the action, as the stress occurs above it, which is the least advantageous place with regard to leverage at which to lock the action.

Various designs address this issue: a "doll's head" has an extension between the barrels shaped like a mushroom head, where the wide part engages a corresponding recess in the receiver. The doll's head is tapered from top to bottom so that it may rotate into the top of the receiver and fit tightly. This is a simple design, as it involves no moving parts or additional mechanism.

The L C Smith rotary bolt mechanism does away with the underlugs completely, using a rib between the barrels with a slot cut into it. A rotary bolt inside the receiver, looking like an upside down comma, has it's point rotate into the slot, locking the action. As the slot and "tail of the comma" are tapered, wear is accounted for by moving the tail of the comma deeper into the slot as the locking surfaces wear.

Beretta over-and-under shotguns use a unique system of tapered pins, where the pins engage holes on each side of the barrel block, between the barrels.

The Rigby "Rising Bite" system has the rib that engages the receiver slotted also, but in a vertical, rather than horizontal plane. As can be seen in the picture above and in the following three, a portion of the receiver is raised to fit within the slotted rib, and the rear portion moves up and down to lock the action. With the rear portion of the inletting part of the receiver raised, interference with the slot in the rib is obtained and the action cannot open.

Jr. wrote:
The last Rising Bite was made in 1932 until production was recommenced in 2015.
(As per the Rigby website).
I didn't know that they were available again, so I checked Rigby's site:

https://www.johnrigbyandco.com/guns/the-rising-bite/

Given their quoted price, I don't think that I'll be adding one to my collection anytime soon. Unfortunately.
Jr. wrote:
I have not had the opportunity to handle anything above a 450/400 Nitro Express.
You've got me beat here, Brother, as I've never had the privilege to see one in the flesh. I guess that I need to visit the NRA Museum sometime -- also quite unlikely!

caption: Rigby reverse engineered a 1902 vintage Rigby Rising Bite double rifle so they could begin making rising bite rifles again. That 1902 rifle was made for His Highness Maharana of Udaipur. This picture is of the Rigby Rising Bite rifle made for Her Highness the Maharani of Udaipur which she took delivery of in 1924. It is in .470 Nitro Express and can be seen on display at the NRA’s National Firearms Museum near Washington DC (Picture courtesy “omnivorous bob” nitroexpress.com forums).

An interesting display with Gayatri Devi, indeed.

Harry S. Truman

Jr.
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Jr. » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:33 am

timmy, a very detailed and well written article on the ‘Rising Bite’.
The illustrations are very helpful and will clear the concept.
As written on the Rigby website, it is worth the mention
The last custom ordered Rising Bite Rifle’s, which left the Rigby factory in 1932,
Were built for the Maharaja of Karauili (Rajasthan),
These were a pair in .405 Winchester and .350 (Rigby)No.2.
The .416 Rigby owned by the Maharaja of Surguja (Chhattisgarh) was another legendary Rifle.

Regards,
Jr.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:31 am

The hand fitting required for the Rigby system must have been immense!

Sometimes, such designs have a beauty of their own just from this perspective, and these rifles are no exception here -- they are art.

Harry S. Truman