Russian & USA New Sniper Rifles

Posts related to rifles.
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Russian & USA New Sniper Rifles

Post by timmy » Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:59 am

There are two articles here, one on each rifle. Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

from: https://www.popularmechanics.com/milita ... per-rifle/
Meet the Chukavin, Russia’s New Sniper Rifle
The Chukavin sniper rifle will replace the Dragunov SVD in Russian Army service.

BY KYLE MIZOKAMIPUBLISHED: DEC 6, 2018

The Russian Army is about to get its first new sniper rifle in decades. The Chukavin sniper rifle, or SVC, replaces the Cold War–era Dragunov SVD. A fully modern rifle, the Chukavin comes in a variety of calibers, with a maximum range of more than 1,600 yards.

For decades, the Russian Army has relied on the Dragunov SVD rifle for its sniper and designated marksman duties. Introduced in 1963, the Dragunov is a semi-automatic rifle designed to provide accurate aimed fire. The Soviet Army issued them on a wide scale to compensate for the AK-47’s relative lack of accuracy.

Russian Army snipers with Dragunov rifles, 2016.

After the breakup of the Soviet Union, the Russian Army inherited large stocks of small arms, and has coasted on that inventory ever since. The SVD rifle, although good by the standards of the early 1960s, is woefully obsolete for today’s battlefield. The Russian Army needed a new sniper weapon, and a new weapon had the potential to become a hit on the international arms market.

The Chukavin originally debuted at Russia’s 2017 ARMY exhibition. Like the SVD, the Chukavin is chambered in 7.62x54R, but also comes in the Western equivalent .308 Winchester and the high-powered .338 Lapua Magnum. The Lapua-chambered version has an estimated effective range of 1,640 yards. According to Army Technology, the new weapon utilizes a “gas-operated short-stroke piston with rotating bolt,” making its internal operation similar to that of the AK-series of assault rifles.

In addition to new calibers, the Chukavin features a full-length Picatinny rail on the upper receiver and hand guard for attaching optical scopes, iron sights, and other aiming aids. The Chukavin also features what appears to be a U.S.-made Harris bipod, laser designator, sound suppressor, and barrel-mounted flashlight. The barrel appears free-floated within the hand guard, meaning its only point of contact with the rest of the rifle is where it attaches to the upper receiver.

Earlier this year, Russian president Vladimir Putin visited Kalashnikov Concern, the manufacturer of the Chukavin, and fired several rounds. (Of course he did.) Here’s the video. Putin’s rifle is equipped with a German-made Schmidt and Bender riflescope, which will probably not equip Russian Army rifles as they are very expensive.

(youtube video unavailable)
from: https://taskandpurpose.com/news/marines ... per-rifle/
Marines Are Already Calling Their First New Sniper Rifle Since Vietnam ‘An Incredible Win’
The Marine Corps confirmed in early April that its snipers would get the Mk13 Mod 7 sniper rifle to replace the M40...

BY CHRISTOPHER WOODY, BUSINESS INSIDER | PUBLISHED MAY 11, 2018 12:00 PM

The Marine Corps confirmed in early April that its snipers would get the Mk13 Mod 7 sniper rifle to replace the M40 rifle, versions of which the Corps' snipers have been carrying since the early days of the Vietnam War.

The Mk13 is scheduled to be fielded in late 2018 and throughout 2019, according to a Marine Corps release. And after Marines from active duty, reserve, and training units tried out the new rifle at the beginning of April, they were pleased with the new addition to the arsenal.

“After the first day on the range, they were sold,” project officer Capt. Frank Coppola said in the release.

Lt. Col. Paul Gillikin, Infantry Weapons team lead at Marine Corps Systems Command, said the most recent version of the M40, the M40A6, would remain in use for training and as an alternate, but, he noted, “When the Mk13 Mod 7 is fielded, it will be the primary sniper rifle in the Marine Corps.”

Putting the Mk13 into wider use will also add commonality to the Corps' equipment and give Marine scout snipers the same capabilities as NATO forces.

Sgt. Randy Robles, Quantico Scout Sniper School instructor and Marine Corps Systems Command liaison, explains the features of the Mk13 Mod 7 Sniper Rifle during training aboard Marine Corps Base Quantico, Virginia. MCSC will field the Mk13 in late 2018 and throughout 2019 to increase the lethality and combat effectiveness of scout snipers on the battlefield.U.S. Marine Corps/Kristen Murphy

The bolt-action Mk13 was already the primary sniper rifle for Marine Corps Special Operations Command. Feedback from MARSOC use, as well as an assessment by MCSC and a year of use by scout snipers from 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines, who took it on a deployment, led the Corps to adopt the new weapon.

Former snipers told Marine Corps Times that the M40's range — nearly 1,000 yards, less than the military's other rifles — wasn't sufficient for battlefields in Iraq and Afghanistan. One said the April decision was a “long time coming.” (Fighting in Afghanistan has also revealed the shortcomings of the standard 5.56 mm rifle round.)

The Mk13 will add more than 300 yards to scout snipers' range, taking it beyond 1,000 yards, and the rifle's .300 Winchester Magnum caliber round is heavier and leaves the gun at a faster speed.

“The .300 Winchester Magnum round will perform better than the current 7.62 NATO ammo in flight, increasing the Marine Sniper's first-round probability of hit,” Chief Warrant Officer 3 Tony Palzkill, the battalion gunner for Infantry Training Battalion, said in the release. “This upgrade is an incredible win and will allow snipers to engage targets at greater distances.”

The rifle will also be deployed with a better day optical device that offers better magnification and will improve snipers' ability to locate and fire on targets.

“The new day optic allows for positive identification of enemies at greater distances, and it has a grid-style reticle that allows for rapid reengagement without having to dial adjustments or 'hold' without a reference point,” said Sgt. Randy Robles, Quantico Scout Sniper School instructor and MCSC liaison.

“With this type of weapon in the fleet, we will increase our lethality and be able to conceal our location because we are creating a buffer between us and the enemy,” Robles added.

Marine Corps documents for the fiscal year 2018 defense budget included nearly $4.3 million for the Mk13, according to Marine Corps Times, which reported that the service plans to buy 356 of the new rifles.

Sgt. Randy Robles, Quantico Scout Sniper School instructor and Marine Corps Systems Command liaison, demonstrates the Mk13 Mod 7 Sniper Rifle during training aboard Marine Corps Base Quantico, Virginia. MCSC will field the Mk13 in late 2018 and throughout 2019 to increase the lethality and combat effectiveness of scout snipers on the battlefield.U.S. Marine Corps/Kristen Murphy

The Corps' 2019 budget proposal included a little less than $1 million to acquire 116 of the M110A1 Compact Semi-Automatic Sniper System rifles that the Army is adopting, though the Marine Corps said at the time that the M110A1 was not intended to replace the M40A6. Marines themselves were also critical of the CSASS, which has a maximum range less than the M40A6.

New sniper rifles are just one change the Marine Corps is seeking to make.

The service is distributing the M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle to more Marines — and buying them at a lower cost after lawmakers complained about the price — and has made room in its budget to buy 35,000 of the new sidearm the Army has acquired. It's also looking at a new antitank round, eyeing a new version of the 84 mm Carl Gustaf recoilless rifle, and requesting information about lightweight .50-caliber rounds.

The Corps is also shaking up its unit formations, getting rid of the 0351 infantry assaultman specialty and lowering the number of Marines in each squad to 12 from the current 13, while adding two new leadership positions.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Russian & USA New Sniper Rifles

Post by Vikram » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:33 am

Thank you for the articles, Tim. The Russians seem to persist with a semi rifle, and the 7.62X54R cartridge, for their sniping work. Is it because of manufacturing and logistical limitations or is it because they think that it is adequate for the duties? Cheers.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:19 pm

Vikram, I assumed thaat the Russians would be going with 338 Lapua Magnum, as many other nations seem to be using it for sniper and/or special purpose use. 338 Lapua Magnum would, of course, have an advantage over 300 Winchester Magnum.

Also, while the Russians/Soviets have always stressed the importance of snipers in their battlefield doctrine, the USA has ignored sniping after conflicts end multiple times -- not a very smart approach. I would assume from these facts that the Russians would stress sniping capability in a rifle, although recent events do call some of their judgment in this area into question.

I'm not sure about the semiautomatic versus bolt action issue, as I hadn't seen either choice as a limitation, provided sufficient expertise in design and manufacture go into each type. Would you think differently on this?

Harry S. Truman

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:24 pm

Tim,

I too read about sniping not being given the attention it deserves by the American army. I find that some what surprising given that the US is involved in armed engagements more than most nations.

Russians, I think, persist with the AK inspired semi sniper rifles mostly due to the lower cost of manufacture. I could be wrong though in my assumption.

Re Semi vs bolt action sniper rifles, I have only read about this topic and do not have any idea beyond that.The consensus seems to be that semis are not as accurate or reliable as the bolt rifles. Having said that, the Russians seem to be perfectly happy with their choice of the platform. The two semi-auto sniper rifles I know are the PSG-1 and the Dragunov. I fired a few shots with the Dragunov and failed to place a single shot on the target. That was entirely because I just could not read the cluttered reticule of the scope. It was my first and only experience with the Dragunov. One can be had here for about $2,000. I will pass on that. :wink:

I have a read a some very nice things about the H&K PSG-1.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:34 am

Vikram: I agree that trying to get an accurate rifle out of something with a stamped steel receiver and two riveted trunnions isn't the ultimate way to go.

I guess that sniping is not just about sitting at a bench rest and popping off rounds at a target 1000 or 1500 meters away. That, I would think, might hold the answer to why the Russians have gone with a semi-auto sniper rifle since the Tokarev SVT-40. This didn't work out for the Soviets like the Garand did for the USA due to bedding issues, I understand, but I note here that while the Soviets went with sniper SVTs, just like they picked Mosin Nagants from the assembly line and took the bell curve accurate ones for sniper rifles, the USA stayed with the M1903 Springfield design, rather than using the Garands for that purpose.

The big USA move for a sniper rifle during the Vietnam era, when the skill had to be revived, went with a Model 40 Remington, while the Soviets developed the Dragunov. I wonder whether there was a tactical doctrine for sniping that made the semi-auto more desirable to the Soviets?

But comparing 7.62x54r to 7.62x51, I don't see either cartridge having much advantage over the other. The 54r is rimmed, but that never seemed to be an issue in non-fully automatic uses.

The 300 Winchester is a step up above those two in range, but the 338 Lapua Magnum is getting into 50 BMG territory, without the disadvantages of that big brass banana.

I see your point and would feel the same way about buying a Dragunov, but I confess that I did try to buy an SVT 40 back when one could be had for a somewhat reasonable price. Alas, I was out of work in those years, and like so many guns that got by me at that time, i couldn't swing a deal. I considered a CETME back in those days too, but I don't have one of those, either. I think I'll live through it, though.

The thing with these two articles that I got was that it seems as if the Russians are still more serious about developing an optimal sniping platform than the USA, based on the 338 Lapua Magnum vs the 300 Winchester Magnum. As far as incorporating either in a semi-auto vs bolt platform, again, there's the doctrinal use issue that I don't know, but the other would be that the semi-auto would possibly be more expensive to develop and produce than a bolt gun. Folks over here have used M16/M4s and M14/M1As to hit targets far away, however. I find the whole business pretty interesting.

Harry S. Truman

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:36 pm

This is a very good review of the Dragunov and its variations. Henry Chan is/was an officer in the US Army. He also explains well the thinking behind using a semi-automatic rifle for sniping purposes.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:15 am

Very good, Vikram -- the USA requierments were different in the sense that the SVD-carrying "sniper" was also supposed to give squad infantry support. Thus the need for a semiautomatic action that can provide this support firepower, as opposed to the USA interpretation of Daniel Boone picking off select targets from long range and then moving quickly away.

I appreciated his assessment of the SVD knock-offs from Yugoslavia, Iraq, and Romania. I note that all of them are based on the Kalashnikov system, but the SVD's Dragunov system is different. For instance, it has a three lug bolt (as opposed to the AK's two) and a short stroke gas system (as opposed to the AK's long stroke). The short stroke action is what the the SKS, the AK's predecessor used, and for anyone who's shot both rifles, AK and SKS, the SKS is obviously a very sweet-shooting rifle, while an AK is somewhat clunky and has more recoil. This is because in the long stroke system, the gas piston and operating rod are part of the bolt carrier and add weight, which is felt in recoil. The short stroke system, on the other hand, has limited piston travel, which gives the bolt carrier a "kick." The piston and rod in the short stroke system don't add weight to the bolt carrier because they are separate parts.

It can be said that, despite the outward similarities, the SVD uses the Dragunov system, while the AK uses the Kalashnikov system -- two different things. While these systems are not obvious from the outside, there is a way to tell: The Dragunov has an obvious distance between the magazine and trigger guard (you can see this in the video's picture at 1:30), while the AK magazine is right up against the trigger guard, which carries the magazine retainer.

As the Dragunov is ntended for squad support, my guess would be that reacquisition of a target after the first shot was an important design consideration, especially with the more powerful 7.62 x 54r round. I have not fired an SVD or the 7.62 x 54r knock offs shown in this video. I have fired the AK and SKs (with the short stroke action) and there is quite a difference, I think.

So, this would be my reaction to the video -- thanks for providing the link! The Soviets have always had a different doctrinal view of "sniping," and this video clarifies that.

Harry S. Truman

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:43 pm

Thank you for the insights into the design features of the SVD and its copies, Tim.

This video seems to touch upon some of the features you mentioned.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:32 am

This is an interesting account. The SVD is a rifle I'd really love to have, especially in the fast twist Soviet version. That seems like something that will not happen, though!

His comments about the Americans are not often heard, but I think that they were spot-on. While the M1 Garand was a good rifle for its purpose (although I think it was a waste of money when one compares its performance with the British No.4 Mk I and No. 1 Mk III), someone was obviously too wedded to the Garand design when a successor was adopted. The M14 was a dead end, from a service rifle perspective. The FN-FAL. CETME, and even AR-10 showed the way to go for a 7.62 x 51 battle rifle -- they were everything that the M14 was not.

The Soviets had a very nice rifle in the SVD -- too bad that they are so expensive, like everything else that is nice (and some things that aren't so nice, too). It is clear that they had thought out their tactics (actually, re-thought them, since they had been practicing their sniper doctrines continuously, unlike some other nations). Then, they designed a very capable rifle to do that job, one that the SVT could not do to satisfaction.

Thanks for the video link, Vikram!

Harry S. Truman