the 577-450 Martini Henry Rifle researched and discussed

Posts related to rifles.
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

the 577-450 Martini Henry Rifle researched and discussed

Post by timmy » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:47 am

This video begins a series on the Martini Henry rifle and its 577-450 cartridge.

For over twenty years, anywhere the British went, the Martini Henry rifle was with them. Considering all of the single shot cartridge rifles of this era, like the French Gras, the Russian Berdans, the German 1871 Mauser, The Dutch Beaumont, the Swiss Vetterli, the Springfield "Trapdoor", and the Rolling Blocks of many other nations, I think that the Martini Henry was superior to them all, both in design and in service.

Othias covers all of this and more in this first of a series of videos on this great rifle and its tipping block action.

“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

For Advertising mail webmaster
ofbiro
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: the 577-450 Martini Henry Rifle researched and discussed

Post by ofbiro » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:33 pm

Timmy, many thanks for showing an extremely interesting video.
Although the Martini Henry was a great rifle, I don't agree with you in deeming it superior to the Vetterli or the Mauser 1871.
Both of the latter evolved, later on, in repeaters while the Martini Henry was unsuitable to the conversion.
Second, the muzzle was easily damaged by the steel cleaning rod.
Third, the one piece stock of the Mauser enabled better accuracy.
Anyway, thanks again for the movie, mentioning the only poem with two verses about the Martini.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: the 577-450 Martini Henry Rifle researched and discussed

Post by eljefe » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:39 pm

This a Martini in .577/.500.
My friend, Tony Small,made himself a birthday gift many years ago. Quite a Martini man, he has them from .303, .38/.40 and such, to a wildcat .17 cal made from a necked down .310 martini cadet ctg.
Poor foxes.
rsz_93aaa085-db5f-4d58-84fd-5d50611d302e 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."