Brno Mod 5 - Mint Condition

Posts related to rifles.
herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Brno Mod 5 - Mint Condition

Post by herb » Tue May 30, 2023 11:58 pm

The term "mint" gets thrown around a lot when describing old guns but I think no one will take offence to my using that term for this
50+ year old rifle.

Sharing some pics of my Brno Model 5 (ZKM 573) in its original box as it came from the factory. I have never shot it or hunted with it, maybe I am just being silly but I have a few other Brno's that I use regularly and always left this one in the safe and took it out only for an occasional cleaning. It will be "new" only once if at all I can use that term for this old rifle.

Some additional details of the Brno Model 5 (Ref: https://jggunsmith.wordpress.com/2019/09/30/a-bit-about-brno-22-rifles/

"Model 5 rifles are a hard to find variation. Speculation is that they were developed in 1958 mostly as a training rifle for Middle Eastern countries. They were a mix of patterns, using the barrel and stock of the Model 1, a new trigger based on the Model 4, and either Model 1 or 2 pattern sights. As usual other variations are also found. Many were part of a short lived UAR, and later Egyptian contract, with some also for Jordan, Syria, and Lebanon. Approximately 33,000* were made with an estimated 15,000 going to the Middle East. Also called the ZKM 573."

Most of the army contract rifle came with beech wood stock, this is the 573 Luxus model and came with a nice walnut stock probably for the American civilian market.

Your thoughts on leaving this gun as is or take it out hunting shooting?
Last edited by herb on Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Brno Mod 5 - Mint Condition

Post by timmy » Wed May 31, 2023 3:32 am

Herb, thank you for sharing this rifle, it is a beautiful specimen! Speaking for myself, I wouldn't bother to shoot it, as I'm sure that you aren't short of other rifles to shoot.

UAR: this is the sort of thing that makes guns so interesting! I like the histories and back stories that accompany them. Back when I was young, the maps or articles would talk about the UAT. I knew about Egypt and I knew about Syria, but I didn't understand very much about Nasser and the twilight of colonialism (as it then existed). I used to wonder about that UAR business. As I got older and added some knowledge, these things became ore clear. So, this rifle with the nice, untouched wood and clever Czech way with designs and metalworking has a story behind it, too!

Also, thanks for the informative article on these and the related weapons.

There are some guns that are fun to own, get out every now and then, and touch and look at them, admiring their lines and reflecting on their story. I'd say that this is just such a gun.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:27 pm

That’s a stunning example, herb. Thank you for sharing and can’t agree more with what Timmy so eloquently wrote!

Cheers
SS

herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:34 pm

I too enjoy reading all of Timmy's posts and his knowledge about history / firearms that he is able to put into words so well.

hornet22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hornet22 » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:04 pm

This model is the most popular all over the world when it comes to .22lr rifles. The IOF is a copy of this rifle and I have even seen a Chinese copy of this rifle.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:59 pm

Lovely little rifle with an interesting history, Herb. Congratulations. Whatever you decide to do with it, whether shooting with it or just holding it to appreciate its company, you will be happy doing it. Enjoy.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Martin Clarke
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Martin Clarke » Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:07 pm

Really a joy to see the fine lines, and the wood and metal finish; exquisite.
They don't make guns like this anymore....wish they would.
Personally I would keep it unfired.

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:28 pm

I always wanted Mod.1 Brno but then settled for Mod.2 brand new for an amount which was slightly eye brow raising those days around Rs. 2100/ + dealers commission. Six years down the line came across this Mod.5 with the dealer and got it for my dear friend. Loved the way it handled though my own Mod.2 too has tapered barrel and micro grooves

Marksman.

herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:57 pm

Rs. 2100/- for a Mod 2 Wow!. I am sure Rs. 2100 was a tidy sum in those days, I am assuming 1970's.
Do you still own the Brno? if yes please post some pics.

Cheers!

drshamsherrana
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by drshamsherrana » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:24 pm

exact same condition/same model rifle is up for sale with a friend.

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:12 pm

herb wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:57 pm
Rs. 2100/- for a Mod 2 Wow!. I am sure Rs. 2100 was a tidy sum in those days, I am assuming 1970's.
Do you still own the Brno? if yes please post some pics.

Cheers!
Of course I still have it, it was built in 1972 and that's the year when I bought it. I have a Leopold compact 4X power scope sitting on it. Needless to say its a Tack driver. Those were the days when ammo for my .315 IOF cost RS.80 for 100 ctges.

Cheers!!!
Marksman

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:28 pm

marksman wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:12 pm
Those were the days when ammo for my .315 IOF cost RS.80 for 100 ctges.

Cheers!!!
Marksman

Wow!
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."