hornet22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Accuracy and scope zero with KF .22 LR Rounds

Post by hornet22 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:44 pm

dev wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:07 pm
Doc its 1:16 inches
Marlin uses their proprietary Micro-Groove rifling in the Model 60. The twist rate is 1:16 inches, right-hand. Micro-Groove rifling uses 16 small lands and grooves rather than 4, 6 or 8 deeper grooves used in most rifles.
It's a semi-auto if you remember, don't know if you had a go with it when you were here. Groups well with Lapua and all CCI ammo but no go with KF.
Agree with Timmy that it's better to use good ammo that works than scratch the head with bad stuff. I was just curious if anyone else had been facing similar problems and found some solution, But the strange thing is that I have shot a one-hole 5-shot group with an ordinance factory bolt action .22 LR at 25m off a sandbagged rest prone with the same miracle bullets.
Semi autos are less accurate than bolt actions due to the vibrations caused while ejecting the empty shell , IOF 22 is a bolt gun and bolt actions have no part movement while the gun is fired

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:51 am

hornet22 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:44 pm

Semi autos are less accurate than bolt actions due to the vibrations caused while ejecting the empty shell
Any blowback action, including a 22, does not have the bolt move rearward enough on firing to break the seal of the cartridge case with the chamber before the bullet has left the end of the barrel.

By the time the empty cartridge case is ejected, the bullet is long gone.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:05 am

hornet22 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:44 pm
dev wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:07 pm
Doc its 1:16 inches
Marlin uses their proprietary Micro-Groove rifling in the Model 60. The twist rate is 1:16 inches, right-hand. Micro-Groove rifling uses 16 small lands and grooves rather than 4, 6 or 8 deeper grooves used in most rifles.
It's a semi-auto if you remember, don't know if you had a go with it when you were here. Groups well with Lapua and all CCI ammo but no go with KF.
Agree with Timmy that it's better to use good ammo that works than scratch the head with bad stuff. I was just curious if anyone else had been facing similar problems and found some solution, But the strange thing is that I have shot a one-hole 5-shot group with an ordinance factory bolt action .22 LR at 25m off a sandbagged rest prone with the same miracle bullets.
Semi autos are less accurate than bolt actions due to the vibrations caused while ejecting the empty shell , IOF 22 is a bolt gun and bolt actions have no part movement while the gun is fired
Nope. Your concept of a semi auto is wrong. Read what Timmy has explained in his post above.
Also read on fluted chambers and delayed roller action semi autos.

Still does not explain why a rifle is only inaccurate with ONE brand only.
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Automatic1947
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Automatic1947 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:37 am

The rifle not being accurate with a particular brand of ammunition is mainly two reason one would be low quality ammo and the other being that some ammunition brand or lot does not fire well in some barrels.

hornet22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hornet22 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:33 am

Then why are most sniper rifles bolt actions even though they have slower rate of fire than a semi auto?
The bolt does lock the cartridge stronger than any other type of action and if you want match grade accuracy even that bit of weak point will matter and this is not my personal opinion, the most accurate rifles in the world are bolt actions across brands.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:39 pm

This thread began with a discussion of KF 22 ammo in rifles.

Statements were made about scopes making inaccurate ammo more accurate, and vibrations from ejecting spent cartridges causing barrel vibrations that affected accuracy -- both incorrect ideas.

Not content with this, there's now attempt to prove some long-forgotten point by bringing up sniper rifles (not so common a chambering in 22 long rifle) and strength of actions and the supposed effect of strength on accuracy. I have to wonder what this has to do with KF 22 ammo, but whatever.
hornet22 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:33 am
Then why are most sniper rifles bolt actions even though they have slower rate of fire than a semi auto?
The bolt does lock the cartridge stronger than any other type of action and if you want match grade accuracy even that bit of weak point will matter and this is not my personal opinion, the most accurate rifles in the world are bolt actions across brands.
I have some things that need doing, and am not inclined to post a lengthy talk in response to the question and statements above. I will mention that a good study of bedding, action strength (which can be discussed from several aspects), and various semiauto and auto actions, how they work, and how accuracy of these different self-loader actions differs, could answer the question and the statements, but I'll let this topic rest, at least until it's evident that there's been some attempt to learn about these matters, as opposed to slinging about statements which don't seem to have a purpose for germane to the topic at hand.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:06 pm

Timmy,you beat me to it

Hornet 22-
Start another thread about your doubts/concepts of scopes , semi auto Vs bolt gun accuracy etc.
this has gone waaay off topic
AND
Hasn’t been of use to the OP
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."