"New" 7.62x51 made in India assault rifle?

Posts related to rifles.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

"New" 7.62x51 made in India assault rifle?

Post by mundaire » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:34 pm

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 653712.cms
DRDO launches assault rifle 'Ugram' for Indian Army
Sandip Dighe / TNN/ Jan 9, 2024, 10:50 IST

Pune: The Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE) and a Hyderabad-based private firm launched an indigenous assault rifle named ‘ugram’ (ferocious) on Monday.

This is the first time that the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) lab has collaborated with a private industry to manufacture a 7.62 x 51 mm calibre rifle, said an official.

The weapon is designed and developed to meet the operational requirements of the Indian armed forces, paramilitary forces and state police forces, said the official.

The rifle, weighing less than four kg with a 500-meter firing range, was unveiled at the hands of Shailendra Gade, the director general of the Armament and Combat Engineering (ACE) system of the DRDO.

Scientists and private players said that it was developed based on the General Staff Qualitative Requirements (GSQRs) issued by the Indian Army for assault rifles in the recent past.

The scope of the project is huge in the current security scenario because of a shortfall in assault rifles in the forces. The import of AK-203 rifles has been affected owing to the ongoing war between Russia and Ukraine, the official claimed.

A Raju, the director of the ARDE, said the laboratory developed the design for the weapon. "In this case, we have followed the newly introduced concept of development cum production partner (DCPP) to execute the project and that is how the private firm is involved in it. Now, we have developed the weapon in collaboration. We will now conduct various internal trials at our firing range to test various aspects of the weapon before going for user trials," he added.

Weapon testing is a time-consuming process. A weapon should attain the basic threshold of the forces’ requirements in terms of accuracy, smooth functioning etc, said the officials.

"We are in the process of constituting a board of officers, represented by the Indian Army, to carry out a series of user trials in different weather conditions. The user, in this case the army, will test the weapon in high-altitude regions, deserts, etc in the coming months. If the weapon does not meet a particular requirement, we will have to take necessary measures to attain it at the earliest," Raju added.

The ARDE officials and members of the firm worked hard to develop the weapon in 100 days."It was a commendable achievement. We could do it because our design was already ready," added the director.

G Ram Chaitanya Reddy, director of Dvipa Armour India, claimed that they are among 30 licenced holders to manufacture weapons for the armed forces. "It is the first successful joint venture project that we have executed in a record time. We have developed five rifles for testing in the first slot. We will give 15 more rifles to the ARDE for advanced testing," he said.

Unique barrel manufacturing unit at ARDE
The ARDE has established a dedicated barrel manufacturing facility on its campus. The DRDO has spent Rs 60 crore on the project. It will manufacture barrels for various weapons in a quick time. It will help private industries to execute their weapon manufacturing projects, said officials.

The machines have been imported from Austria. The ordnance factories use these machines for manufacturing barrels.

PS Prasad, project director of the small arms section of the ARDE and in charge of the facility, said, "Private industries have got the licence to develop weapons. But they do not have the technology and facility to produce barrels for the weapons. In that case, they will have to import barrels. It is a costly affair for them. At the initial stage, no firm will get a huge quantity order for the weapon. So, they will not invest in this kind of facility. Also, we have the required expertise in this area. We have to handhold them. Otherwise, they will not be able to execute their projects. As a result, the DRDO invested in this project to meet their requirements."

Prasad said that there is a high demand already from manufacturers for developing barrels that will be cost-effective as compared to the imported ones.
While I am in full support of any and all domestic small arms manufacturing efforts, I simply cannot but make the following observations:

1) A 4 kg 7.62x51 rifle, as compared to the 4.34 kg battle tested 7.62x51 SLR/ FN-FAL? How is this a substantial enough improvement to justify spending millions upon millions of taxpayers money for R&D and replacement cost, for something that will essentially perform about the same (and that's assuming it's as good as the legendary SLR).

2) Are Indian taxpayers being taken for a merry ride, based on the assumption that few in India know anything substantial about small arms/ firearms?

3) Where is the audit and soul searching on the vastly expensive and failed INSAS experiment? Why is no one talking about that? Who is to blame for that colossal waste of time/ effort/ money and lost lives (due to its inadequacies)?

This entire thing reminds me of an anecdote from the 1970s-1980s... its pure hearsay and I cannot attribute it to any real instance, but it went as follows:

A Japanese delegation arrived in India to evaluate foreign aid opportunities. After 2 weeks here, while they were preparing to leave, an Indian bureaucrat asked the leader of the Japanese delegation, what he thought and how much aid India could expect?

His response: "It seems like you are a very rich county and it does not seem like your country needs any aid at all! Hence, I'll be recommending the same."

Upon being prodded further, he says, " only a very rich country can afford to waste so much. Clearly you don't need any foreign aid!"

While entirely apocryphal, the above does highlight some of our institutional weaknesses as a nation.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: "New" 7.62x51 made in India assault rifle?

Post by timmy » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:01 am

Using 7.62 x 51 in some areas of Indian Army deployment, such as Kashmir, Ladakh, and Sikkim, seems quite reasonable.

However, it also seems quite odd that the matter of selecting a service rifle, or rifles, would have been so unsuccessful over 25 years, in light of the threats and challenges India has faced and is facing.

I read of buying types of weapons from foreign sources -- so many different types! How logistical support can be effective, I can't understand. Surely, in the stresses of a conflict, the chances of so many kinds of rifles floating about would have many opportunities for a serious problem.

Other sources of weaponsm such as Israel (Tavor) and Russia (AK types) have their own problems right now. Is it to be assumed that no crisis will occur as long as outside sources are tied up in their own situations?

it would appear that some entity or entities have development and procurement tied up in a very unproductive environment.

I'd think that a competitive and vibrant commercial arms market and accompanying industries would be something welcomed in this situation, rather than squelched.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:50 pm

Somebody somewhere is getting a promotion
Somebody somewhere is opening a Channel island bank account.
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

partheus
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by partheus » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:13 pm

Since we're on the topic, I will love to hear your thoughts on the US move to the Sig 6.8X51, @Timmy. Seems like it's supposed to replace the 556 NATO, which, I am struggling to understand. The Sig round generates 80k psi pressures. Won't that make burst and auto fire damn near impossible? Could our babus be looking at the US move and trying to copy it as best they can?

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:34 pm

@Partheus while not exactly relevant to your post, IIRC Indian units while in Sri Lanka (the IPKF disaster), had converted some of their SLRs to full auto. This was an attempt to match up to the LTTE guerrillas, who's select fire AKs were much better suited to the kind of engagements there. Can't have been easy to handle a full auto 7.62x51 SLR!
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:30 pm

I remember hearing about the “full auto jugaad “ from an ex guards officer who had used one . He was happy they had something that could go full auto however it had its limitations like all jugaads tend to have some limitations. All Indian SF operatives that I’ve spoken to swear by the AK . They say nothing is more reliable and robust . It’s not just the weapon they also prefer the cartridge .
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

partheus
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by partheus » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:17 pm

Full auto FALs? Those must have been punishing to shoot! The movement back to 7.62 seems to be motivated (to me) partly due to better armor and the fact that our army is engaged in insurgencies rather than traditional warfare. From everything I could gather in my talk with servicemen, the 55 grain bullets just don't drop the bad guys fast enough, doubly so when they're running towards them wearing suicide vests, amped up on crazy juice. The AK certainly makes sense here. Besides its reliability, the rounds pack a punch.

This also got me thinking, might the 300 AAC Blackout be a better fit here? The 125 grain bullets from an AAC cartridge replicates the 7.62X39's performance from a 556 system with a 13-16 inch barrel. And, since it's basically a 556 cartridge necked up to a 308 bullet, they don't really need to change anything from their existing 556 systems besides the barrel. I guess the same infrastructure that's pumping out the current crop of 556 ammo can be easily repurposed to make BO too. Maybe just keep working on the INSAS like they did with the M16 while keeping it relevant to the challenges at hand?

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:32 am

partheus wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:13 pm
Since we're on the topic, I will love to hear your thoughts on the US move to the Sig 6.8X51, @Timmy. Seems like it's supposed to replace the 556 NATO, which, I am struggling to understand. The Sig round generates 80k psi pressures. Won't that make burst and auto fire damn near impossible? Could our babus be looking at the US move and trying to copy it as best they can?
There is a lot to unpack to this, such as all of the reasons we've heard about the move from 30-06 to 7.62 NATO to 5.56 and now to 6.8 x 51, which seems like nothing more than going bck to 7.62 x 51 NATO, but just with a little smaller diameter bullet.

But there are several issues that are lost, I think, by the gun discussions between us in the gun community regarding this new cartridge.

One is the operating pressure. 80,000 psi is a huge jump from the 65,000 psi of modern high intensity commercial hunting cartridges. This high pressure is so hot that the new cartridges must be made in two sections -- brass AND steel -- to handle these pressures. The reason for doing this is because the US Army wanted:

1. Long range capability that would:

2. Pierce body armor,

3. When fired from a "short" barrel (short being 400 mm or so)

Let's look at what the US Army was dealing with throughout history:

After the USA Civil War, the Army returned to being a colonial constabulary force: it largely dealt with expanding the USA's frontier into areas not settled by white people of European descent (excluding, of course, Hispanic folks who were either white or mixed ethnicity, but that's a whole 'nuther discussion!). The single shot Trapdoor Springfield in 45-70 worked to meet these service demands.

Around 1890, following the French introduction of smokeless powder that immediately made all other service rifles obsolete, the US Army wanted to join the modern world, which it had ignored. The Trapdoor Springfield's technology was essentially that of a developed Civil War percussion musket conversion, like the British Snider and other efforts. It was hardly as elegant as European single shot developments like the Martini Henry, the Comblain, the 1871 Mauser, or even the Remington Rolling block (another USA rifle0. It didn't need to be, since the Army was only called upon to deal with Native American disturbances.

So, the Army went with the Krag Jorgenson and the Navy with the 6 mm Lee rifle. The Army's selection was found greatly wanting in the Spanish American War, and adapted a mostly copied Mauser 1898 with a slightly more powerful 30 caliber cartridge (30-06) that could be loaded with stripper clips. (the US Army's 45-70 Trapdoors were woefully outclassed by the Spanish 1893 Mausers in 7 x 57 mm, and even the new Krags in regular Army service couldn't match the rapidity offered by stripper clip loading of the Mauser system.)

No longer fighting Native Americans on the frontier, the 30-06 fought for the USA through 3 wars of conventional battlefield demands: WW1, WW2, and the Korean War. The 30-06 had served with the American bastardized copy of the Mauser, the 1903 Springfield, a modified British design, the 1917 Enfield, and the M1 Garand (which, interestingly, dispensed with Mauser stripper clip loading for the Mannlicher "en bloc" system).

After the Korean War, Winchester's parent company, Olin, had developed new "ball powder" propellant that would allow performance similar to 30-06 in a shorter case. This had many advantages for designing better automatic weapons -- machine guns. The US Army's battlefield automatic weapons, the Browning 30 caliber machine gun and the Browning BAR, were woefully inadequate compared to the German MG 34 and MG 42 automatic weapons.

The battlefield requirements were not changed, but the strategic situation now was different: rather than having an overwhelming superiority of Allied forces (Britain, France, and the USA in WW1 and Britain, the USSR, and the USA in WW2), now the USA faced a numerically superior foe -- the Warsaw Pact -- on the battlefield, and needed to counteract them by supplying a largely American force across the Atlantic Ocean.

This meant, in a move that favored the US Army's geniusL logistics, standardizing on a round that could support a battle rifle and a long range capability in machine guns. This led to the adoption of the 7.6 x 51 NATO cartridge. Here, you will note the aficionados of British arms development noting that they wanted a 6.8 mm cartridge that was supposed to be superior. these folks are probably laughing in self-congratulation now, with the USA's adoption of the 6.8 x 51 mm, slapping themselves on the back with predictable smug self-congratulation. However, what was true in 1955 isn't the same thing as what is true today. Not only is it different, but we have gone through another phase of battlefield development between then and now, which is just coming to an end.

What was needed in 1955 was a round that would work on the European battlefield in conflict facing massed armies that could be used in multiple weapons systems. The US Army deemed that round to be the 7.62 x 51 in the M14 rifle, which was nothing more than a development of the earlier M1 Garand. The British wanted a 6.8 mm bullpup rifle, using a cartridge that wouldn't have had the downrange performance in automatic weapons that the 7.62 x 51 did. The US Army took the view that it was better to have the good for logistics purposes (after all, the bulk of munitions would be coming across the ocean from the USA, not from factories in a war-battered Europe), rather than the British approach of "my soldier has a better gun than yours."

The Europeans did have their own weapons, however, in the FN FAL, which I would view as a superior rifle to the M14. The M14, in any event, was hardly successful in the insurgent jungle campaign fought by the US Army in the 60s: Vietnam.

For Vietnam, the M16 was eventually adopted. This rifle started out as the AR10, which was (and is) chambered in 7.62 x 51 -- a competitor to the FN FAL. (Here, I'll note that the AR10 was like the AR15 we know today: a rotating bolt auto rifle operated by direct gas impingement, while the FN FAL used a tipping block action, similar to the Soviet SVT 38, SVT 40, and SKS, operated by a conventional piston. Scaled down to use a military version of the Remington 22 Magnum, the 5.56, the M16 was first used by the Air Force as a replacement for the anemic M1 Carbine.

Despite problems large and small, the M16 has evolved into the current M4, using a heavy bullet offering greater penetration and downrange performance. But note, the M16/M4, facing off against the Soviet 7.62 x 39, has been used and developed for conflicts in the 3rd World, not for large battlefield use. It is used against insurgents, and now we are beginning to see the widespread use of body armor on the battlefield. While the 5.56 has had questionable "knock down" power compared to the 7.62 x 39, it has had superior accuracy, especially at range, due to the rifle's design. Locking up the bolt directly to the barrel, and only using the receiver to guide the bolt, not only makes the AR platform more inherently accurate than the AK, that's how it works out on the battlefield, too. Also, while the piston operated action of the AK has more reliability, the design doesn't offer the accuracy advantages or weight advantages of the AR's direct impingement system. Furthermore, the inexpensive stamped steel AR receiver with riveted locking trunnion is not as rigid as the AR's forged aluminum receiver. Check the slow motion firing video of an AK firing on Youtube, and note how the whole barrel and receiver are flopping about like a spastic loose firehose, and you will get the idea here.

Now that we are entering an era where forces must not only deal with insurgents in close quarter fights in cities, but also with larger armies in open field combat, such as what is now taking place in Ukraine. This lesson isn't being lost on the US Army, which began investigating this and produced a secret report about it in 2017. These requirements are where the 6.8 x 51 cartridge originates.

The new cartridge has to work in multiple platforms, like the 7.62 NATO. It has to work at long range, like the 7.62 NATO, but it has to work in a compact short barreled platform, like the M4. But now, it must operate against armored troops, too, which neither the 5.56 or the 7.62 x 39 will address. This is why, I think, that a 300 Blackout solution wouldn't work. It would fall short on downrange performance, and against armored targets, too.

The US Army, in sort, is asking to have its cake and eat it too, and this requires a cartridge with much increased performance over the M4/5.56 package from a short barrel. This means going back to a larger cartridge and a larger bullet (both in weight and diameter -- "sectional density"). Handling the larger cartridge, similar in size to the old 7.62 NATO means using a receiver the size of the AR10 or FN FAL, so the old AR15/M16/M4 platform won't work. But, the vastly increased pressure, combined with new propellants, supports meeting these new requirements, along with a new technology cartridge case to handle those pressures.

How does this relate to India?

First of all, battlefields are becoming more expensive. Ships have all kinds of gadgets and sophisticated systems, but just a single relatively small 120 mm size cannon is sufficient to displace giant 400 mm weapons. Rockets shoot down rockets, and new rockets travel at very high velocities. Aircraft are proceeding from Gen 5 to Gen 6, and are beginning to leave the old F15, FA18, MiG29, and Rafale Gen 4 aircraft behind, despite improvements in those aircraft. So, likewise, the individual soldier now often has an optical sight on his weapon, is equipped with various radio and location devices, and wears body armor. Every facet of battle is increasing the cost of individual weapons -- this cannot be gotten around or ignored.

We've been used to civilian use of hand-me-down military technology for a long time. I don't see how the cost of the new high pressure cartridges will come into widespread use in the civilian market due to cost, but maybe there's something I'm not seeing here. But for the military, a country that wants to field an army with weapons that can match or exceed all possible enemies, this new technology expensive ammunition seems to be a must, along with the rifles and other weapons to go with it. This is just like the expense of aircraft and ships rising.

Think back to the pre-dreadnought battleship era: Britain had over 50 battleships, and Germany and a few more than 20. The dreadnought revolution meant that battleships were much more expensive, so that at the outbreak of WW1, Britain had 24 battleships and 9 battlecruisers, while Germany had 16 battleships and 5 battlecruisers. (Saying this, I'm only giving an overview -- there is a lot of technicality behind these statements, so I will abbreviate it like this.) War got a lot more expensive! It grew even more expensive by WW2, and afterwards, ships like Adm Hyman Rickover's nuclear submarines firing Polaris and then Trident missiles grew tremendously expensive.

Here, the economy is shown to be the ultimate weapon, isn't it? Affording the weapons needed to fight modern conflicts is a real issue, right down to the individual soldier. Weapons must be chosen that can be bought in quantities that will equip and army, which includes all the manufacturing and development that goes with it.

Pakistan and the battles that take place on the Western frontier must be planned for, but also the Chinese, too. But, there's more: Right now, Modi is buying a lot of Russian oil, and that comes through the Suez Canal. What would India's position be if the Houthis closed down the Bab el-Mandeb Strait? This would certainly impact India's economy. Granted, the US Navy is leading efforts to oppose this, but now that the USA is self-sufficient in oil and has little desire to support Chinese shipping container trade through the area, can India afford to "Let George do it" in an area so vital to its economic interests? There are many ramifications to this question that I'll let members mull over.

Afghanistan and the challenges and rivalries in that part of the world also come to mind, beside the threats in the Northeast and Northwest, and the Western threat.

But my point here is that it may be quite realistic to assume that India may need to project power somewhere, at least in the Indian Ocean theater, to protect its interests. The issues facing the IPKF in the past have been cited, but this sort of challenge facing the Indian forces could be much more intense.

Combining all of these issues, it seems to me that buying foreign weapons might be a good deal for the suppliers, but I'm not convinced that, beyond the "band aid" approach of piecemeal amounts of weapons, particularly rifles, is a viable long term approach to meeting India's needs that I've outlined above.

Not that India has to follow the US Army slavishly, but I am hopeful that some group of people are taking these issues into account, along with their demands and challenges. Generally, I see foreign weapons purchases as not being optimal or viable, both from an economic point of view and a strategic point of view. To be blunt, one doesn't see the Chinese doing this. Not everything China does is perfect -- far from it, but achieving some domestic supply for its military needs is something China has been working at for a long long time, from the days when neighborhood shops copied M96 Mauser pistols at the turn of the last century.

All of this is to say that selecting a cartridge, and selecting a rifle are two things. We talk about these things here as gun aficionados. But such decisions also include infrastructure to make and support these weapons, "hardening" this infrastructure to make it resistant to attack and environmental threats, training people to use and support the rifles in service, etc. In short, this is a huge undertaking for a nation and an Army as large as India's, not to mention the number and disparate nature of the threats she faces.

We see carryings-on in the civilian arms sector -- that's why we are here. But the civilian market doesn't operate in a vacuum. Expertise in design and capability of manufacture do reflect somewhat between civilian and military sectors. I'm being careful here, because a lot of what I'm saying is beyond the scope of our forums, and yet it is not. I will leave this to individual members to reflect upon these issues in their own minds.

But back to the direct issue, it would seem to me that India, like the US Army, would be well-served by a multi-use cartridge and rifle too, given the threats facing her. After all, the demands of the US Army, based on the threats and tasks it faces, aren't so different from India's situation now, or what may be faced in the near future.

Now, as regards the weapons available to the average person, I believe that, like the US Army's cartridge, the civilian market in India is best served by PRESSURE. For instance, I see the high performance "30 Super Carry" cartridge as a way forward of the future. Bullet technology has improved and made the 9 mm pretty much equal to the 45 Auto in performance, and I don't think that high pressure 30 caliber cartridges will be far behind, given their advantages in recoil and number of rounds carried by a gun.

Consider, in the realm of handgun development, the matter of pressure that enters into the development of the 38 Colt, to the 38 Special, to the 357 Magnum. A similar development took place with the 44 Russian, to the 44 Special, to the 44 Magnum. This is old history, but it is possible to leap over the over century old 32 S&W Long and 32 Auto into the present world by using new cartridges and new weapons. This, I think, would be the way forward for the civilian market, although how the political situation would change when such weapons and cartridges were introduced is a discussion I'll pass.

Ruger and other companies have revolvers chambered in 327 Magnum, and locked breech pistols chambered in 30 Super Carry are also available. The FN57 in 5.7 mm might also generate some interest.

Developing these technologies would also have some spill over effect on the military market. Granted, there are PB/NPB issues between military and civilian markets, and the sidearm isn't a very large factor on the battlefield, but none the less, this would be an advantage, I believe.

Having offered my opinions as requested, I will chup and leave the floor to you and others.

Harry S. Truman

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:04 pm

Very illuminating as usual Timmy. Thank you.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:57 am

Thanks, dev!

A Clarification, an observation, and a snarky comment:

Clarification: The British have long noted a supposed "foolishness" on the part of the US Army for selecting the 7.62 x 51 NATO round, pointing to the supposed superiority of their proposed (at the time) of their 6.8 mm round. This reminds me of naval enthusiasts debating whether the Bismarck was superior or not to the New Jersey. Neither ships were designed to face each other mano a mano, they were designed for specific fleet actions in different theaters. Likewise, while the British asserted a superiority of their 6.8 mm round in a fight between a NATO soldier and a Warsaw Pact soldier, there was much more to consider in the selection of a NATO cartridge. Because my comments on this matter have a degree of sarcasm, I don't want anyone to think that my sarcasm applied to them when it wasn't intended to do so.

Observation: One can certainly note the similarity of cartridge case dimensions between the new 6.8 x 51 and the 7.62 x 51 NATO, beginning from the 12 mm cartridge rim and extending to, but not including, the neck. But, as I've said, the cartridges are very different in operating pressures, which necessitates different construction.

A long barreled rifle, like the old 1A1 SLR using the 7.62 x 51 NATO round, might work pretty well in the high altitudes, but it won't be optimal in house to house city fighting that the Army could be called on to perform, especially if the widened range of interest and deployment occurs.

As background, I see the globalization of the post WW2 era, leading up to today, breaking down. Nations will increasingly align themselves into trading blocs and associations of interest, in my view, and this means that the US Navy won't always be around to be the cavalry riding to the rescue, as at Bab el-Mandeb. As the USA pulls back from commitments that are not directly in line with security and national interest, Those who are trading raw materials (like energy) and finished products will need to look after their own security interests.

This new era that we are entering will require those nations who wish to continue profiting from extensive trade links will need to provide their own security, and this will take a number of forms. China has its maritime "String of Pearls" and its "Belt and Road" initiatives, and thus has a naval base at Djibouti to oversee the Bab el-Mandeb Strait, even though they haven't stepped forward to do so. One might think that they have forces available to defend these assets. Is the 7.62 x 39 up to global tasks? I would question whether it is.

The US Army thinks that the 6.8 x 51 can address existing and unfolding requirements of military commitments. What about India? 7.62 x 51 NATO may well address some of India's needs, along with 7.62 x 39 for other tasks. Is a dual standard sufficient to do the job and best meet future needs? Is India close enough to autarky and protected sufficiently by mountains, deserts, and oceans for the existing home capacity, foreign purchase strategy to be sufficient and the best expenditure?

That's something I am suggesting could be pondered.

Snarky comment: I am completely smug about my own choice, because as the owner of a 6.8 mm rifle, a 270 Winchester, I am at the cusp of modernity! Seriously, the issue with the 270 is now the twist rate, where the 1:10 twist and short throat doesn't allow for bullets heavier than 150 grains, in general. A faster twist and longer throat would allow use of the more fashionable longer and heavier bullets -- used for long range, which I don't do. But, I like to throw this in the midst of "old stove society" gun conversations to stir the pot.

But, if necessary, I can always fall back to 577/450.

Harry S. Truman

partheus
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by partheus » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:15 pm

That's very interesting, Timmy! Thanks for sharing your insights. I have no doubts that the 6.8 and 762 will be effective against all the armor that is and will be fielded. However, I am not sure what any of this has to with weapon control. As I said, the stouter recoil will make accurate firing difficult, particularly beyond CQB distances. How is this being addressed? The little I managed to make out about the XM7 is the smart scope from Vortex that's supposed to go on them, however, there's still the issue of managing the recoil generated from over 80k cartridge pressures on full auto being fired unsupported.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:26 am

My understanding is that the great dimensional similarity between 6.8 x 51 and 7.62 x 51 is purposely chosen because, despite the two part construction of the 6.8 x 51 case, some significant amount of manufacturing machinery used for 7.62 x 51 can still be used for the 6.8 x 51 round.

I have also read that there are intentions to convert some existing Army weapons to use the new cartridge, although I haven't found which weapons they have in mind cited. Certainly it will not be M16/M4 rifles, as their actions are far too short to handle the longer 6.8 x 51 mm round. The AR 10 family of rifles are more appropriate for the 6.8 x 51 size cartridge.

Apparently, the US Army is taking the same approach as India: using two cartridges and accepting the logistical burden of doing so. Not all troops will be equipped with the new XM 7 rifle. I'm sure that some of this has to do with the stocks of 5.56 ammunition and the inertia from years of M4/M16 use, but I have no understanding that would aid in quantifying that.

Weight of the XM 7 rifle is said to be in the 4 Kg range, or about a Kg more than the M4.

Recoil of the 6.8 x 51 round in the SM 7 is said to be the same as the 270 Winchester in a rifle of the same weight. This isn't surprising, given that the ballistics are the same. It should be remembered that the muzzle velocity of the 6.8 is obtained from a 400 mm barrel, while the 270 is obtained from a 600 mm barrel -- the advantage given by operating at teh 80K psi pressure level. 270 Winchester was always known for being a lighter recoiling rifle than the "standard" 30-06 hunting rifle, and was sometimes considered more appropriate for smaller shooters, like women and younger people.

It would seem that the US Army considers that going to the 270 Winchester recoil level is the price that must be paid for effectiveness against personal body armor on the battlefield, along with effectiveness at greater ranges. After years of using the 5.56, which has about 1/3rd of the new 6.8 round's recoil, it might be noted that the new 6.8 round does have somewhat less recoil than the older 7.62 x 51 and 30-06 rounds of the past.

Another sacrifice being made for the 6.8 round's adoption is the new battle kit will consist of seven 20 round magazines, rather than the current seven 30 round magazines in 5.56 as used by the M4. One of the advantages of the 5.56 was always said to be that the soldier could carry more ammunition. This advantage seems to be deemed less important than carrying the better penetrating 6.8 round.

As you note, the Vortex scope will also add a little weight, but as the deployment is limited to certain troops, perhaps the 6.8/XM 7 decision is also in consideration of the limited deployment.

I revisited the British 280 round proposal of the 50s and find that the case is a little fatter (12 mm vs 11.3 mm) and a little longer (43 mm vs 39 mm) than the Soviet 7.62 x 39 round. Velocities and pressures that are listed are similar for bullets of about the same weight. (I wonder here if the British were considering rebarreling some of their Mk IV bolt action rifles in the 280 round for rear echelon duties?) The bottom line here seems to me to be that the British wanted to adopt a round similar to the Warsaw Pact 7.62 x 39, but with the ballistic advantage of a 7 mm bullet over a 7.62 mm one. The US Army said no, they wanted a true "battle rifle" round, rather than an "intermediate" assault rifle round.

i conclude from this that the US Army has not "seen the light" of 1950s British "wisdom," but has instead decided to go back to a "battle rifle" cartridge, but one that redefines this class of cartridge in terms of operating pressure and short barrel performance.

Harry S. Truman

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:47 am

Added to the above:

Regarding the issue of Vortex scopes, it's interesting to note that they were selected by the US Army. Vortex scopes are made either in Japan, China, or the Philippines, not the USA. Some of Vortex's highest end scopes are assembled in the USA using Japanese lenses, which is a common practice of USA scope manufactures and has been for a long time. What is often missed here is that the Japanese were making excellent optics from before WW2, as part of their superior (before radar) naval night fighting doctrines.

I do wonder about selecting components for military use based on foreign parts or wholly foreign made, as the Vortex mid-range scopes are made in China and the low end ones are made in the Philippines. None of the lenses for any Vortex scope are made in the USA.

Maybe someone has factored this in to their decisions, or maybe they haven't. Or maybe they did, and their decision will prove to be the wrong one. Who can say?

Harry S. Truman

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:49 am

mundaire wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:34 pm
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 653712.cms
DRDO launches assault rifle 'Ugram' for Indian Army
Sandip Dighe / TNN/ Jan 9, 2024, 10:50 IST

Pune: The Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE) and a Hyderabad-based private firm launched an indigenous assault rifle named ‘ugram’ (ferocious) on Monday.

This is the first time that the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) lab has collaborated with a private industry to manufacture a 7.62 x 51 mm calibre rifle, said an official.

The weapon is designed and developed to meet the operational requirements of the Indian armed forces, paramilitary forces and state police forces, said the official.

The rifle, weighing less than four kg with a 500-meter firing range, was unveiled at the hands of Shailendra Gade, the director general of the Armament and Combat Engineering (ACE) system of the DRDO.

Scientists and private players said that it was developed based on the General Staff Qualitative Requirements (GSQRs) issued by the Indian Army for assault rifles in the recent past.

The scope of the project is huge in the current security scenario because of a shortfall in assault rifles in the forces. The import of AK-203 rifles has been affected owing to the ongoing war between Russia and Ukraine, the official claimed.

A Raju, the director of the ARDE, said the laboratory developed the design for the weapon. "In this case, we have followed the newly introduced concept of development cum production partner (DCPP) to execute the project and that is how the private firm is involved in it. Now, we have developed the weapon in collaboration. We will now conduct various internal trials at our firing range to test various aspects of the weapon before going for user trials," he added.

Weapon testing is a time-consuming process. A weapon should attain the basic threshold of the forces’ requirements in terms of accuracy, smooth functioning etc, said the officials.

"We are in the process of constituting a board of officers, represented by the Indian Army, to carry out a series of user trials in different weather conditions. The user, in this case the army, will test the weapon in high-altitude regions, deserts, etc in the coming months. If the weapon does not meet a particular requirement, we will have to take necessary measures to attain it at the earliest," Raju added.

The ARDE officials and members of the firm worked hard to develop the weapon in 100 days."It was a commendable achievement. We could do it because our design was already ready," added the director.

G Ram Chaitanya Reddy, director of Dvipa Armour India, claimed that they are among 30 licenced holders to manufacture weapons for the armed forces. "It is the first successful joint venture project that we have executed in a record time. We have developed five rifles for testing in the first slot. We will give 15 more rifles to the ARDE for advanced testing," he said.

Unique barrel manufacturing unit at ARDE
The ARDE has established a dedicated barrel manufacturing facility on its campus. The DRDO has spent Rs 60 crore on the project. It will manufacture barrels for various weapons in a quick time. It will help private industries to execute their weapon manufacturing projects, said officials.

The machines have been imported from Austria. The ordnance factories use these machines for manufacturing barrels.

PS Prasad, project director of the small arms section of the ARDE and in charge of the facility, said, "Private industries have got the licence to develop weapons. But they do not have the technology and facility to produce barrels for the weapons. In that case, they will have to import barrels. It is a costly affair for them. At the initial stage, no firm will get a huge quantity order for the weapon. So, they will not invest in this kind of facility. Also, we have the required expertise in this area. We have to handhold them. Otherwise, they will not be able to execute their projects. As a result, the DRDO invested in this project to meet their requirements."

Prasad said that there is a high demand already from manufacturers for developing barrels that will be cost-effective as compared to the imported ones.
While I am in full support of any and all domestic small arms manufacturing efforts, I simply cannot but make the following observations:

1) A 4 kg 7.62x51 rifle, as compared to the 4.34 kg battle tested 7.62x51 SLR/ FN-FAL? How is this a substantial enough improvement to justify spending millions upon millions of taxpayers money for R&D and replacement cost, for something that will essentially perform about the same (and that's assuming it's as good as the legendary SLR).

2) Are Indian taxpayers being taken for a merry ride, based on the assumption that few in India know anything substantial about small arms/ firearms?

3) Where is the audit and soul searching on the vastly expensive and failed INSAS experiment? Why is no one talking about that? Who is to blame for that colossal waste of time/ effort/ money and lost lives (due to its inadequacies)?

This entire thing reminds me of an anecdote from the 1970s-1980s... its pure hearsay and I cannot attribute it to any real instance, but it went as follows:

A Japanese delegation arrived in India to evaluate foreign aid opportunities. After 2 weeks here, while they were preparing to leave, an Indian bureaucrat asked the leader of the Japanese delegation, what he thought and how much aid India could expect?

His response: "It seems like you are a very rich county and it does not seem like your country needs any aid at all! Hence, I'll be recommending the same."

Upon being prodded further, he says, " only a very rich country can afford to waste so much. Clearly you don't need any foreign aid!"

While entirely apocryphal, the above does highlight some of our institutional weaknesses as a nation.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

Pity the ‘ media’ do not consider the public to be gun literate.
Details include:
Weight, caliber and range.
And the need to ‘ make it work’ every where.
And the people taking credit for it.

What an unending misery for the logistics and EME etc to add another ‘ adjective’ to the list.
How about action details? The pic looks like a an AK action.
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

partheus
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by partheus » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:51 pm

Thanks Timmy! That makes a lot of sense. The career 6.8 will take will be interesting. I believe it will start off as a special forces thing, maybe replacing the Scar H, but I do believe it's wider adoption might depend on whether the US can convince other NATO countries to go with their new platform.

I personally am looking forward to seeing more cartridges being given the bimetal treatment to increase their pressure limits. For example, what if they bumped the pressure of 556 NATO to 80k? Could we have those 62 grainers screaming forward at 4k fps :D?