.22lr brno mod1 vs model 2E

Posts related to rifles.
denong
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

.22lr brno mod1 vs model 2E

Post by denong » Mon May 12, 2008 8:30 pm

hi friends, just wanted some expert comments on the advantages of .22lr brno 2e over the model 1. in respect to accuracy and range

For Advertising mail webmaster
cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Re: .22lr brno mod1 vs model 2E

Post by cottage cheese » Tue May 13, 2008 9:01 am

Hi Denong,

Not much of an expert opinion (I'm a hopeless shot!)... I suppose it would boil down to what you're comfortable with, since there is not much to differentiate the two

As regards accuracy, the Mod-1 is equipped with a flip up express-type rear sight...with one fixed and two flip up blades for varying ranges. The Mod-2 has a tangent rear sight (Much like our beloved 303 No.III Mk1s)... Most folks think the tangent sight affords you more accuracy.

Also, I don't know much about different sub-models and batches, but generally the Mod-1 has a slightly shorter barrel.... thats just my observation. If the fact is otherwise, anyone, please feel free to correct me. I'd be glad to know better.

regards,
cc
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Wed May 14, 2008 2:15 am

Mod 2. Better ergonomics, and probably better accuracy. I havent shot a Mod 1 in all honesty.

denong
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by denong » Wed May 14, 2008 1:20 pm

frens, what about the range. since the mod 2 is slightly longer will there be a difference in range.

hock ann
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hock ann » Wed May 14, 2008 3:59 pm

I have fired many Brno .22 Rifles but I always like the Mod-1 from which I have fired & hit at a max distance upto 300 meters & the target size was almost half square feet.
The best advice is to try both the rifles at a range before you buy & the one that hits the target is best for you.
HK,

cherian.k.k
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cherian.k.k » Wed May 14, 2008 5:31 pm

i have fired both mod-1 and mod-2 . fortarget shooting i prefer 2. accuracy wise there is no much differance

denong
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by denong » Fri May 16, 2008 12:00 pm

actually i have seen a .22 mod 1 and a model 2E, wih company markings on it mentioning its manufacture date as 1990. i am in a delimma regarding which to choose from. The owners say, that the model2E has a better range thaN the model1. moreover the manufactured date of 1990 has generated a lot of interest in me. could the model 2E be a fake, because imports have been stopped since 1985.

shahid

Post by shahid » Fri May 16, 2008 12:08 pm

How can it have a better rnage ? On what grounds ?

Practically speaking both Model 1 and 2 have an effective shooting range of 75 to 100 yards.

Nobody takes shots beyond this range with a .22LR,
and most shots are taken between 40 to 70 yards all over the world.

What matters more is which ammo and quality. A CCI stinger is the best but may not suit all rifles. One has to experiment and determine what is good, it is not easy as 1,2,3 pronouncing this is good, this is bad.

Open the bolt of model 1 and check the grroving pattern. Is it Microgrooved ? Some were, if yes then it's a good buy.

Depending on condition my preference would be towards Model 1, it is handier and resembles a Kriko. Post pics if you can to see what exactly is being touted as a model 1 and this 2 E.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Fri May 16, 2008 6:20 pm

Well denong I can agree somewhat with shahid.

A lot of people keep asking me the wrong question when they inspect a new gun or are planning to buy one... the standard question is " What is the range?"... or " How powerful is it?"

When you talk of .22lR rifles, unless the gun is particularly run down or short barreled, most .22 rifles will have a barrel length of around 20"-25"... that being the case, most (if in reasonable condition) will exhibit ballistic performance that have negligible difference....given the same type of ammo.

Ammo type may also provide a performance tweak or drop depending on make.

The Brno Mod1 and 2, other than (maybe) a small difference in barrel length, sights and furniture, will deliver adequate to superb performance depending on the user's proficiency. Shahid has a preference for the flip sights of the Mod-1 because he has 'grown' into it. You could too. Others prefer the tangent sights of the Mod-2 and can put up a good shoot with it. It's all about what you are comfortable with. Stick a scope in either, the differences are narrowed down.

regards,
cc
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

denong
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by denong » Fri May 16, 2008 7:15 pm

thanks guys. i am quite satisfied having read some of the best arguments. i will settle for a 1.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Sat May 17, 2008 3:06 pm

Hi Denong

the question it seems to me is about range and accuracy.

the question u should ask is at what range would u be shooting at, u need to be realistic in this.

u should also keep in mind at what target u be shooting at ie paper target etc.

what u should not look at is how far the bullet goes. As bullet can travel some distance but become ineffective for target shooting. what u should be looking at is the effective range at which u can hit the bulls eye without comprising accuracy and not have to worry to much about weather variables.

so u have to do two things as far i see:

1/ select the rifle which can meet ur requirements, and this is in some way like selecting a car. 8) try to apply the same principle when selecting the rifle.

2/learn little about ballistics. :D

regards

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:44 pm

how does a microgrooved bolt of a brno mod 1 look like-i mean how does one recognise it.

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:40 pm

A Micro groove barrel has more then five grooves that are generally seen in every rifle. The principal is to have more shallow grooves instead of 5 deep ones. This creats lesser friction on the bullet l and retaining more velocity without effecting it's accuracy adversely. My Brno Mod.2 has 12 grooves.
AFAIK,Brno model 1 never came with Micro grooves. Not all Model 2 had it either. They came out with model 5 sometime in late 70s which was a blend of l good things of both 1 & 2. eg shorter barrel (22"), folding leaf and bead front sight, micro grooves (not sure) and a new model 2 bolt with safety at 90 Degrees from the bolt.
I always liked the handling characteristics of mod.1 except the model 2s that had tapered barrels instead of the ugly bull barrels.
Marksman
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
be any India because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
women and breed a hardier race!"

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:29 pm

Has anyone managed to fit the IOF .22 rifle 10 rd mag in a brno mod 1 rifle

cherian.k.k
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cherian.k.k » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:01 pm