Original Oberndorf Mauser Type A in .30-06

Posts related to rifles.
herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:42 am

Congrats Mack The Knife, A great rifle in a legendary caliber. It is rightly said the last major development in bolt action rifles was accomplished when Paul Mauser designed the M98, every thing after that was just cost cutting measures marketed as improvements.

Congrats once again.....will post again after consulting Speed's book for year of manufacture.

Herbert
Last edited by herb on Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Hunter
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Original Oberndorf Mauser Type A in .30-06

Post by Hunter » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:44 am

Congrats Mack The Knife,simply brilliant!,,,BTW I have been offered a pre 64 Winchester model 70 in .375 H & H.Will post u some photos shortly.

Take Care!

kragiesardar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by kragiesardar » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:55 am

What a find! These deals happen once in a lifetime. Anytime you want to sell let me know ;D

raj
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by raj » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:01 am

very nice weapon sir...
a real beauty!!!!
---I have strong feelings about gun control. If there's a gun around, I want to be the one controlling it.

---"Slow is Smooth,Smooth is Fast"

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:22 am

Timmy, Yaj, Herb, Clary, Kragie and Raj, thank you.

Ravi (Indian), this is a particularly well maintained one and the most surprising part was not finding rust below the wood line.

Herb, could you tell me what the following refer to:

172,28 as seen here...

and Ch50, S and the inverted 7 found amidst the B, G, U, N proof marks.

Kragie, I am loosing count but I think you are fifth or sixth in the queue. ;)

Clary, no e-mail yet.

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:30 am

Mack The Knife, keep an eye on ebay and the other gun sites for parts and/or accs you're looking for. I'm sure you'll find all the gehna to dress up your latest flame(thrower).

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:50 am

well said sharief

Congrats Mack The Knife it sure looks well cared for and couldnt have found a better place than yours. now how does one get to bengalaru.

cheers

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:24 am

Sharief: I do not use Ebay or PayPal so that option is closed to me. Anyway, I am in no hurry. The only thing I do want to stock-up on is bore solvent and getting that is proving to be a pain in the backside. The only solvent Cabelas will ship is Sweets 7.62 but by surface post (90 odd days) and to make matters worse it is on back order since mid-December. Let's see if Brownells is more obliging.

shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:32 am

Its a good rifle - well why good a Mauser is a legendary rifle.
This particular model was not mass produced in 30-06 but found favour in 7 mm and 8 mm metric calibres ( European Calibres ).

A rifle of this same make and model was acquired by a grand uncle of mine through Manton & Co. Calcutta in 1940s.

He used it sucessfully for hunting wild boar and hog dear on Elephant back and christined it the game getter. ( HH Nawab Mohammad Nazir of Bakhtiarpur ).

Later in 1970s my father sent it to Kanpur for fitting a scope. This rifle has a proportionally high reciever compared to the angle of the stock. The drillings made on the reciever and the scope ring bases fitted made it even higher.

To compensate this an extra piece of wood was added to the butt and the whole the whole contraption held together with a butt cover ( leather ) tied with laces.

Needless to say it never worked well. This contraption was always removed and the rifle was used with Iron sights.

The rifle featured on an all time list of classic weapons in a Cofee Table book published by the Freeman press London.

However my cousin who acquired it in early 1990s favoured his BRNO 30-06 over this and sold it to a dealer in Kanpur to acquire a Winchester model 70 in cal .270 instead.

OverUnderPump
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by OverUnderPump » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:18 am

:cheering:

regards
8)
OUP
The universe was born with a BIG BANG, no wonder guns run in my blood.

Disclaimer: My post is either a question or a reply to one. I am stating an opinion. If my opinion differs from yours, It's not intended as an insult.

bullshitwalks
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by bullshitwalks » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:28 am

i aint that technical and dont much understand the jargon. all i can say looking at the pics and the calibre that this is an absolute beauty.
i know it is stupid to ask , is the rifle on sale?

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:56 pm

bullshitwalks";p="65010 wrote: i know it is stupid to ask , is the rifle on sale?
BSW ,

If I were you , I would run for cover after asking this . :)

cheers,

RP.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:03 pm

Hi Mack The Knife,

The numbers 172/28 probably represents the contractor and sub contarctor codes . The numerical codes are visisble on the other parts as well. On a 9.3 x62 rifle which I had .... code 172 represented a company called Sil Metallwerke or some thing sounding very similar dont remember the name exactly) I have always thought these numbers to be contractor name codes..If I am wrong I would surely be learning something new by your buying a great rifle.

Its strange that the dealer didn't bother to check the Mauser Rifle since these are supposed to be one of the best rifles around or may be in India Winchester , Mosberg & Parker Hale etc are the only names that people know. Its lucky of you to have been able to buy this excellent rifle. Guess what it would be doing to the dealer when he would be reading all these posts and your research on the subject.

Your earlier post on polishing & finishing a stock remains a classic piece which I refer to often .....

Olly
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Olly » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:17 pm

Dear Mack The Knife,

Congratulations on getting this revered piece of history and being one of the very few owners of this rifle in India !

I can relate to your happiness as I own a Mauser 'Butcher Blade' bayonet for the Gewhr 98 rifle ! It is probably the most prized possession that I have and I am sure your rifle too will fall in that category.

It would be a dream to shoot it one day, especially after the excitement it has created... !!

Biren
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Biren » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:31 pm

Congrats Rustum great gun in very able hands