Opinions required regarding calibre choice

Posts related to rifles.
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Opinions required regarding calibre choice

Post by Grumpy » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:20 am

Some members may be aware that I have a Finn Classic 512SD with a set of barrels in 9.3x74R. I have ordered another set of barrels in .30-06 but over the last few days it has occurred to me that this might not be the best choice. My reasoning is as follows:
I already have a .30-06 bolt action rifle and duplication of the calibre isn`t particularly sensible;
As the .30-06 is a rimless design the barrels will have extractors and not ejectors;
A rimmed calibre would be more in keeping with the `image` of a double rifle;
I have a .243, a 6x55, a .30-06 and a 9.3x74R. Logically a deer hunting calibre between the 6.5 Swede and the .30-06 would be a good choice and
I like the versatility of the .270 Win.
I`m considering the 7x65R. It`s a rimmed cartridge with a bullet diameter of .284", energy is similar to the .270 and the .308 Win and is adequate enough for everything up to and including Red Stags. The 173 gr bullets in particular have a high SD. I gain the advantage of ejectors and fill a gap in my `armoury`.
I`d appreciate members thoughts on this matter.
Thanks,
John.

For Advertising mail webmaster
danish21
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by danish21 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:39 am

Try .375 magnum for a sure kill. Your hunt will not move a inch if it gets the shot of .375 magnum.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Opinions required regarding calibre choice

Post by Grumpy » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:46 am

Calibres larger than the 9.3x74R are not available in a medium frame gun like the Finn Classic. The licencing authorities are unlikely to allow a .375 H&H for hunting in the UK - I`ve got a .375 H&H variation but only for range use or hunting outside the UK and will probably build or buy a falling block rifle for that role - and the .375 H&H is far too powerful a calibre for Red Deer Stags even as it is intended for use on dangerous or thick-skinned game.
Thanks for the suggestion Danish21 but it`s not practical. It`s a shame that we don`t have Buffalo wandering around the British countryside........................

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:31 am

Grumpy,

The 7x65R chambering is an excellent one and a natural companion for your 9.3x74R. If you must have a 30 calibre, then the 30R Blaser would be a choice, though, I have heard that it is not only dead, it is going into rigor mortis.

You do have rifles in 6mm 6.5mm and 30 cals. The 7mm is missing in your lineup and your choice of the 7x65R is a perfect one.

Cheers!

Mehul

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:27 am

Thanks for your response Mehul - as you know, your opinion is always appreciated. The .30 Blaser is a non-starter; Apart from the fact that it is not offered in the Finn Classic I wouldn`t have anything to do with it anyway because ammo is ridiculously expensive and very hard to find. There is a generally negative reaction to the calibre with a very slow adoption by rifle makers. Some German manufacturers chamber for it - Blaser, Krieghoff and Merkel - along with a ( very ) few other European makers including Fabarm and F.A.I.R. The Americans have almost completely ignored it as being a curious European anomally.
I can see the logic in its` introduction - a .30 cal rimmed case with a little more energy than the .30-06 but can`t see a real need for it as there was already the 7.62x54R - somewhat less powerful but equally unpopular.
I might be more impressed if I reloaded but as I don`t and haven`t got a rich mans` deep pockets it`s not for me.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:49 pm

Since you already have an '06 and you want to use this on deer, is there a rimmed variant of the 25-06? IMHO strictly for deer it is a great cartridge, it kills just as well as the 270 and '06. Since you aren't planning on hunting elk with this round I think it would be just as nice, and perhaps a tiny bit more appropriate to the size animal.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:30 pm

Grumpy,
Looks like you have a good choice-Will definitely make a good double-ejectors bonus too!
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

danish21
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by danish21 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:14 pm

7x57 mm (.275 cal) is also a very good rifle for deer hunting. Its 139 grains bullet is sufficent for stag shooting. But you can also use for bigger game if you go 173 grains bullet. Its a very ideal calibre for hunting. Infact Jim Corbett used 7x57 mm for most of his tiger shoot. I am sure u'll love this calibre when u'll use it.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:26 pm

Here's my eccentric suggestion - .303 British. It's rimmed and it's a Brit cartridge. May not be fashionable though...

Mack The Knife

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:27 am

The 7x57R is an option - a very nice deer stalking cartridge AND it is available for the Finn Classic. There isn`t a rimmed version of the .25-06 Mark....just like there isn`t a rimmed version of the 30-06 or the .270 - I wonder why the .270 isn`t designated the .27-06 ? There`s another ( minor ) problem with the .25-06 - which applies to the .270 also - which is that it makes a heck of a crack for a non-magnum cartridge ( although both could reasonably have been designated magnums except that they pre-date the magnum fad. ) I have the 6.5x55 ( .256 cal ) anyway which rather makes a .25-06 somewhat superfluous.
The .303 Brit ? I`ve got to admit that I`m not a fan. Its` major problem, I suppose, is that it hasn`t received the developement over the years that its` contemporaries - the .30-06 and the 8x57JS ( and JRS ) - have. The 30-06 does everything the .303 does and does it better. Hardly surprisingly, the .303 isn`t an available option.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:08 am

Grumpy,

A couple of other rimmed choices, if a little on the small side but I leave those decisions to you-

222 rimmed (Didn't find out about this one until a couple days ago!) Bertram makes the brass

5.6x50R and 5.6x50R Magnum.

Depending on the size of your deer these might be choices too.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:34 am

The .222R is quite popular in continental Europe in combination guns - .222R and 12-Bore.
.22 Centrefires are not legal in England ( or Wales ) for deer hunting - they are in Scotland, for Roe ( and, presumably, Muntjac......if they have any up there ) but not the .22 Hornet. Minimum calibre in England/Wales is .240" - and 1,700 ft lbs ME.
The 5.6x50Rs ( also .22s of course ) are interesting cartridges but ammo isn`t exactly easy to find. I know this because they`re among the calibres that I`m considering to rechamber a BSA Martini for.....when I can find a 12/15 that is.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:08 pm

Just want to know have you come across a .257? My friend had a mauser rifle which was a magnum. He shot chital, dropped like stone, a boar that quartered away and was found later. Plus a Barasingha that fell but took very long to move to the next incarnation. Does this round still exist? It was cute little bullet that hardly produced any recoil, I wish I had such a rifle to shoot paper with. Maybe someday when the imports open up.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:28 pm

Guys, Lee Enfield and Mauser (Rare) .303 are the only commonly available bigbore rifles here in good ol' India. A friend of mine has 2 lee Enfields one in .303 and the other in 7.62x51! And they are fun guns to shoot shoulder breaking recoil and all.

Jonah
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:45 pm

Pardon my ignorance but is the 303 considered a heavy kicking gun versus say a 270. I shot one for a few days at the army range but since we shot it prone and held real hard the kick seemed okay even with the steel butt plate. Is this about as much a 30-06 recoils, I have never shot one.

Regards Dev
jonahpach";p="5363 wrote: Guys, Lee Enfield and Mauser (Rare) .303 are the only commonly available bigbore rifles here in good ol' India. A friend of mine has 2 lee Enfields one in .303 and the other in 7.62x51! And they are fun guns to shoot shoulder breaking recoil and all.

Jonah
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.