Mauser Type A 30-06 rifle

Posts related to rifles.
Dr Narendra Yadav
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Mauser Type A 30-06 rifle

Post by Dr Narendra Yadav » Fri May 22, 2009 4:59 pm

Hi!
Any of our members can help me out how to find out a perticular rifle is mauser Type A ,
Mack The Knife please help,and how is the rifle.

Regards
Dr Narendra Yadav
Regarding 250 Savage ammo

For Advertising mail webmaster
marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Mauser Type A 30-06 rifle

Post by marksman » Fri May 22, 2009 8:39 pm

Doctor Saheb,
I know it's lying with Bawajee. I also know the price quoted. IMHO, I find it rather high. If at all you get a deal some where around what Rustom paid for the same kind, plus 20%. I would call it a good purchase. BTW, all the weapons he sells are supposed to be "a piece of glass" "kanch no Tukro" :wink:
Marksman

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri May 22, 2009 10:46 pm

Hi Doc,

Herb has posted a fair amount of information on the Oberndorf Mauser Type A on the pertinent thread started by me. I have also been reading up on the subject and may be in a position to confirm if its a Type A if you post pictures of the concerned rifle. I could also let you have the year of manufacture if you provide me with the serial number.

Herewith the salient points in identifying a Type A (courtesy Jon Speed):
1) It was offered with a specially designed stock of good quality wood with a horn fore-end tip and capped pistol grip and fine chequering on pistol grip and fore-end.

2) The round tapered barrel had a special barrel band sling swivel and the ramp foresight was also on a muzzle band. The rear sight was a British style 'Express sight' with one fixed and four folding leaves graded from 100 to 500 yards.

3) Octagonal barrels were also made by Mauser on request.

As for your question, "how is the rifle?", let's just say that if the rifle is in good condition and if you could only have one, you may never buy another unless something very special, say a Rigby Mauser in .416 Rigby, comes your way.

Mack The Knife

Dr Narendra Yadav
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Dr Narendra Yadav » Sat May 23, 2009 1:01 am

MM & Mack The Knife thanks for ur reply,

MM i have not seen the rifle as Mr Jijina is out of station i do not know the asking price for that ,i did speak to him on phone but he told we will talk when he come's back to Mumbai ,if u don’t mind can u tell me what is the condition of the rifle and what is the asking price.MM u have a PM.

Regards
Dr Narendra Yadav
Regarding 250 Savage ammo

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Sat May 23, 2009 11:40 am

let's just say that if the rifle is in good condition and if you could only have one, you may never buy another unless something very special, say a Rigby Mauser in .416 Rigby, comes your way.
Truer words ne'er spoken 8)
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

BJL
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by BJL » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:21 am

Did you ever verify if it's a Type-A?
“To be both a speaker of words and a doer of deeds”- The Iliad.