Quite possibly the ultimate double rifle design

Posts related to rifles.
mehulkamdar

Quite possibly the ultimate double rifle design

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:28 pm

Scroll down the page to links to the Double Gun Journal article about this remarkable rifle.

The owner is a member of the Nitro Express forums. What an incredibly lucky man!

For Advertising mail webmaster
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Quite possibly the ultimate double rifle design

Post by Grumpy » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:31 pm

Gorgeous gun - what else can one say ? Seems incredible that a double rifle can weigh only 6.5lbs.
Last edited by Grumpy on Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:40 am

Beautiful rifle. I wonder if the design allows using larger African DG calibres without problems.Any ideas Mehul and Grumpy?

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:12 am

Martini & Hagn offer their large action in calibres up to the .600NE. This double is based on their medium action but there`s no reason why a big double couldn`t be built......if someone had a deep enough wallet !

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:00 am

As Grumpy points out, if someone has a large enough bank balance, the possibilities are endless. Hagn licensees Hartman und Weiss have made single shot and traditional break open double guns all the way upto 600 NE though these days they advise the 600-577 Rewa to their clients as the top monster bore round that they build, from what I have heard. They could certainly build a powerful Nitro Express chambering if someone wants it and is ready to bear the cost. I would not be surprised if some guns are being built even as we talk about them over here. I can only hope that whoever has such a gun built would show her off so that we could all drool. 8) :D

Cheers,

Mehul

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:12 am

Mehul, I noticed on the Martini & Hagn website a few months ago that you can buy one of their medium frame falling block rifles for $8,900. By the standards of many custom gunmakers that has to be an absolute bargain.
The Hagn falling blocks are so elegant - very reminiscent of the old Farquharson Martinis but with a shorter action.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:23 pm

Grumpy,

As Steven Dodd Hughes points out in his evaluation of the Hagn action, these days it is made from parts that are investment cast before being machined. I presume that brings prices down somewhat. In any case, it is also the extreme simplicity of the design, a feature of Hagn's brilliant design, that contributes to it's being made and sold at a very reasonable price.

Mehul