Custom gun from an unusual source

Posts related to rifles.
mehulkamdar

Custom gun from an unusual source

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:06 am

Custom rifle made in Iran. Picture courtesy Johan.

Though the original (and highly sought after) Persian Mausers were made at Oberndorf, apparently the actions are still made in Iran and so are sporters in the traditional Mauser calibres as well as some modern ones like the 270 Win.

Mehul

For Advertising mail webmaster
penpusher

Re: Custom gun from an unusual source

Post by penpusher » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:26 pm

Brazil,Pakistan and now Iran.Where does that leave us Indians :cry: This is really depressing.

penpusher

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:35 pm

penpusher";p="7103 wrote: Brazil,Pakistan and now Iran.Where does that leave us Indians :cry: This is really depressing.

penpusher
Ditto.. thats what I thought when i read this post.. you should see those Turkish shotguns.. I don't know how they shoot but they look nice as hell...So if Brazil, Pakistan, Iran and Turkey do it why can't we... :(

-Inder

PS: BTW that is one nice looking gun Mehul, thanks for sharing.
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:14 pm

penpusher,

That's exactly what I thought. It is a very depressing thought.

Inder,

The rifle seems superlatively finished but I am not sure I like the styling - the Monte Carlo stock and the extra long fore-end are something I am not very impressed by, but that, of course, is a very subjective and personal opinion.

Very good news about one more country making fine guns and very sad from an Indian viewpoint at the same time.

Mehul

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:02 pm

How did I forget the Turks http://www.hugluarms.com/home.htm.There are some good Turkish engravers also.

Some other developing countries that produce firearms of a quality the IOF chaps can only dream off

China-Norinco

Argentina-Bersa

I am even more depressed :cry: :cry:

Mehul,

Would give anything to have a rifle that looks like this.The Indian Govt has allowed private players to enter the field of defence production including the manufacture of firearms,but does not promise any orders.The are not allowed to sell their products to the civilian market.More over there is also a tendency to favor the IOF in placing orders for the Armed forces.All this has discouraged private companies from investing in setting up a manufacturing facility devoted exclusively to the manufacture of firearms. The only solution would be to allow anybody who gets a license to manufacture firearms for the Armed forces, to sell their products(NPB firearms) in the civilian market.This would allow them some flexibility in their client base and allow them to continue production even if there are no orders from the Army.

Try to guess the possibility of this happening any time soon or in the near future.

penpusher

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:47 pm

penpusher,

What about exports. Doesn't the GOI permit that?

Mack The Knife

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:09 pm

Exports of firearms of "popular and current bore" are banned - I would imagine this applies to fresh manufactures as well...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Sujay
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Sujay » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:54 pm

After the private companies get the permission to sell NPB firearms to civilians they would suddenly discover that ..................... Govt forgot to approve the firearm licence applications of civilians :twisted:
A man should have a hobby. It keeps him out of trouble.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:03 pm

Exports of firearms of "popular and current bore" are banned.

Hmm....I had forgotten about that.

Shame if they wont allow newly manufactured firearms to be exported. It's going to be a massive struggle gaining recognition after the damage caused by IOF without the GOI adding to it.

Does this mean a 12 gauge shotgun cannot be exported then? I wonder how WC does it?

Mack The Knife

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:10 pm

Does this mean a 12 gauge shotgun cannot be exported then? I wonder how WC does it?
Probably has a sewer runing from India to his office.So he just pulls the chain and flushes it down to his office and then pulls it out when he goes back :lol:

penpusher

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:41 pm

mehulkamdar";p="7105 wrote:penpusher,

That's exactly what I thought. It is a very depressing thought.

Inder,

The rifle seems superlatively finished but I am not sure I like the styling - the Monte Carlo stock and the extra long fore-end are something I am not very impressed by, but that, of course, is a very subjective and personal opinion.

Very good news about one more country making fine guns and very sad from an Indian viewpoint at the same time.

Mehul
Mehul,

I like the monte carlo type stocks.. the only thing that i don't like on this rifle is those shiny mounts and pic of that buck on stock... :)

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:40 pm

Lovely rifle. Very conservative also as most guns originating from, or built for Arab/Muslim countries are horribly OTT ornate. I like the Monte Carlo - it allows the stockmaker to show some ability without getting carried away. Shoots just as well as a boringly plain `American` style stock as well.
It amuses me when American look at - say - a Parker Hale with a Monte Carlo, colts foot grip stock and say `Nice, will have to restock it though`. Why ? You have a high comb stock made out of decent walut with hand cut chequering and Ebony or Rosewood caps and replace it with a plank. Makes no sense to at all.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:04 am

Grumpy,

I guess I prefer the straight stocks (personally I like the traditional English Classic style best) because I like my rifles to point fast. The closest that we have to that is the American Classic which is a derivative of this though not as good IMHO. A Monte Carlo may be better for deliberate shooting instead of taking a snap shot but I find them heavier and not really suited to my personal style. Of course, as I said earluer, this is my subjective, personal bias and nothing more.

What do you think about the extra long fore-end?

Mehul

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:07 am

That fore-end is no longer than a varmint type stock but looks rather too long for the Monte Carlo......a little ungainly. Yup, you`re right Mehul. The lower point on the butt is more obviously peculiar as that is really low.
American style high comb stocks are anything but fast - if you want a gun to point like a shotgun you need a Bavarian style stock with a low, drop comb. Hopeless when used with a scope though. Many European wild boar rifles are built with Bavarian style stocks because the rifles are used on running game that come into view very quickly. With your preference for open sights and fast mounting such a stock ought to suit you down to the ground.......Strewth, you`ld be faster than Wyatt Earp with such a rifle !
Have you ever thought about getting a Brno or CZ M98 actioned rifle with a Bavarian stock ? Not at all fashionable in North America but ideal for an instinctive rifle shot like you.
Last edited by Grumpy on Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:18 am

Come to think of it, standard Mannlicher Schoenaur 1903 models have a drop comb - not as extreme as a Bavarian style but much more suited to your style of shooting than any style of American straight stock.
The American style stocks are heavy and designed to be pre-mounted and used with a scope ........ and are hopeless for instinctive shooting and fast mounting. In the same way, trap and skeet guns are heavy and have a high comb because they are pre-mounted. A game gun has a stock designed to allow fast, instinctive shooting.........British and Continental game guns anyway....American game guns are designed for sitting birds, not walked-up flying birds.