IOF .22 LR rifle

Posts related to rifles.
shutzen
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shutzen » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:40 pm

Will it be able to do what Brnos do?
HI! Forget it! the IOF will never be able to even outshoot even a beat up club brno. I have first hand experience in the matter and me and my son used my IOF .22 in our first state match and the old club brnos beat us hollow - the brno is better in trigger pull, sight picture, sight adjustment, balance and accuracy and workability of the action - since my rifle was brand new I thought using it would be better than the club brno rifles.
If you are a good shot and know your rifle well you will be able to kick butt at the GVM with your IOF .22lr. What is more important is that you feed your IOF the right diet.
Why bother? the brno guy has a clear advantage eg. my trigger on the IOF was pretty hard at first and then after about 500 shots got smoother and seemed creepier whereas the brnos have a very light and crisp trigger. Rest of the stuff I have covered above - and OH YES! your sling hook can open up a halfway through your match and screw up your hapiness big time because soft non spring steel is used for the hook !

To give you an example, I have used three types of SK Jagd cartridges and the groupings are not the same. The cheapest of the lot, SK Magazine, is tolerable. Slightly more expensive that the SK Magazine is the SK Standard Plus and this groups better. The third round is SK Match Gold which is more than twice the cost of Standard Plus but it just wont group well.
Well We personally prefer the "coke can" 500 packs of el cheapo SKM cuz they really kick ass and group very well . In fact at the range in practice my son routinely crosses 580 /600 with this ammo - lots of shooters shoot the nationals with these .However the standard plus is only marginally expensive because of the packaging - its performance over SKM is nothing to write home about. SK GOLD was a fantastic round and now the NRAI routinely imports the Lapua Midas in size medium and large - fricking 2 bullet diameter so u can feed you rifle what it likes ;)
The super-duper Tenex Ultimate EPS, does not group too well.
Well the super duper tenex also does on more very important thing- it cuts large / proper diameter neat sized holes which dont close up when the targets are stacked like the other round nose ammo cuts so the tenex shooter always ahs the advantage of getting positive score on line cuts whereas the round nose cuts will smoothen when stacked out and the diameter will appear smaller and the scorer will maybe/mostly score you a point less on a line cut ;)

For Advertising mail webmaster
Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:48 pm

the IOF will never be able to even outshoot even a beat up club brno.
Are you sure of that?

I still think that a .22 IOF rifle that one is used to is better than a club gun.

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: IOF .22 LR rifle

Post by Grumpy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:17 am

I`ll bet that if you could batch test IOF .22s you`ld find one that shoots as well as a Brno......and there are plenty of Brnos around that don`t shoot so great.
Dunno what the fuss is about Brnos anyway - there are plenty of .22lr rifles that shoot better than a Brno. Buy an old Anschutz target rifle with a Match 54 action and it`ll outshoot any Brno. I know of one that is almost as new, has been semi-sporterised with a cut-down barrel and shoots 1/2 MOA 100 yard groups all day long with Eley hunting ammo. The asking price is £145. Less tidy looking examples with the full length barrel can be bought for under a hundred quid.
And Brno are no more anyway because they went bust last year.

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:55 am

Thanks Grumps. Hoping to have my papers in place by the end of Jan. Anschutz and Brno don't fit my budget. Plan to get a IOF as my first rifle.

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:05 am

HI! Forget it! the IOF will never be able to even outshoot even a beat up club brno. I have first hand experience in the matter and me and my son used my IOF .22 in our first state match and the old club brnos beat us hollow - the brno is better in trigger pull, sight picture, sight adjustment, balance and accuracy and workability of the action.
From what I have seen, IOF triggers aren't too good. However, it is possible to make them very good with a little work. If you are ever in Bangalore come over and try the trigger on my IOF. It's better than any CZ or Brno I have tried till date - club or privately owned. I haven't had a problem with the sight picture or adjustment. The sights on the Czech rifles may give a better sight picture but for my crappy eyesight, they are all equally bad. There is no question that the Czech rifles balance better and are inherently more accurate but like I said, the difference isn't that great. If you feed your IOF the diet it likes best, it will do well. The action is definitely rougher but it can be made tolerable. Mine is still far from being silky smooth but the roughness has been lapped out.
since my rifle was brand new I thought using it would be better than the club brno rifles
The IOF does require a bit of fettling out of the box.
Why bother? the brno guy has a clear advantage.
Simply put, I am not a gong hunter. I derive more satisfaction from working on and using my own guns. If medals are the sole criteria, then using what one has the most confidence in makes sense.
your sling hook can open up a halfway through your match and screw up your hapiness big time because soft non spring steel is used for the hook !
I had forgotten about their third rate sling swivel and what you describe has happened to me and another club member. In his case it was far worse as the swivel gave way whilst he was shooting the pre-nationals. However, there is an easy fix for this as well. Get your self an Uncle Mike QD swivel or any other swivel for that matter and fit it to the fore-end. See my earlier pics.
Well We personally prefer the "coke can" 500 packs of el cheapo SKM cuz they really kick ass and group very well . In fact at the range in practice my son routinely crosses 580 /600 with this ammo - lots of shooters shoot the nationals with these .However the standard plus is only marginally expensive because of the packaging - its performance over SKM is nothing to write home about. SK GOLD was a fantastic round and now the NRAI routinely imports the Lapua Midas in size medium and large - fricking 2 bullet diameter so u can feed you rifle what it likes ;)
Just goes to show that what works well in one rifle needn't work as well in another.
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:13 am

I`ll bet that if you could batch test IOF .22s you`ld find one that shoots as well as a Brno......
With a 1-in-8 twist rate? Never come across one.
Dunno what the fuss is about Brnos anyway
The Brnos and CZ are the staple diet of most Indian clubs. Say what you like but I find them to be damn good no nonsense value for money rifles. Obviously the VFM does not apply to India. I have found Anschutz rifles to be more ammo fussy.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:22 am

As far as the Indian market is concerned I think you`ve made the right choice Pran. The rifle is as near as is possible to good value for money that can be bought in India and the performance adequate. Spend some some time and effort on it like Mack The Knife has done with his and you`ll have a rifle to be proud of.

cherian.k.k
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cherian.k.k » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:41 pm

hello all
i think iof performance is not bad ,and from my experience it can out perform most of the club brnos. even in this years kerala state comp iof performance was the best. as for the trigger i had no problem [ the new guns have a tighter trigger]. now i have re worked the trigger and it is smooth than club brnos
cherian.k.k

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:53 pm

Grumpy";p="32965 wrote:The rifle is as near as is possible to good value for money that can be bought in India and the performance adequate. Spend some some time and effort on it like Mack The Knife has done with his and you`ll have a rifle to be proud of.
That's what I intend to do Grumps.

Pran

cherian.k.k
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cherian.k.k » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:07 pm

hello everyone
yesterday somthing strang happened.the dealer from whom i bought my iof .22 rifle asked me if i am interested to sell my gun,the most shocking was the price he was willing to give 65000, one of my friends got the same offer and he sold it last week,when i enquired i came to know that dealers from north are coming to kerala and making bulk purchases of .22 iof rifle.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:49 pm

Nothing shocking about that, Cherian. I had been offered 90k for mine with scope and mounts and told the person he could have it, if he found me a Brno or CZ452 in good condition for the same price.
Did not hear from him after that.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:28 pm

when i enquired i came to know that dealers from north are coming to kerala and making bulk purchases of .22 iof rifle.
That is the best one that I have heard after the custom made bulged barrel.They should not cost more than Rs.30-35,000/- for a new rifle.Second hand ones also cost about the same.Check out the real price here http://ofbindia.gov.in/index.php?wh=Spo ... ms&lang=en

That 'essential spares' bit is a scam to make you buy an additional magazine.There is no waiting period for a .22 rifle direct from the factory

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:23 pm

That is the best one that I have heard after the custom made bulged barrel.

:mrgreen:
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:35 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="34370 wrote:Nothing shocking about that, Cherian. I had been offered 90k for mine with scope and mounts
Holy sh1t! Mack The Knife, can one get a decent rimfire for 15-20k in Bangalore?

Pran

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:54 pm

Pran";p="34378 wrote:Holy sh1t! Mack The Knife, can one get a decent rimfire for 15-20k in Bangalore?
Pran
You should get a new IOF for 30k in Bangalore. Best you start enquiring now itself because they aren't always in stock.

You would be extraordinarily lucky to get a working single shot for 15 to 20k in Bangalore. Best you start pestering the person who put that figure into your head.