IOF .22 LR rifle

Posts related to rifles.
penpusher

Re: IOF .22 LR rifle

Post by penpusher » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:30 am

How about a harder firing pin and a stronger spring?

For Advertising mail webmaster
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:43 am

I can see no reason a barrel should bend during reprofiling........it would have to be treated rather brutally to do so. Can`t see any reason at all why the barrel should bulge.
Surely you mean the rear sight ? None of the IOFs that have been pictured on this forum have been full stocked so it must be the rear sight. The easiest way to get around that problem is to remove the rearsight completely and tap the receiver for a peep sight. Either that or remove both sights completely and use a scope.
I always feel that bedding the barrel is a compromise. Much better to free-float the barrel and bed the receiver only. A full-length steel or aluminium bed is the ultimate but pillar bedding is a more than acceptble compromise. Resin bedding using carbon fibre or graphite mat is another option - but the third choice. Fibreglass mat just isn`t rigid enough. A problem with resin bedding is that if the inletting has large gaps the visible resin looks horrible. Accurate inletting largely negates the need for any aftermarket bedding. My S&L isn`t bedded at all, has a free floating barrel and shoots like a target rifle ...... but that cost a hell of a lot of money when new - I was lucky enough to pick it up second hand.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:51 am

You can bet that someone has tried using a very hard firing pin and strong spring - and it obviously doesn`t work.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:53 am

Mack The Knife Bana";p="32864 wrote:
Can IOF's action be just dropped in Brno's stock or there are big differences in inletting :?:
I have never tried but I doubt it will be a direct drop in, otherwise I would have ordered a one of those polymer stocks from CZ for it.
I just love the stipling on your rifles...I am wondereing how my D52 will look after some stipling from you :D :D

I could do it but I will be charging here onwards. Removing old finish, stippling and oil finishing the stock - Rs.10,000.00
Okie..but all I can afford 7K :( .. and I want to reblue it also :D :D ...

Just let me knwo where to sign :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:23 am

penpusher";p="32879 wrote:The barrel of the IOF .22 is pinned into the action.
So is the front sight. Removing the pin from the front sight was easy but removing the front sight assembly was a pain. Infact, I could not remove it, so took a hacksaw to it and then filed it down.

I did heat it to see if there was any adhesive (it will start smoking when the bond breaks) but it wouldn't budge when I tried tapping it out and turning it with a monkey wrench.

This leads me to believe that it may be sweated on and the same may be the case for the barrel.
Bobby does a very good job of re-profiling the barrel.
Does Bobby remove the barrel from the receiver?

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:26 am

Grumpy";p="32886 wrote:I can see no reason a barrel should bend during reprofiling.
I may be wrong but I think what penpusher is getting at is that since the barrel is hammer forged, the metal may be under some stress. This stress could be relieved during the reprofiling process leading to a slight bend. Can this actually happen?

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:41 am

Hi Mack The Knife,

Please to pardon stupid question but how accurate can you get with a highly tuned one like yours? Will it be able to do what Brnos do?

Your rifle looks so beautiful that I feel the urge for one but I keep vacillating between this and you know what.

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:57 am

I`m not aware of any reason that a hammer forged barrel should be stress relieved by reprofiling - plenty of manufacturers use hammer forged barrels and then profile them after forging. I can`t see any `barley twist` on your IOF .22 which means that it must have been `profiled` - ie, turned on a lathe - after forging.
If a hammer forged barrel was under innate stress a hard knock on the barrel would be more likely to relieve that stress than turning it........Firing a cartridge in through a hammer forged barrel would subject it to enormous stress yet I`ve never heard of one bending.......or straightening the barley twist ! Steyr Mannlicher use hammer forged barrels in their rifles and chamber them for cartridges up to the 8x65 magnum in their sporting rifles and the .460 Steyr and .50 BMG in the H.S. - which has a profiled barrel.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:53 pm

Please to pardon stupid question but how accurate can you get with a highly tuned one like yours?
Why do I get this feeling of deja vu? See page 1. ;)
Will it be able to do what Brnos do?
Never but the difference isn't that big. For example, if I got a 1/2" ctc group at 50 metres with the IOF, the Brno or CZ will put the same number of shots into 1/4" ctc.

If you are a good shot and know your rifle well you will be able to kick butt at the GVM with your IOF .22lr. What is more important is that you feed your IOF the right diet.

To give you an example, I have used three types of SK Jagd cartridges and the groupings are not the same. The cheapest of the lot, SK Magazine, is tolerable. Slightly more expensive that the SK Magazine is the SK Standard Plus and this groups better. The third round is SK Match Gold which is more than twice the cost of Standard Plus but it just wont group well.

It's the same with Eley. Club Extra gives acceptable groupings, Tenex Gold is absolutely superb but I had only one box of those and they are no longer available. The super-duper Tenex Ultimate EPS, does not group too well.

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:56 pm

Thank you. I also was slightly foggy about whether you had answered the question in page one. But thanks for tolerating fools all the same. ;-)

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:09 pm

Grumpy,

That is informative,as always.Please deduct your fee from the legal fee due to me.

I did mean the rear sight :oops:

Thought that hammer forged barrels were contoured during the forging process itself.

So there is no danger of the barrel in some way twisting or forming a bulge during re-contouring.Thanks for clarifying that.Got this info from the site of a fellow who stress relieves barrels .Another thumbs down to info from the net.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:21 pm

penpusher, hammer forged barrels are contoured to shape during the cold hammering but if a smooth profile is required the barley twist has to be removed by turning. `Barley twist` barrels are quite commonly used on European ( and Russian ) rifles but Americans tend not to like the appearance. Hammer forged barrels don`t have to show a `barley twist`, it depends on the machinery being used but cold hammer forging always leaves characteristic marks.
Stress relief of barrels is one of those things that are supposed to improve the performance.......but it`s strange how the top shooting rifle in any competition never uses a stress relieved barrel.......that I`ve heard/read of anyway.
Mack The Knife, I`d like to see a CZ or Brno .22 lr sporting rifle that would consistently knock out 1/2 MOA groups at 100 yards. The heavy barrel versions might - just - manage the feat but I wouldn`t bank on it.
You`re absolutely right regarding how rifles favour particular ammunition - even two rifles of the same model by the same manufacturer and built in the same year can have different `tastes` in ammunition.
The old Eley Tenex was one cartridge that seemed to work well in pretty nearly everything. Possibly not the best performer in some cases but consistently good. I also agree that the Tenex EPS is not as guaranteed to work extremely well in all/most rifles......but those that do like it tend to like it most of all.
There are so many variables that go into the manufacture of a cartridge - and not just the obvious things like the bullet and powder. For instance, .22 lr match shooters use rim thickness gauges to check that their preferred ammunition all have the same rim thickness - those that are thicker or thinner are rejected. Hornady supply all the .17HMR bullets used by American manufacturers - the only difference is the colour of the polymer tip - however there are variables in the velocities and grouping achieved by the various manufacturers of the cartridge in different rifles. I soon found that whatever ammunition a particular .17 HMR rifle preferred it would always shoot well with Hornady ammunition. Maybe not always the best but at least the second best.
Reminds me of the American health survey where it was found that the best place in the USA to be seriously ill was Baltimore - the Johns Hopkins Clinic didn`t come first in any speciality.....but it came second in nearly everything.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:25 pm

Grumpy";p="32926 wrote:Mack The Knife, I`d like to see a CZ or Brno .22 lr sporting rifle that would consistently knock out 1/2 MOA groups at 100 yards.
I have come very close to doing that at 50 metres with my friend's Brno Mod. 1 (4 shot group, the 5th was just outside the group). Whether or not it is actually capable of 1/2 MOA at 100 yards is debateable but I would put my money on it being capable of doing 3/4 MOA or so at 100 yards if the conditions are good.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:11 pm

The difference between 1/2 MOA and 3/4 MOA is a bull barrel, a stock designed by Sparrows Crane Hire and a rifle that weighs almost as much as you do.
:wink: :lol:

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:37 pm

Grumpy";p="32934 wrote: a rifle that weighs almost as much as you do.
:wink: :lol:
A rifle that weighs 100 odd Kgs?
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."