The INSAS 5.56mm Rifle- A Technical Treatise

Posts related to rifles.
Automatic1947
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: The INSAS 5.56mm Rifle- A Technical Treatise

Post by Automatic1947 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:32 pm

No it is not used anymore in Indian armed forces. You can't find this rifle for sale in gun shops in India as 7.62 NATO is prohibited in India for civilians.

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:52 am

drlizard wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:37 pm
Automatic1947 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:29 am
Its more about the design, the ishapore make bolt action 7.62x51 full stock rifle is a popular collectors rifle abroad and is regarded as a well made rifle.
I didn't know much about this rifle or that it is regarded as well built even abroad.
Is it in use by armed forces or police now, or can civilians buy it?
Thanks in advance!!
Regards.
Speaking from off of the top of my head, these were only made for 3 years and there weren't many of them. I understand that they were a stopgap as the FAL was adopted after the 1962 War. I haven't seen one for sale for many years now, so whoever has them is holding on to them. If one wants an SMLE, I think that they are the way to go, as all of the cheap 303 ammo has dried up a long long time ago, and 308 will always be common. Again, my understanding is that RFI didn't change the No. 1 Mk. 3 design, only the metallurgy to handle the more powerful 762x51 round.

My only complaint is the umpteen layers of paint that I'm still working to get off of the thing. The bore is in great shape -- mine wasn't shot very much at all and was cared for.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Ambi
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Ambi » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:08 pm

It is ridiculous to expect that, with highly restrictive fire-arms licensing policy and without a sustantial civillian market, and wirhout private sector firearms manufacturing base, the 9 to 5 ordinance,- PSU- time punchers will bring out innovative and reliable infantry and artillery weapons. While Indian Army is fortunate to be able to import anything they want, it is the CAPF who are saddled with these ironmongery.

drlizard
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by drlizard » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:33 pm

Ambi wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:08 pm
It is ridiculous to expect that, with highly restrictive fire-arms licensing policy and without a sustantial civillian market, and wirhout private sector firearms manufacturing base, the 9 to 5 ordinance,- PSU- time punchers will bring out innovative and reliable infantry and artillery weapons. While Indian Army is fortunate to be able to import anything they want, it is the CAPF who are saddled with these ironmongery.
Very well put. These are my views too. Without a robust civilian market and private manufacturers competing against each other for customers, no industry can progress, including the arms manufacturing industry.
"Kill time before time kills you"
- Dr Ankur Baruah

drlizard
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by drlizard » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:35 pm

timmy wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:52 am

Speaking from off of the top of my head, these were only made for 3 years and there weren't many of them. I understand that they were a stopgap as the FAL was adopted after the 1962 War. I haven't seen one for sale for many years now, so whoever has them is holding on to them. If one wants an SMLE, I think that they are the way to go, as all of the cheap 303 ammo has dried up a long long time ago, and 308 will always be common. Again, my understanding is that RFI didn't change the No. 1 Mk. 3 design, only the metallurgy to handle the more powerful 762x51 round.

My only complaint is the umpteen layers of paint that I'm still working to get off of the thing. The bore is in great shape -- mine wasn't shot very much at all and was cared for.
Thanks for the info.
"Kill time before time kills you"
- Dr Ankur Baruah

hornet22
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hornet22 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:17 am

There are several gunmakers in India and Ordinance Factory is the only govt run factory so the private manufacturer's have an advantage over IOF. So there is competetion but not in quality. Only new models are launched.