Your Concealed Carry and/or Home defense weapon

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:01 pm

Mehul,

Not really looking at any specific tests, especially with our ammo situation but give Mark a nudge and request him to post the details of whatever they have been using.

Why is your Marlin not warranted for use with Hyper velocity ammo?

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:13 am

Mack The Knife Bana wrote:
mehulkamdar wrote:My friend Mark has a son who loves shooting milk jugs filled with water. We have been able to get good hits even with 22 shorts out of a single shot rifle.
Mehul,

At what range does Mark's son hit those water filled milk jugs, with what type of .22lr ammo, other than Shorts and what are the results?

I see that we have a new member named Mark. If he is the same person, I hope he can throw some more light on this subject.

Mack The Knife
Greetings Gentlemen!

I do not know if it is a good sign that I get "smoked out" so soon after I register here, and on a touchy subject like self defense!

I was hoping I could get involved in something less controversial, like who has the best cricket team in the world or if there is a God, what is his name....

At any rate, I am asked about penetration on milk jugs. We happen to have a few empty ones here and later this afternoon we can do this for you- we'll set up a jug at 100 yards and shoot it once, and keep moving it 10-15 yds closer each time. I have some new Winchester hollow point ammo that I'll use (P.S. Thanks Mehul!) .

That way you can see the results yourself. It has been a while, and how I remember it may be skewed so rather than rely on faulty memory we'll just do it again.

Also, in answer to the question "At what ranges does he do this?" He'll do a shot at 185 yards as well.

Mark

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:43 am

Mark,

Thank you very much for this experiment. I know that Brendan, Colin and Callista are all going to have fun. Just to let you know, I did post pictures of myself shooting your 20 Tactical on the old Yahoogroups though we must video the milk jug flying up in the air when it's hit with that rifle as a dessert after the 22 lr aperitif. :D

I'll talk to you in the evening when you're back. Hope the boat trip goes well as well.

Mehul

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:55 am

Hi Mark,

Heard a lot about you from Mehul and it's a pleasure to have you here.

Look forward to the results and thanks a lot for the same.

Mack The Knife

P.S.: Just for the record, India has the best cricket team (though they seem to have forgotten how to play offlate :roll: ) and God's real name is Mack The Knife. 8)

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:55 am

Well gentlemen I have to apologize. We went out boating today and took a few more hours than we had intended to at the start!

So we'll do the shooting and posting tomorrow. I'll use a couple other guns as well so you can compare them.

"and God's real name is Mack The Knife....."

Ever tell that one to your wife?

Didn't think so. :) :lol: :) :lol:

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:59 am

Mark wrote:Ever tell that one to your wife?
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Take your time with the tests, Mark. I was merely curious but this is getting to be very interesting.

Thanks once again.

Mack The Knife

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:07 pm

No problem, I can also use some handgun rounds too though I think I'll start those at 25 yards so I 'll save on ammo! (I've hit milk jugs at 100 yards several times with my 45 but I'll tell you right now it takes a couple clips to do it!)

Mark

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:17 pm

Why is your Marlin not warranted for use with Hyper velocity ammo?

Hyper velocity ammo usually has a smaller bullet (32 gr instead of the usual 40) and sometimes slightly higher pressures. Since many of the 22 automatics have no sort of buffering (they rely on the bolt assembly running out of energy before it moves fully rearward) there will be wear experienced when things hit against each other with some energy still left.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:56 pm

God's real name is Mack The Knife.

So its settled.God's name is Mack The Knife .Mack The Knife is the architecht who created this world and all its lovely creatures .Now we know who is responsible for all the mess in the world :) What do we do with GOD??? Any ideas.

From 'His Highness' to 'God' seems to be a natural progression :) What next ???

Why does God need firearms or Khukris for that matter? Perhaps God after making this world is free and needs to pass time :) All gun lovers in India and the world rejoice,we have God on our side.Offerings of fine guns alone will be accepeted.No H&R please. :D

As God is mostly busy,all offerings are to be sent to me,His principle disciple.

Take care,
penpusher

PS-Notice all the smilies.HE is allready spreading happiness in the world

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:04 pm

Mark wrote:Hyper velocity ammo usually has a smaller bullet (32 gr instead of the usual 40) and sometimes slightly higher pressures. Since many of the 22 automatics have no sort of buffering (they rely on the bolt assembly running out of energy before it moves fully rearward) there will be wear experienced when things hit against each other with some energy still left.
Thanks, Mark. That makes a lot of sense.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:08 pm

penpusher wrote:As God is mostly busy,all offerings are to be sent to me,His principle disciple.
Be careful what you wish for. The brickbats may just outnumber the bouquets. :wink:

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:41 pm

Mark,

Don't Ruger warranty the 10/22 for use with hyper velocity ammunition? T-C also warranty their rifle but that is a much more expensive gun than the basic models we are talking of, of course.

Thanks,

Mehul

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:37 pm

Perhaps Mark can also run some tests and find an answer for the following:-

1.Can you fire an entire mag of an assault rifle on full auto and still have the rifle pointing at the target at the end

2.How long does a mag of a rifle(semi auto or full auto ) last with continuous firing

3.Can a shotgun blast a fully grown man 5 ft ,with most of the distance travelled in the air.

4.Can a man hide behind a car door and feel secure from pistol/rifle bullets.

5.Do car bonnets fly up and do cars overturn when fired at with a shotgun.

6.The poor shooting of all the baddies.

7.Can an ordinary bullet set fire to a gas spill

8.Can you break a lock by firing at it from a short distance and without any injury to yourself

9.Can you fire a M 60 or for that matter any belt fed machinegun with one hand while supporting the belt and feeding it into the machine gun with the other hand (couldnt even hold and fire an LMG like that)

Feel free to add to this list.

Take care,
penpusher

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:15 am

penpusher,

There is a crazy bunch of experimenters here who try all sorts of things like shooting at locks, shooting into a car's engine block etc and videoing the thing. I'll locate their URL and post it here.

For the more sane experiments, we shall be happy to perform themourselves, of course. :lol:

Cheers,

Mehul

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:57 am

penpusher wrote:Perhaps Mark can also run some tests and find an answer for the following:-

1.Can you fire an entire mag of an assault rifle on full auto and still have the rifle pointing at the target at the end

2.How long does a mag of a rifle(semi auto or full auto ) last with continuous firing

3.Can a shotgun blast a fully grown man 5 ft ,with most of the distance travelled in the air.

4.Can a man hide behind a car door and feel secure from pistol/rifle bullets.

5.Do car bonnets fly up and do cars overturn when fired at with a shotgun.

6.The poor shooting of all the baddies.

7.Can an ordinary bullet set fire to a gas spill

8.Can you break a lock by firing at it from a short distance and without any injury to yourself

9.Can you fire a M 60 or for that matter any belt fed machinegun with one hand while supporting the belt and feeding it into the machine gun with the other hand (couldnt even hold and fire an LMG like that)

Feel free to add to this list.

Take care,
penpusher
1) Yes, but only if you are standing in the back of a jeep and wearing sunglasses, being chased down a mountain road by a helicopter piloted by a person who belongs to a group your gov't has decided is a political threat.

2) It depends whether you are protecting your ex-girlfriend who left you to marry someone who was more stable and wanted to settle down and have kids, or if you are rescuing a group of orphans and have to lead them through some vast and hostile wilderness.

3) Only if he is a different color than you, or else has turned into a flesh-eating mutant thanks to some government bio-weapon experiment gone horribly astray.

4) Depends, good guy or bad guy?

5) Yes, and you forgot they catch on fire with a huge fireball at the same time.

6) To answer this question I will refer you to the vast research archives of http://www.eviloverlord.com/ He addresses the problem of training evil shock troops and why do they feel the need to throw a knife, and club someone with their gun instead of the other way around.

7) OK, finally a question I should be serious about. I've never seen a bullet set fire to anything though 2 friends claimed to have started one in the desert at about 80 yards while burning up a lot of Uncle Sams ammo on full auto. However, you can start gas on fire with a gun from a few feet away by using the muzzle flash. Just fire a gun at night and you'lll see what I am talking about. Heavy loads with a slow burning powder work best, light bullets with fast powder may not work at all.

8 ) Sure, and not only will it not injure you, it won't hurt the 25 cent (11 rupee) hasp the padlock was on. It is OK for the other person to stand next to the door on the inside as well. If you wish to warn them, just say something like "I'll have you out of there in a jiffy" and then open fire.

9) It is possible but as you note they are so heavy it is hard to keep them still so it is best to point them up in the air. Therefore I only recommend using this technique when being attacked by giant birds or perhaps flying dinosaurs. And maybe WW2 German fighter planes. Also, yelling helps. NEVER use this technique while standing on the top of a hill against flying saucers, as you will be vaporised into a smoking crater. (especially if you are in a group with dozen or so hot looking women and only 1 nerdy looking goofball guy)

Glad to be able to answer these technical items for you.

Mark