My concealed carry rig.

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
Enemy
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

My concealed carry rig.

Post by Enemy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:09 am

I carry this thing everywhere. The only problem is that the grip is somewhat slippery.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: My concealed carry rig.

Post by Anand » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:15 am

A good investment to prevent slippage is after market rubber grips from makers like Hogue or Pachmayer, if not there is one which slips onto the existing frame/grips like a tube, it has moulded stippling on it and comes in various sizes for different sized pistols. Alternately, get yourself a bigger gun! :wink:
Regards,
Anand

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:21 am

or get some friction tape, such as used in skate board. and apply around the back of palm area
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

vrohan59
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by vrohan59 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:10 pm

Such a rig is ok for the one draw scenario,how do you reholster the gun once you have drawn it?guess you have to take off your trousers to do it!!!!please correct me if I'm wrong.
Rohan
War does not define who is right -- only who is left
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

amit888_2000
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amit888_2000 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:37 pm

Good point vrohan59,

No one is perfect, can people display the best way to conceal carry....weapons

)))cheers!!!

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:45 pm

amit888_2000 wrote:Good point vrohan59,

No one is perfect, can people display the best way to conceal carry....weapons

)))cheers!!!
The best way is one you are most comfortable with. While conceal carrying, drawing is what needs to be efficient. And god forbid you draw, reholstering is the least of your problems.

grewal
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by grewal » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:07 pm

Concealing a pistol is easy that way , but what about revolver. I like underarm holster to carry my revolver.
Grewal

I'd rather be riding my bike and thinking bout god than sitting in a temple and thinking bout my bike

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:14 pm

Good taste in art. (painting behind)
Practical, efficient (dressing mirror in cupboard)
Lives by himself (iron the floor)
Likes a bit of greenry or into feng-shui. (plant) plus it is a more recent aquisition so maybe got a new housemate. Some how it looks like not yours. Goes with the painting though.

Skin tone looks darker than caucasian could be a tan but waist is the same colour as the arm. Lack of a lot of hair on the forearm points away from Indian origin (but then this cant be strict as there are so many mixed races in India)

boxers: young, cool, chilled out.
Checked pants: casual, comfort over looks.
Ditto for brown belt.

Oh also you are in an office/sedentary job.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:28 pm

yap his from the states, Dr. Watshon :lol:
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:29 pm

@shooter bravo - keen observation!

Do you perchance live at 221B Baker Street? :D
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

amit888_2000
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amit888_2000 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:06 pm

grewal wrote:Concealing a pistol is easy that way , but what about revolver. I like underarm holster to carry my revolver.
Very easy to carry Revolvers without rig or anyother conceal carry aid.....even if u put pistol in ankle is easy rather than revolver,.....My experience......

)))cheers!!!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:54 am

vrohan59 wrote:Such a rig is ok for the one draw scenario,how do you reholster the gun once you have drawn it?guess you have to take off your trousers to do it!!!!please correct me if I'm wrong.
Rohan
I'm not quite sure what you mean vrohan59. It looks like he has an IWB holster. Why would he have a problem reholstering?
If the holster is even halfway rigid, you can reholster one handed. If it is not rigid, it would take both hands.
IWB holsters are a very common way to carry a handgun among legal permit holders. When you see a guy with a gun in the waistband without a holster, there is some chance that he is up to no good.

I carry with a slightly different IWB holster but in the same position as the OP. I can draw, fire and re-holster without taking my eyes of the target.
The techniques are taught in most of the basic handgun-self defence classes. I can try and post photos if you are not sure what I am talking about.

grewal wrote: Concealing a pistol is easy that way , but what about revolver. I like underarm holster to carry my revolver.
Very easy to carry Revolvers without rig or anyother conceal carry aid.....even if u put pistol in ankle is easy rather than revolver,.....My experience......

)))cheers!!!

amit888_2000
A revolver can be carried IWB just like the OP's photo. There are plenty of IWB and OWB holsters available for revolvers. A shoulder holster might work great for a revolver but you will then need a cover garment (like a coat) which is fine for winter. What does one do in the summer? Many IWB and OWB holsters will allow you to get by with a loose T-shirt over the gun.
As far as ankle holsters go, a small revolver shouldn't be a problem to conceal there. If the (ankle holstered) revolver is too big, it's going to affect your mobility and comfort.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:24 am

Sweaty knickers.... :)
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

amit888_2000
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amit888_2000 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:56 pm

Thankx xl_target....A very informative post.....also IWB & OWB, but non of them is for conceal carry...but they are very good.....

shoulder holster works gr8, but not in summers....and more over with formals ....yes with the T-shirts....

My revolver is 2 inches & very light version, still mobility & confirt is an issue always....though i have a very good ankle holster, but still.....?

pls post photos if possible, also for revolvers...

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:07 am

amit888_2000 wrote:.....also IWB & OWB, but non of them is for conceal carry...but they are very good..
Amit, either IWB or OWB holsters can work well for concealed carry and can be easily concealed. All that is needed is a cover garment long enough the conceal the holster in its entirety. Most of todays holster makers make holsters that will snug the gun up tight against the body. What is necessary is a proper holster and a sturdy, rigid gunbelt. With that kind of rig, you will be able to carry the gun without fatigue all day.
A proper holser, IMO, is one that fits the gun, will hold it securely but still allow a smooth draw. It must also be able to attach itself securely to the belt so it cannot move around when the gun is being drawn. The holster must be rigid so the mouth does not collapse when the gun is drawn out. The belt is almost as important as the holster because a floppy, flexible belt will make any kind of carry uncomfortable.

shoulder holster works gr8, but not in summers....and more over with formals ....yes with the T-shirts....
I think I am misunderstanding you here but shoulder holsters can only be concealed with some kind of cover garment like a suit coat or a winter coat. I don't think you would be successful concealing a shoulder holster under a t-shirt.
pls post photos if possible, also for revolvers...
I'm sorry but I don't own any revolvers. Maybe someone like Timmy can post a photo of himself with one of his revolvers concealed.
I took some photos last night and created an animated gif with them so I could demonstrate the steps involved in drawing, presenting and re-holstering a handgun. It shouldn't make a difference whether it is a revolver or pistol. The steps would be the same. I was taught these steps when I took a defensive handgun class. No method is perfect but you will have to practice your chosen method till it becomes automatic. You chosen method will depend on the location of your holster, your choice of cover garment, the mechanics of your body and your style of presentation. As you can see, with the cover garment down, there is no visible trace of the gun.

Here is the animated gif with the steps laid out below it.

Frame 1: Standing still, the cover garment is draped over the gun.
Frame 2: Spread finger, palm down and thumb out
Frame 3: Insert thumb under hem of garment and pull up and back
Frame 4: When you reach the vicinity of the handgun, pivot wrist and grasp the butt of the gun.
Frame 5: Complete the grasping motion, keep finger straight so it will be off the trigger
Frame 6: Withdraw the gun straight up out of the holster, finger off the trigger
Frame 7: Pivot wrist so the gun is facing towards target, finger off the trigger. The other hand is pressed against the stomach.
Frame 8: Extend arm towards target and bring the sights in alignment with the eyes. Once the gun is clear of the body and past the position of the left hand, you can extend the left hand out and complete your two handed grip. Part of completing the two handed grip is putting your finger on the trigger.
Frame 9: When re-holstering; extend the thumb out again and sweep the hem of the garment back and up as you bring the gun to the vicinity of the holster. Finger off the trigger as you bring the gun back towards the body.
Frame 10: Insert the tip of the gun into the holster mouth. Finger is off the trigger and thumb is on the hammer.
Frame 11: Complete the holstering process. The thumb is on the hammer till the gun is fully holstered.
Frame 12: Allow garment to drape over the gun again.

There are some important things to remember:
Finger off the trigger until the gun is pointed at the target
Keep your weak hand (left in my case) flat against your stomach till your gun clears it. There have been people have shot through the weak hand as they go try complete the two handed grip.
Remove your finger from the trigger as soon as you start bringing the gun back towards your body. This is where a lot of people screwed up in the class.
In a defensive situation; you may be reacting with some surprise, you will be rattled and your adrenaline will be flowing among other things. It is possible to make all kinds of mistakes, That is why it was recommended to me that I practice it over and over again till it is an unconscious reaction.
If you are going to practice something like this, remove your magazine (put it in a different room, if you have to) and triple check your chamber to make sure it is empty.
Follow the four rules of gun handling (see M24's signature)
These steps work for me and my SIG P225. There are no external safety's on the SIG. IF you have a safety on your carry gun, you will have to make appropriate change in your procedure to take the saftey off and put it on again.

Disclaimer: If you try the above, please keep in mind that you follow these steps of your own volition. I should not be held accountable for any screw-ups or damages that might be caused by anyone's emulation of the above. This was just meant to show how I do it.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941