Efficacy of stun guns

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
Lordofrings
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Efficacy of stun guns

Post by Lordofrings » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:52 pm

Hii All,

Can anyone guide me as to how effective a stun gun is against assailants.

I have searched the internet but am unable to find real effects of usage of stun gun.

Some sites are saying that 5- 10 seconds touch will render the assailant unconscious while other are saying that it will only cause a limp.

your expert advice is solicited.

regards''

LordofRings

For Advertising mail webmaster
Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Efficacy of stun guns

Post by Rajat » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:19 pm

On the internet search for "Tasers" you will get more results.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taser

Jyotikajoe
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Jyotikajoe » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:44 pm

Hey I am also new in this & like to learn -- wiki nice link, m searching more information regarding stun guns

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:56 pm

I have searched the internet but am unable to find real effects of usage of stun gun.
Stun guns are no substitutes to firearms in matters of self defense. No serious and violent assailant is going to stand still and allow you to, keep your stun gun in contact with his body for 5-10 secs. It will be a miracle even if you are able to keep your stun gun in contact for 1 second and not also be at the receiving end of the attacker. So if you are serious about self defense, apply for arms license and keep firearms instead.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:27 pm

goodboy_mentor wrote:Stun guns are no substitutes to firearms in matters of self defense. No serious and violent assailant is going to stand still and allow you to, keep your stun gun in contact with his body for 5-10 secs.
Agreed these cannot substitute firearms but these are the best non lethal self defense systems. You would not always want to shoot an opponent, keep this in mind.

The other option is mace or pepper spray.

Tasers or stun guns are used all over the world (where available) and even by the police force largely. You do not have to keep a powerful taser in contact with the body for 5-10 seconds for it to be effective. Just a touch with the probes is enough and causes temporary muscle failure and the brain goes to a state of shock.

Tasers also have probes which can be fired from a distance to get in contact with the other persons body.

tonysilas
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by tonysilas » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Do we require a license to use those tasers and stun guns?
‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:59 pm

I have not heard of any license being issued or required for a Taser in India.

mannerofliving
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by mannerofliving » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:34 pm

I have used stun guns and stun batons and believe me, only the best ones work and many times not at all. Too many factors like clothing, if the perp is on super drugs and more effect the outcome. Still if you get the better ones (by taser), as well get some "proper" training and understand their limitations they do have a place in the toolbox of self defense.
Being 100% honest here, you may be better with a good pepper spray dispenser.

all In my opinion only

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:56 pm

Civilian ownership of Tasers (the kind which shoot out probes) is prohibited, only security forces are allowed to possess these.

The ordinary kind, which have to be physically held against an attacker to work, seem to fall in a grey area - people seem to be importing and selling these in India. Google to locate retailers/ resellers in India.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

IndiansForGuns
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by IndiansForGuns » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:03 am

Lordofrings wrote:Hii All,

Can anyone guide me as to how effective a stun gun is against assailants.

Some sites are saying that 5- 10 seconds touch will render the assailant unconscious while other are saying that it will only cause a limp.

your expert advice is solicited.

regards''

LordofRings
A lot of company that make stun guns claim that the buyer should replace a gun with a stun gun. This is simply not true. You can not replace a gun with a stun gun or even a taser.

Check here http://www.actionstunguns.com/howtousestungun.htm that website shows how to use the stun gun effectively.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2143698_effecti ... n-gun.html
Over feminine women of India are biggest weakness of the country - Mahatma Vinit.

ankitdashora
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ankitdashora » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:17 am

I had stun gun year before and 5-7 seconds make person unconscious ...there are many models this depend on their frequency... some could even die in 5-7 seconds depending on their body resistiblity towards electricity

arcraptor
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by arcraptor » Thu May 03, 2012 2:02 am

I saw taser and its use in DefenceExpo 2012 New Delhi . Taser is very effective. Let me tell what happened. The demonstrator called for a volunteer. A youth acquiesced. Then he called me and one other guy to hold him by his arms. Then he fired the taser(kept it for about 1-1.5 sec) and INSTANTLY the guy was hanging from our arms. It took about 15-20 seconds for him to get up.