Finger off the trigger?

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Finger off the trigger?

Post by mundaire » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:08 am

Interesting discussion at http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.p ... n-Of-Worms
So let me ask you guys...have any of you pointed a gun at a bad guy...or suspected bad guy...or anyone you remotely thought you might have to shoot with your finger OFF the trigger?

There is a place for "finger off trigger", but holding an adversary at gunpoint while he decides whether you will shoot him or not may not be it.

I am not the first to say this. In a 2000 write up in the now gone IWBA magazine, Dr. Martin Fackler wrote about the folly of teaching finger-always-off methodology. As expected, the dino-cops of the era ate him alive and the matter was dropped.

Well...you all know how much I care about getting the approval of others in the community - - so here we go.

I have never pointed a gun at a bad guy with my finger off the trigger.

I have never challenged anyone from low ready.

Everytime I challenged a bad guy I did it from "pointed in" and with finger firmly on trigger. Everyone I worked with did the same thing. Know what? Nobody ever got shot that didn't have it coming.

In my experiments, a bad guy role player was often able to get the drop on a low ready using, finger in register, good guy, while the good guy pointed in with finger on trigger made it far less easy for the bad guy role player.

Add good tactics and cover to the pointed in/finger on trigger methodology and things were good for the good guy. Something to think about, but as always...a man has to know his limitations. Ifr you are a spastic, tremor prone, red bull mainliner, that jumps out of his skin at the sound of a distant car maybe this idea is not for you. But then again...if that is you, maybe guns are not for you either.

Thoughts??
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Finger off the trigger?

Post by dr.jayakumar » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:32 am

mr.mundaire, i agree finger on trigger is the right way to handle a bad guy.dr.jk

StormWerkz
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by StormWerkz » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:43 am

I have had bad guys in my pistol sights with my finger on the trigger simply because my plan was to shoot.
I train with finger off but you know when it is time to apply pressure.
my 2 cents

Josh

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:55 am

StormWerkz wrote:I have had bad guys in my pistol sights with my finger on the trigger simply because my plan was to shoot.
I train with finger off but you know when it is time to apply pressure.
my 2 cents

Josh
Absolutely.
Never had a bad guy in my sights but if I did it would be with my finger on the trigger.
No point in pointing your gun at a bad guy if you're not ready to shoot.
At the range, my finger hits the trigger as soon as my sights start lining up with the target. One instructor pointed out that I was not taking the finger off the trigger quickly enough when coming back off the ready position. I try to keep that in mind.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:58 pm

there is situations, when no clear target is present, then why not to keep it of trigger, and gun lowered, for better view. once target present there is no question where finger should be. Even then, there is reactionary gap and Israeli proved that it can be used to disarm the gun. So, if you can get your guns snatched from you with finger on trigger, then with finger off trigger it will be snatched from you all the time.

In Indian scenario there is a lot more misconceptions and in general people do not understand, that there is something to learn about use of hand guns, just to own a gun is not enough. Most dangerous misconception (maybe some one can add more) I have gun, I will pull my gun from my pocket and everybody will afraid. Not at all, Indian goondas perfectly informed that most gun owners, or weak on stomach part to shoot, or simply do not have idea how to shot. There is a LOT of people who do not afraid of guns, they will go straight on you and good bye my gun.

It is not even enough to learn how to shoot stationary target also. One example it happens in my native city. L shaped stair case about 30m long in shopping mall, on top guy with revolver at bottom ex army guy trained in special operations. army guy run up stairs in Z style, guy with the gun shoot 5-6 times and miss completely and been apprehended.

There is a lot of thing to learn on use of guns, otherwise get very good life insurance.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:26 pm

Subal das wrote:
In Indian scenario there is a lot more misconceptions and in general people do not understand, that there is something to learn about use of hand guns, just to own a gun is not enough. Most dangerous misconception (maybe some one can add more) I have gun, I will pull my gun from my pocket and everybody will afraid. Not at all, Indian goondas perfectly informed that most guns owner or weak on stomach part to shoot or simply do not have idea how to shot. There is a LOT of people who do not afraid of guns, they will go straight on you and good bye my gun.

It is not even enough to learn how to shoot stationary target also. One example it happens in my native city. L shaped stair case about 30m long in shopping mall, on top guy with revolver at bottom ex army guy trained in special operations. army guy run up stairs in Z style, guy with the gun shoot 5-6 times and miss completely and been apprehended.

There is a lot of thing to learn on use of guns, otherwise get very good life insurance.
Quite true Subal, there is big difference in the Indian context. The poster is Gabe Suarez who is quite a well known firearms instructor in the US. Many carry permit holders in the states, take training classes from people like Gabe where they are taught the fundamentals of good shooting and proven techniques that have been distilled from years of experience. Some of these classes will require you to shoot hundreds of rounds. Also many of these permit holders participate in shooting games where they practice shooting moving targets as well as stationary targets. Your practice time and ammunition purchases are limited only by the size of your pocket book.

It is hard to become proficient with the limited amount of ammunition available to the law-abiding Indian citizen. It is just not easy to hit your target consistently with a handgun without some practice. Another thing that some of these classes will teach you is the mindset that you must have to survive an encounter with an armed assailant. As the Tueller Drills show, it doesn't take much time for an armed assailant to close with you. If you're not willing to use the gun and so you have your finger off the trigger when pointed at a bad guy, you might as well not have pulled the gun.

Remember rules 2 and 3
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.

If I'm pointed at a bad guy, I'd better be willing to fire the gun. Since my sights are on him, my finger is on the trigger. This should apply to anyone using a handgun. Using a gun just to scare someone away is stupid and could be fatal to you.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Rajat » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:17 pm

If it already comes to the extent of drawing a gun on an adversary / bad guy then there is no reason why your finger should not be on the trigger.

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:48 pm

xl_target wrote: Remember rules 2 and 3
2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
3) Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target.

If I'm pointed at a bad guy, I'd better be willing to fire the gun. Since my sights are on him, my finger is on the trigger. This should apply to anyone using a handgun. Using a gun just to scare someone away is stupid and could be fatal to you.
[/quote]

Situation in Army not much better, and recently been debated again .... it twinkles

In India commandos trained by Mosad, I doubt they even know that this guy is Mosad katsa, whom else they will send.
Indian security forces need to learn and copy every single thing Mosad do. It is most efficient organization in the world of intelligence, and best of it - it is does not exist.
Because organization officially does not exist it offer perfect deniability. Yesterday HM on TV said, related to 26/11, - if diplomacy fail, then there only one option more diplomacy.

Question is what kind of diplomacy?? In Lebanon, for example quite a lot of foreigners been kidnapped for ransom ... Americans and what ever else they can catch. But no Russians been kidnapped, for about 20 years, it become a bad style to kidnap russian businessmen, after Russian commandos paid them friendly visit. For that kind of diplomacy I would vouch in Indian contest. If you are real patriot you should do exactly that. Doing right things for your country does no mean sliding to anarchy, just do adequate things. But these guys discovered different meaning of been a patriot, well .. OK India been on sale before.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:16 pm

I dont know-regardless of the latest 'videocity' brouha, muscle memory says, if i draw, i have finger on trigger
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."