Car jacking: What defence?

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Car jacking: What defence?

Post by Subal das » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:46 pm

airgun_novice wrote:
Subal das wrote:if he is close, grab his hand (in case door/window open) pull down as much as you can and drive. you cant run with your hands down , ain't you. ROTFL ROTFL
Dear Subal,
What if someone like say, the wife is sitting in the passenger's seat ? Pulling down the assailant's hand and driving on is surely an invitation to fire at least one shot off ? Hmmm, that is if the shot does not take the driver's on-the-gear left hand/ wrist off first. What say ?
if you with wife and your adversary clearly need just a car, why do you want to pull a gun and give him a reason to shot you. just give them a car, if you got GPS tracker fixed you can have some fun later, when your wife at home. better try to outsmart you adversary rather then out-shoot him

IN best case let say, you shot and kill the guy, what is good in this ... killing is bad, not to say about all legal troubles, and not last .... you can be killed too.

also to put a bullet at alive entity is not an easy thing, and because of that and other adrenalin factors probability to miss very very high. if you do not do it on regular base.

if some body hunting they know, at beginning of hunting seasons, a lot of charges goes into milk. another phenomena I observed not once, let say you did not hunt for some time 2-3 weeks - FIRST shot is always miss.

my c2 weight your chances very well before pulling a gun on someone.

and last, if you trapped his left hand and start driving and dragging him with your car probability that he can shot with his right hand a very low.

that trapping hand maneuver is MOST effective thing to do in such situation when you in a car and he pulling his hand to grab you or to open the door lock via window.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

For Advertising mail webmaster
dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:37 am

there seems very less or no chance for an right hand drive car driver. :deadhorse:

airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airgun_novice » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:02 pm

Subal das wrote:
airgun_novice wrote:
Subal das wrote:if he is close, grab his hand (in case door/window open) pull down as much as you can and drive. you cant run with your hands down , ain't you. ROTFL ROTFL
Dear Subal,
What if someone like say, the wife is sitting in the passenger's seat ? Pulling down the assailant's hand and driving on is surely an invitation to fire at least one shot off ? Hmmm, that is if the shot does not take the driver's on-the-gear left hand/ wrist off first. What say ?
if you with wife and your adversary clearly need just a car, why do you want to pull a gun and give him a reason to shot you. just give them a car, if you got GPS tracker fixed you can have some fun later, when your wife at home. better try to outsmart you adversary rather then out-shoot him

[deleted for brevity - airgun_novice]

that trapping hand maneuver is MOST effective thing to do in such situation when you in a car and he pulling his hand to grab you or to open the door lock via window.
:agree: with abandoning the car - Discretion being the better part of Valor. I still think hand trapping has somewhat of a chance if the assailant's got a knife or similar weapon. With a pistol in the assailant's hand, only Luck can swing itself the victim's way. BTW, if the dude's really into car jacking for re-sale into the black/grey market then he would have a mechanic friend who will be well-versed with GPS etc. and that's the first thing they will try to find and yank off - unless they (and their clients) are outright stupid.

Anyway, wish to share two personal experiences from Dec of 2009 - neither of them actually car-jacking but both of them prospective car-jacking. Hope I am not bumping the thread or taking it elsewhere. If so, kindly excuse.

I undertook a 9-day road trip (forts and religious places) all alone in interior MH (Marathwada area) covering 3500+ km totally. Wife and kids being on Kerala trip with my in-laws and not finding anyone to accompany, I still undertook it. Later I learnt that the area was infamous for a few car-jacking incidents, robberies, rape and murder of car-passengers. Though I traveled at all times of day and night, I was lucky - but here's two incidents that could be prospective car-jacking incidents.

1. I turned left from Pune-Banglaore Highway (NH-4) towards Pandharpur - it was dusk. I saw a well-built muscled dark bearded man with a bike wheel in his hand motioning for passing vehicles to stop for a ride. None did but (stupidly or generously) I did. He walked around to talk to me but I motioned him to talk from the passenger side and slid the power window down a few inches. His story - bike punctured, wife and four kids stranded on the way back from Pandharpur (to Karad) - road was really very bad, no mechanic there. He begged me for a ride as it was indeed getting dark and the family was all alone ahead. I obliged - asked him to keep the wheel on the back seat (not in the trunk) and had him sit next to me - but insisted that he strap on ("Mumbai registered Car - you know the RTO on the highways trouble us needlessly"). He obliged and put on the belt. Turned out he really was a gentleman and saw his wife and 4 kids anxiously waiting a few kms ahead. Now my thought process - If he's a crook - he might throw off the luggage from the trunk to his gang members; so not to open it - & I didn't want to step out. Two, if he follows the seat-belt on instruction, he's restricted and also caught off-guard and can not use his massive muscle bulk against me in full leverage; plus chances are he really is OK. His eyes also showed his anxiety (but he could have been a good actor).
As an aside, imagine 4 kids + 1 woman with the dude on a bike !!!

2. Later on journey from Beed city to Ambejogai town, I chose to follow a "newer" road that did not show up on the map (I always carry a MH-state Map book on my trips) and it went through the most scenic mountainous route! Incidentally, at a point I could see the State Transport bus long away on the winding road going down the mountain. A few km later, I saw two youths standing atop a plateau on the mountain without even a tree shade motioning me to stop. There were a few goats grazing but no other registered member of animal kingdom around. Dunno why - but I stopped (again - stupidity probably). Again the opp. side window slid a few inches down to enable communication. They explained that they missed the ST bus (I had seen it from afar but they would not know that) to Ambejogai. They were school teachers, originally from Nanded, working in that off-beat village. They had given the B.Ed. exam and awaited results that evening in the closest "big" place - Ambejogai. Now they would have to go on Monday (it was Friday that day) but then their paper work with the Dept of Education would get delayed due to Sat-Sun, other holidays etc. Quick thinking and I asked them both to sit on the back side (this time) and brought my stuff on the front passenger seat. While driving down the mountain, talked, heard their story told them mine and shared my fruit and water with them. I silently took my seat belt off. My thought process - talking would give me a natural cover to keep looking in the mirrors without arousing any suspicion even if they had a plan. Plus physically, I was (or looked) stronger than either of them and one of them would always be restricted should they choose to attack (grasp physically from behind). I had the elements of car speed and brake at my disposal. However turned out they were also gentlemen and very much over-whelmed with my gesture and guided me around Ambejogai - showed me a couple of Ashrams, temples and also Pramod Mahajan's house! Finally, at the temple itself they warned the shop-keeping lady not to take me for a ride and be reasonable in pricing the goods - they knew her.

Needless to say on both the occasions, as is my custom during such trips, I had an open 3" blade folding pocket knife and a 15" steel rod big screw driver on my right side which would allow me to use my right hand on anyone to my left. Plus a camp-ax that I brought over from the US. I probably had more evil in my heart than any of those poor folks I gave ride to - if only they knew ! :) Though neither turned out to be car-jacking in the final run, these incidents still had the potential to develop into - hence sharing with y'all.

-- Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:36 pm --
dr.jayakumar wrote:there seems very less or no chance for an right hand drive car driver. :deadhorse:
:agree: With non-combatants like wife and kids on your side and weapon, especially a gun on the other side :agree:
==
O Shea (character): Guns make you nervous ?
Charles Bronson: Guns or the users ? Idiots with guns make me nervous.
(Death Wish V)