That unmistakable sound

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

That unmistakable sound

Post by xl_target » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:59 am

Pregnant Woman With Shotgun Thwarts Burglars
It’s the last thing two burglary suspects expected to hear when they broke into a Coon Rapids home. From within the house came the unmistakable sound of a pump shotgun. At the other end of that gun was a 22-year-old woman who is nine weeks pregnant. The young woman asked not to be identified because the two suspects are still at large. However, she says when the men ignored her barking pit bull and black lab, and broke through a kitchen door, she had no other choice but to chamber a round into the 12-gauge shotgun.
There’s perhaps no other sound that commands as much respect and fear. The young woman at the business end of that gun was home alone and prepared to protect herself.
Link Here
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: That unmistakable sound

Post by dr.jayakumar » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:34 am

''There’s perhaps no other sound that commands as much respect and fear''
true.guys must have peeied in their pants.
if not for the gun i doubt she would have survived.
regards

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:01 pm

Good story.A clear example of while you inform the police to come,be prepared to protect yourself meanwhile. Thanks for posting,XL.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:10 pm

There are a lot of people here, in the US, who question whether Defensive Gun Use (DGU) happens much. As the economy has soured, there seem to have been an increase in home invasions. This sort of thing is starting to take place more frequently of late. At least there are plenty of people allowed to defend themselves here. Often, just the mere presence of a gun in the hands of a would be victim is enough to stop the crime. The goal should be to stop the threat and not kill or maim someone. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you shouldn't be prepared to shoot but in any defensive situation, shooting your gun is not the object. Sometimes, unfortunately, one might not have that choice.

See this blog post:
http://slowfacts.wordpress.com/2011/12/ ... newspaper/

As an aside: While I would definitely recommend that everyone who has a gun should avail themselves of additional training, there may be members of society who cannot afford that training due to infirmity or for financial reasons. We shouldn't deny them the tools to protect themselves just because they haven't been able to turn themselves into Samurai Warriors. That mentality is often akin to some kind of gun-rights elitism. You will see it a lot in the different gun forums. You will often see stuff like "No one should be allowed to own a gun unless they are forced to take a training class". I see it sometimes in this forum too and this is just crap. As long as they follow the laws of the land, everyone has the right to defend themselves. Some of the people who complain the loudest about their rights are often willing to deny others their rights (especially with this training issue). If you don't think so, then you may be in the same category as the politicians who have armed guards but who don't want you, the average citizen, to be able to defend yourself.

Everyone has the right to defend themselves and their loved ones, not just the Ninja's or the elites. The "paan-walla" on the corner has just as much right to protect himself as the scion of a big hotel chain or the greasy politician in his assembly hall.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:04 am

Thanks, XL! Your point about inability to obtain training is very valid for India - if someone has a quota of 10 or so cartridges per year, will he use it for training or keep it "for the rainy day"?

Cheers!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:11 pm

Use the first year's ammo for training in year two. Any training is better than none. Borrow, beg ammo for training from those with higher quotas where possible.
In the country I am in, we can only buy 1000 'manufactured' rounds a year in certain calibers. However there are no restrictions on reloading, so we make full use of that loophole.

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:46 am

MoA wrote:Use the first year's ammo for training in year two. Any training is better than none. Borrow, beg ammo for training from those with higher quotas where possible.
In the country I am in, we can only buy 1000 'manufactured' rounds a year in certain calibers. However there are no restrictions on reloading, so we make full use of that loophole.
i beg,borrow..steal from my fellow gunowners.there are lot of people who can't use a gun at all.i get their confidence,buy catridges on their name ,use and return the empties to them,though tedious i do it.
if i could reload .32 catridges i would be the happiest person.
regards

ribaalber
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ribaalber » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:33 pm

Reload meaning?
You mean re-using a Shotgun Shell?
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms .... disarm only
those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes....."
- Thomas Jefferson

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general.
~Mark Rippetoe

thebrowningeffect
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by thebrowningeffect » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:09 pm

ribaalber wrote:Reload meaning?
You mean re-using a Shotgun Shell?
He mentioned .32 cartridge what made you think of a shotgun. :?:
”An armed society is a polite society.”
~Robert Heinlein~