Can single old lady request arms licence ?

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
k28
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Can single old lady request arms licence ?

Post by k28 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:23 pm

Hi,

One of my relative is single old lady living alone in a big house in pune , arnd 60 yrs old , as her daughteers are settled in US & UK , can she request the arms licence for her self defence? How difficult would it be for her to get it ? Is this valid case for requesting such a licence and are there any preconditions which need to be met before such licence is issued by authorities?

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Can single old lady request arms licence ?

Post by xl_target » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:33 pm

According to the law, any citizen of India can request an arms licence.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

gladiatorgarg
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by gladiatorgarg » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:44 pm

i think it will not be a problem unless she has some medical problems..what i mean she is medically fit to handle a weapon...and any indian citizen who is adult and without any criminal record can posses a weapon licence...so far as my limited knowledge goes...i feel the guru's will be able to enlighten us better...

k28
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by k28 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:49 pm

How feasible it is to get it ? As per Pune police website , if you are requesting arms licence for self protection , u need to attach a proof that you have been attached before with an FIR of that incident , which sounds really weird to me considering one may not always survive that attack !!!!

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:45 pm

xl_target wrote:According to the law, any citizen of India can request an arms licence.
I quite agree.... Anyone can apply for an arms license in India - except criminals (who dont need one anyway - they can own and use any weapon NPB/PB freely, they dont even have an ammo quota how nice is that!?)

Previous attacks / Incidents: I agree with you absolutely k28 If you have been attacked before (and have somehow survived) you are eligible to apply for an arms license on the basis of 'self defense' / 'need to defend yourself'. Or else, tough luck! If you are dead you dont need an arms license anyway - hilarious! ROTFL

:cheers:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:02 pm

One of my relative is single old lady living alone in a big house in pune , arnd 60 yrs old , as her daughteers are settled in US & UK , can she request the arms licence for her self defence?
Of course she can apply and get license issued. Why she cannot get license unless she is disqualified under Section 14 of Arms Act 1959? Section 14 basically means that a person is disqualified if below 21 years of age or of unsound mind or has record of committing heinous crimes.
How difficult would it be for her to get it ?
There are many factors including how the application is chased by the applicant.
Is this valid case for requesting such a licence and are there any preconditions which need to be met before such licence is issued by authorities?
Of course this case is a valid case. There are no legal "preconditions" for the issue of license. Every citizen has the right to get a license unless disqualified by Section 14 of Arms Act 1959. The conditions for refusal are laid down clearly under Section 14 of Arms Act 1959. There are plenty of judgements by courts, you may read the following links to understand the matter in detail http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 64#p147708 and http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15638
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:45 pm

Good clarification - as usual goodboy_mentor!
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!