Your experiences of Self Defense in Real Life

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Your experiences of Self Defense in Real Life

Post by xl_target » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:38 pm

Congratulations!
You and your family are still alilve. Without a gun, you would have been at the mercy of the criminals.
I've never been in any kind of situation like that but I hope I will be at least as prepared as you were.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:05 pm

I would only say 3 things

Congrats and thank god that you are alive.

I am sure you would be thanking every now and then and more than you your family members, but at the same time, upgrade the defense not only your home but also get your family members to be your backups. God forbidden if at the same time those thugs instead of running outside, would have run inside the home, they would have done all the damage, they could have gone inside using the same car cover, who knows.
So i always believe that the ladies should be trained too, atleast familier with handling and able to fire without hesitation. Its always good to have back up, at bare minimum they can help in such situations.

Third as already pointed out, practice now even more :) as you know that now its not your worst nightmare but a reality that you live in such place where it can happen.

DOM
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by DOM » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:02 pm

sa_ali wrote:I would only say 3 things

Congrats and thank god that you are alive.

I am sure you would be thanking every now and then and more than you your family members, but at the same time, upgrade the defense not only your home but also get your family members to be your backups. God forbidden if at the same time those thugs instead of running outside, would have run inside the home, they would have done all the damage, they could have gone inside using the same car cover, who knows.
So i always believe that the ladies should be trained too, atleast familier with handling and able to fire without hesitation. Its always good to have back up, at bare minimum they can help in such situations.

Third as already pointed out, practice now even more :) as you know that now its not your worst nightmare but a reality that you live in such place where it can happen.
yes bro, few days back i had started the thread for .32 bore pistols for my wife.
got nice advice's from the member of IFG, will buy revolver for my wife soon..

and thanks all for giving me advice, this is how we can help each other
The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:52 am

dom,
your have acted rightly,most of us would have fumbled,as we don't have proper practice,and a spare mag with ammo is rare amongst us.you should be proud,as you have defended your family and also the other tenants.
good that you have noticed early or else the damage would have been real bad.
regards

ramtiger
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by ramtiger » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:57 am

@DOM
Congratulations!
You save your family and others
Happy to hear this and you are alive

Sudhakar4Sharma
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Sudhakar4Sharma » Thu May 10, 2012 4:24 pm

Hi Guys,

came across an interesting article, so thought od sharing it with you !!!!

http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/Tuel ... .Close.htm

regards,
Sudhakar

ak27
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ak27 » Thu May 10, 2012 4:58 pm

A great article Sudhakar4Sharma. Very practical, especially in the Indian Law scenario where even 'firing for your life' is often framed as a crime. :x

Very true that if possible tactical retreat(read 'run-like-hell') :lol: is the safest thing to do even when you yield a force multiplier.

Was actually hoping for a few illustrations of real-life self-defense incidents in order to strengthen the practical importance of RKBA.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - Ben Franklin

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Thu May 10, 2012 7:06 pm

DOM wrote:While searching the forum, saw this thread, so i m sharing the baddest time of my life.

DISCLAIMER : Following is a real incident but some of the points have been deliberately changed for the sake of it being on an open internet forum.

Hi All,

A day of December 2011, on a weekend evening, I came back home with my family from a short trip of market and parked my car inside. Family went upstairs and I started to take care of my car as it got some mud and I had to clean it. Due to the compact parking area and thus lack of maneuvering around the car, I had to keep the main door slightly opened. Well, big mistake/ blunder/negligence etc etc etc.

So here was I kneeling around the front tyre of my car when I noticed a guy getting inside the gate. One thing to mention that we have tenants on the ground floor and one of the lady there used to teach inter-level students. So when I saw him, I was just wondering if he was one of her students or some relative. He also had a bag on his shoulder like students have and may be that is why I was kind of confused. I stood up, and 2 more guys followed him inside. Suddenly the 1st guy pulled up his shirt and started pulling a pistol.

I had my trusted Stoeger Cougar on me, safety off, chamber loaded and hammer down.The shirt was not tucked. Seeing him reaching for his pistol triggered all the alarm bells in my mind and at that time I decided to not to let them get into the residential area of the house where the family was. I quickly pulled my shirt up and started to draw the pistol while moving on my left side. The distance b/w me and the 1st guy was hardly 6-ft. When he saw me going for the pistol, he stretched his arm and fired a shot. I took the hit on the right side of the chest and lost my balance and fell. Laying down, I returned fire at him. All 3 ran out. I had them in my sights so I fired some more shots. As soon as they were out of the vision, I reloaded, ran upstairs and told my wife that I have been shot and lets go to hospital.

I was so panicked that I was not able to think of anything else other than getting to the hospital as most of the casualties happen here because of blood loss hence my ultimate goal now was to reach for getting medical aid. I went back downstairs, and drove to the nearest clinic. I could feel the wetness of blood on my shirt and also started to feel the pain of gunshot wound. I reached the emergency ward, told the medics that I have been shot. Usually most private clinics and hospitals here do not take such cases because of the legal issues but may be because I was in a stable state, they inspected me and my wound. It turned out that the bullet struck almost parallel to my body on the right chest, traveled inside around 4-5 inches parallel to the ribs and then exited. I was shot from a distance of a mere 4ft and I had carbon deposits in the entry and exit wounds and other scratches were also there which may be were from the unburnt propellant hitting me or what, I am not really sure about it.

They entry wound was quite small but the exit wound was around 1 inch in diameter. The bleeding was not severe as well. This made me quite relaxed but the pain was increased many folds in intensity. My wife meanwhile contacted the ambulance and I was shifted to a proper hospital of the city where they treated me and I was released the very next day.

I could not possibly tell whether I hit any of them but my cousin told me that there was some blood near the road which ofcourse could not be mine. The police came, took my statement and I registered the FIR against the usual "unknowns" for attempted murder and robbery.

I am thankful to Allah that I was saved miraculously. The wounds are yet to be healed properly but there is nothing worrisome about them. I recovered the bullet the very next day from the porch, a .30 caliber. The bullet was not deformed at all and could almost be reloaded.

The whole incident got us pretty shaky and I am on extra high alert due to the fear of retaliation from them which may or may not ever happen. I hope there are lessons for all of us in this story.

I would really like to get feedback on this from all of you and will appreciate any critical comments and mistakes that I might have made except the "You should have complied" thing because when they are inside the home, I think we should expect the worst specially when we have ladies in the family and act according to it.

And yes, no news from police regarding success in the suspects being caught.
freind,
what do you want us to say?you were wrong?what you have done is beyound criticism.
i think i would have failed in such a situation.from now on i have decided that i wil carry my pistol always, whether going for a walk or work.
with warm regards
dr.jk

Priyan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Priyan » Thu May 10, 2012 7:38 pm

My case of self defense didn't involve any firearms the threat was on my family member but I did manage to defend them. I was a kid then, in 8th grade IIRC. I don't feel like telling it and even if I do you'll have a hard time believing it so let the old matter stay buried in memory. :)
When I'll get to shoot a gun?

ak27
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ak27 » Thu May 10, 2012 7:42 pm

Priyan wrote:My case of self defense didn't involve any firearms the threat was on my family member but I did manage to defend them. I was a kid then, in 8th grade IIRC. I don't feel like telling it and even if I do you'll have a hard time believing it so let the old matter stay buried in memory. :)
Well, can you at least tell us the weapon used?? :)
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - Ben Franklin

varunik
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by varunik » Thu May 10, 2012 7:55 pm

A guy once attacked me, because I used to spend time with her crush.
He punched me hard. I had to chew his nose off.
So many times, it happens too fast
You trade your passion for glory
Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive

It's the eye of the tiger
It's the thrill of the fight
Risin' up to the challenge
Of our rival
And the last known survivor
Stalks his prey in the night
And he's watching us all with the
Eye of the tiger

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Thu May 10, 2012 8:04 pm

Priyan wrote:My case of self defense didn't involve any firearms the threat was on my family member but I did manage to defend them. I was a kid then, in 8th grade IIRC. I don't feel like telling it and even if I do you'll have a hard time believing it so let the old matter stay buried in memory. :)
friend comeon,
you should share,your experiance.only if you do so,we can learn something.this whole forum is about self defence.
feel free priyan.
regards
dr.jk

Priyan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Priyan » Thu May 10, 2012 8:09 pm

ak27 wrote:Well, can you at least tell us the weapon used?? :)
A Naga dao, forged at the furnace of god's thunderbolt and Thor's hammer :D
Jokes aside, I did actually use a Naga dao.

Dear varunik,
A guy once attacked me, because I used to spend time with her crush.
Lolwut?
I don't wanna sound rude but "he who fishes on other men's land often catches crab." 'nuff said.

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Thu May 10, 2012 8:27 pm

i once punched an eve teaser ( i'm a guy ) when i was out with a friend.I aimed for his nose but he moved a little.My knuckles (first two) landed on his eyebrow and finger bones did some retinal damage i guess.Then the crowd took over... i couldn't hold a pen for three days.I punched the creep and dragged her out of there to avoid complications.

All i can say is- if you can't control the adrenalin, you are as good as useless with all your training and practice.Hope the freak can't see out of that eye.
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

Priyan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Priyan » Thu May 10, 2012 9:50 pm

Dear Skyman,
I agree with you, from all the adrenaline pumping into your bloodstream it's hard to control yourself in that type of situation.

I used to box when I was in school (nothing fancy, won a few local inter-school championships) and I can assure you that the best place to attack in self defense are the eyes. One punched in the eyes is not gonna be able to attack you again, just remember to punch hard enough to make him consider messing with you again.
Still the better self-defense is not to roam in 'bad' places especially if you have a female with you.