Shoot for his legs,I say

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Shoot for his legs,I say

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:25 am

For all the quick gun murguns out there :mrgreen: Now try to visualize a more Indian scenario where a fellow might be carrying a pistol 'plugged into his pants' as a member put it ROTFL

[youtube][/youtube]

For Advertising mail webmaster
sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Shoot for his legs,I say

Post by sa_ali » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:59 pm

lovely video, these dudes, always put something fantastic

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Makes the point rather convincingly. :cheers:

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:18 pm

@wtp,
Very aptly put header!
:)

Makes me think that that the best thing is to be putting distance between yourself and your would be assailant is the best course of action.
And if you gotta use a gun, use it in time and make it count.
To Excellence through Diligence.

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:04 pm

Why think of Quickgun Muruguns in India, even the Lucky Lukes in America will in all probability go unlucky in a similar situation :D

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Wonder if a revolver would be faster?
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:45 pm

The Tueller Drill
1.5 seconds can go by very, very quick if you are not prepared (and even if you are).

Dennis Tueller's classic report - March 1983
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:06 am

I wonder if rolling away to the side and then drawing can be considered? By rolling away, the attacker would have to rethink, giving us draw time.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:35 am

Nice WTP -- these guys are great..my solution agree put distance run like hell if they still chase fire in the air ( I mean after putting some distance) in such situations if I had my gun in my pant yup 40% chance I would mess it up in embarrassing way ROTFL

So morale of the story first line of defense wear Good shoes and practice running 50 yards sprints :mrgreen:

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:48 am

ngrewal wrote:Nice WTP -- these guys are great..my solution agree put distance run like hell if they still chase fire in the air ( I mean after putting some distance) in such situations if I had my gun in my pant yup 40% chance I would mess it up in embarrassing way ROTFL

So morale of the story first line of defense wear Good shoes and practice running 50 yards sprints :mrgreen:
This.

In a lot of situations, "getting the hell out of there" is probably the best option.

The big problem is that it took me about 40 years to really realize it, but fortunately I never intentionally did anything to put me in a bad situation to begin with.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:10 am

In some situations,running away is not an option.If you have a family member who would also be in danger,you simply can not take to your heels.I would imagine that you would work out both the scenarios,one where you can put some distance between you and the assailant and two,where you stand your ground.

Also,what if the assailant is a better runner than you?

Bespoke
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Bespoke » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:51 am

Shoot for his legs? the chances of missing are far more than a body shot .I think this test is childish the shooter isn't moving no one carries a gun like that and fortunately at present we don't have a lot of people who run at people with knife just like that and people don't go around carrying knives in hand they also have to draw or pull a knife.having a firearm in self defense is not enough most of the times but its your fitness level that will take you long way.I have seen a man with drawn revolver getting slapped hell out of him.
“Bravery is believing in yourself, and that thing nobody can teach you.”

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:55 am

winnie_the_pooh wrote:In some situations,running away is not an option.If you have a family member who would also be in danger,you simply can not take to your heels.I would imagine that you would work out both the scenarios,one where you can put some distance between you and the assailant and two,where you stand your ground.

Also,what if the assailant is a better runner than you?
Winnie, obviously there are some situations where you cannot retreat. Pulling the handgun is a last resort. No one knows how one will react in a situation like that. It is a quandry that a law abiding citizen has to struggle over. I'm not trying to be patronizing as this is an issue I have struggled over myself. I have no desire to harm anyone else but I have an even greater desire to not be harmed myself (and I don't want my loved ones harmed either). If one's situational awareness fails and one allows oneself to get into a situation like the one in the above video, you don't have many choices left. I don't know how I would react to that situation till it happens but I can try to prepare.

All my instructors in every self defense class have suggested that you have to be alert all the time. Look around constantly, ahead and behind you and watch the sides. Keep you gun hand free and get ready when you see a possible threat. Cross the street if you feel you could get ganged up on on your side of the sidewalk. Stop or slow down so you have time to react to the threat. Many times when would be muggers see you are alert, they will change their minds.
A couple of years ago, my daughter, who knew my love for the Monty Python shows bought tickets for the two of us to see the play "Spamalot". We went to downtown Minneapolis and having some time to kill before the show, we took a walk down the street to look at the shops etc,. Minneapolis is a strange town. At times and you can go to a different block and the the nature of the neighborhood can change drastically. We were not paying much attention and all of a sudden the hair stood up on the back of my neck and I got real alert. About 25 to 30 feet away was a group of individuals dressed in rapper-like clothes and they were eyeing us (all of them) and the area was almost deserted. I got a jolt of adrenaline and everything became real sharp and slowed down. I eased my hand under my shirt and gripped the butt of my 9mm. I had my hand on my daughter'S arm and I pulled her to a stop. As soon as my eyes met the eyes of the guy in the front of the group, I could see his eyes change and he looked away. Maybe it was my imagination but they seemed to lose interest when I put my hand on the gun. Keep in mind that no one could see the gun as it was still under my shirt but they knew what the move meant. We crossed the street right there in the middle of the block and went back towards the more populated neighborhood. I have no idea what warned me but I could feel the chill when the adrenaline hit. After that I try to be a lot more alert when I am on foot, especially when I have a family member with me.

Re: My previous post about the Tueller drill; Tueller was a law enforcement Officer and his tests and results were meant for the benefit of other LEO's. They do open carry and being exposed more than the average citizen to the dregs of society are more likely to find themselves in a situation like that. However, it is still possible for a law abiding citizen to find themselves in a bad spot. It takes time to draw from concealment. Many of us will not or cannot open carry like a police officer. Trying to draw from an inside the waistband holster and fire accurately at an assailant charging at you is not easy. To do it in 1.5 seconds is very tough without practice, a lot of practice. Practice will ingrain the movements into your muscle memory. Drawing the gun is a last resort, when no other option will succeed. How do we make that determination? Only you can decide that but if you go as far as drawing, you'd better be prepared to use it.
Shoot for his legs? the chances of missing are far more than a body shot .I think this test is childish the shooter isn't moving no one carries a gun like that and fortunately at present we don't have a lot of people who run at people with knife just like that and people don't go around carrying knives in hand they also have to draw or pull a knife.having a firearm in self defense is not enough most of the times but its your fitness level that will take you long way.
You are correct. The chances of missing the legs in a situation like that is extremely easy. The test, however, is not childish. It is based on the Tueller drill and was formulated by a serving police officer based on his real life experiences. If however you do draw, you'd better be prepared to use it without hesitation.
All cops in the US, unless they are undercover or in plainclothes, carry their guns in a similar way to that shown in the video.
I have seen a man with drawn revolver getting slapped hell out of him.
In that case I would say that he wasn't prepared to use it after drawing. Do that with the intention of brandishing it to scare your opponent and you're guaranteed to get it taken away from you (by a more determined individual). Taking a gun away from an individual who is determined to use it is a different matter altogether. Anyone trying that will most likely get shot.

That reminds me of an anecdote. It is quite common for the anti-gun people to make an argument that you shouldn't carry as it will get taken away from you and then used against you. A few years ago, in one Twin Cities class, they brought in a martial arts expert who knew many ways to disarm a person with a gun. She said that if you pull a gun on her, she would take it away. The instructor replied that if it was so easy to take a gun away from someone, he would just take it right back :). Anyway, she tried and with a simunition gun, against the instructor , she got shot every time. Such is the difference between theoretical experience and practical experience.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:14 pm

HAHA.....man with a revolver getting slapped? It isn't just the gun in hand, but your opponent should see the devil in your eyes. :twisted: That is what makes the difference.I suspect the man with the revolver was what Vjha would call " Cheeku Aadmi" lol ROTFL ROTFL

Self defense is not an exact science.The decisions made at that moment are a direct consequence of our school of thought.Some might flee, some might empty, some might freeze.

XL...so you had a run in with gangstas? As i have always said, it is the control of adrenalin that makes all the difference.Good thinking.

On an unrelated note, i love monty python movies as well.

It is said even the best martial artists struggle to counter the " prison rush " with a knife.Forget a gun.

Raptor
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raptor » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:25 pm

errm... Gentlemen are we being funny?
"It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it."