What is your Fitness Regime

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: What is your Fitness Regime

Post by Sakobav » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:03 pm

Folks

Nice one I had in summer started learning swimming and it was one hour of intense training 2 times a week then either cycling or running on tread mill or outside 3 times a week. I need to get into weightlifting bit more and offcourse try to minimize junk food and no sugar for me..In winter I slowed down due to illness and pool being closed..Yes tried weight watchers and it helps.

Cheers

For Advertising mail webmaster
Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:53 pm

I have always feared cycling.You sit on your junk.

As for lean mass, it is quite slow in the coming.
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:06 am

I do have the weekend getaways book (published by Outlook group, got it with a subscription). But the timings on that are totally off (drive times given are approx half of reality).

And I did get started last Friday. Currently doing pushups (raised about 3 ft, due to bad wrist), pullups (that's a devil to do!), dips, squats, situps, with freehand warmups and stretches as prologue & epilogue, followed by James Bond shower (in the books, Bond takes a hot shower for 15 min, followed by cold for 2 minutes, and he takes them alone!!!). Using a program on my cellphone for reps & rest time. Alternate days upper & lower, Sunday rest. Going through the usual teething troubles........

The dog walking remains. Unfortunately, I can't run with my puppy near me - he thinks it's a chase game and runs in front and tries to stop me and lick my face! If you ever had a 50 kilo + Rottie jump in front of you while you are running, rear up on two legs, and try to lick your face happily............. it's funny, but can be dangerous if I trip over the puppy - both of us will be badly hurt!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:09 pm

Gentlemen,
What a fine, inspiring thread...
I am going to be 52 this april, I wouldnt like to bore you all on what I did in my younger days- briefly (equestrian,swimming, athletics-Javelin, Karate, Middle distance running, CRICKET etc etc) I think I have played almost every game with various degree of proficiency.
NOWADAYS-
I walk 5-6 kms four times a week, once a week I climb a small mountain with a 45 deg slope, till I reach the top. I do this primarily to give my dog Rambo, who is now 80 kgs in weight the minimum exercise necessary for him to keep him fit. In the process, he keeps me fit. :)

The walk and climb is through deserted semi forest and i may add, the greatest pleasure is when we reach the top, both of us sit down to catch our collective breath. I grin and stare at Rambo, who wiggles his tails, licks his chop in gleeful response. With the adrenaline rush surging through our bodies and with the very satisfied sense of accomplishment (having climbed a hill/mountain) we both gaze out at the panaromic view. Heck what BONDING. :D
Regards,
Rambo and Me.jpg
Rambo and Me.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ak27
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ak27 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:23 pm

@hvj1 Thanks to your mountaineering, Rambo has gotten bigger and stronger. Impressive growth for a two year old Boerboel. Enjoy every moment you spend in it's presence.

Like the famous saying goes - "If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough exercise!"

:cheers:
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - Ben Franklin

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:10 pm

ak27 wrote:
Like the famous saying goes - "If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough exercise!"
Very True!
:cheers:

Biren
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Biren » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:28 pm

Biren
hvj1 wrote:
ak27 wrote:
Thats a nice specimen... Hvj.. and who can agree more... with the famous saying... then me

Cheers
Biren :wink:

ribaalber
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ribaalber » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:15 am

If those injuries are due to lifting, either you are picking up more than you can/should and/or your form needs attention. I had a couple of weights related injuries and they are not fun. The damage sometimes can be lasting and may actually keep you off weights. Forgive for being preachy, but you need to approach it a bit more scientifically if you are to avoid injuries.
Thanks for the concern Vikramjee.
It was not so much weight because all the injuries happened at low weights. Maybe I lose concentration when I am lifting 60-70% less than my capacity. And maybe inadequate stretching on one. Last one was an accident. My spotter got distracted, when I thought he was there.

And I am doing this very very scientifically. But I am pushing hard because I am trying to gain strength
My main work out is 5X5 compound movements, so I don't increase weight (and that too by 5lbs) unless I can complete 5 sets of 5 reps without support.

And now I spent almost 30 minutes on warm up and stretching. 20 Suryamaskars as a stretching routine..

I will try to avoid as them as much as possible, but right now my motto is to get stronger and faster with every workout.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms .... disarm only
those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes....."
- Thomas Jefferson

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general.
~Mark Rippetoe

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:41 am

Thanks Biren, Ak47

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:49 am

HVJ, that's one cute puppy you got!!! In the first pic, he looks like a tiger! Except for the tongue, which pose only a dog can achieve. And I am sure your fitness regime is working if you can take a hug and smooch from an 80 kg puppy with your hands in your pockets!!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

sandy_3126
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sandy_3126 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:49 am

Quick update:
Relocated to colorado, and lost almost 5 weeks of gym time in the process, also being a forced bachelor now, haven't been very consistent with gym. started hitting the gym two weeks back, within another 2 weeks I should be back to good discipline.

I was looking at 100 push up challenge. the routine seems simple enough. My max pushup is to 65, I try to crank out 4 sets of pushups in the upper 40's once every week on the chest day. Would love to do a 100. I found a few interesting resources online
http://www.hundredpushups.com/#sthash.L5TUkA6B.dpbs

SO, Anyone up for Push up challenge, One straight set of 100. I think this will be a lot of fun, everyone should give this a try! If you do decide to take up the challenge, keep updating your progress

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:53 am

Wow! What a great thread.

I am delighted to have read so much about so many different fitness regimens; past efforts and...present pursuits...wonderful! :D

Amongst many other IFG-ian's, Briha-ji stands out as a beacon for us all! Many thanks to all of my friends at IFG for your sharing. Bravo :D

As for me - it is very mundane exercise that I get to perform...whenever I get a chance, I build up the muscles in my elbows by lifting large tankards of beer to my lips :lol:

The other 5 times a week - unintended exercise that I partake in, is walking a Big Box (very big) retail home improvement store, in steel-toed boots, frequently lifting rather huge, heavy and unweildy objects, moving / carrying large goods, to assist customers. With the result that, at 52 yrs, I have dropped, in one year, 15 kilos and 4 inches off my waist to 32!

The bad news is that I am having to work on a whole new wardrobe to fit the 'new me' ROTFL
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:12 am

ckkalyan wrote: Wow! What a great thread.
I am delighted to have read so much about so many different fitness regimens; past efforts and...present pursuits...wonderful! :D
The bad news is that I am having to work on a whole new wardrobe to fit the 'new me' ROTFL
CKK,
> The price you pay to alter your wardrobe is "Worth it's Weight in Gold" when you realize that 20 years down the line you'll be able to put a guy half your age to shame when it comes to fitness :lol:
Cheers!
Briha

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:45 pm

Over the last few years, especially after I quit smoking, I added some rather unnecessary weight. It wasnt out of control but I was feeling bloated and slow. Bad eating, bad sleeping and the eternal quest for better work performance was really messing up my workout performance.

I went back to Krav Maga. But suffered a serious elbow injury that made it difficult to get back to the classes.

So, I started running. Started slowly and built strength. Added chin ups on the horizontal bar, chest dips on the parallel bar, crunches, push-ups and dumb bell curls. I also resurrected my old Bullworker for resistance training. It took me about 90 days. But I am really happy with the result. I am glad that I didnt overdo the regimen but added strength slowly but steadily. I also sleep by 11.30 pm, wake up at 6am, eat less carbs.

In short....feeling awesome. Picture attached :)
Meditation 3.jpg
gr4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by slingshot on Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There is no downside to Freedom!

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi Basav,
> You have proved beyond any reasonable doubt that "If there's a will - There's a way" :D
> Guys - This is a 'wake-Up' call for all of us...
> Unreasonable working hours, improper diet & lack of adequate sleep can cause havoc to your bio-mechanism...
> Pull out those hidden dumb-bells, skipping rope, bull-worker or whatever & get into action...
> Way to go Basav :D
Briha