Offensive vs Defensive calibers

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
YogiBear
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Offensive vs Defensive calibers

Post by YogiBear » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:40 pm

In our house, nothing less than 38 caliber.

We also have a 357 and 40SW as "house guns", with lasers

For Advertising mail webmaster
dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:51 am

for the sake of argument we can discuss a caliber as offensive or defensive.but practically any caliber can be defensive and offensive isn't it?
regards
dr.jk

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:14 am

I think The Topic tries to hint at the stopping power of a caliber... A shot from a .25 (considering bad placement can offend someone) and one from a .38spl +p,.357 Mag, .45 can defend your life and drop down an assailant on his tracks.
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:35 am

captrakshitsharma wrote:I think The Topic tries to hint at the stopping power of a caliber... A shot from a .25 (considering bad placement can offend someone) and one from a .38spl +p,.357 Mag, .45 can defend your life and drop down an assailant on his tracks.
Not if it also involves bad placement. A well placed .25 beats poor placement with a .357, and miss with a .45. IMO this whole topic is silly. You could well argue that offensive use gives you the choice of place and time, allowing accurate placement of the shot, a .22 RF would be a good choice, drawing less attention.

A defensive situation, on the other hand, is likely to come as a surprise, allowing little time to aim. Hence the biggest possible caliber.

I'll therefore nominate a long barreled .22 RF as the ideal "offensive" caliber; and the .480 Ruger in a short-barreled Ruger Super Redhawk as the best "defensive" caliber.

A load of #12 shot from a .22 RF in the face may well be the most "offensive" of all.