What is this weapon used for?

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
bhupi
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

What is this weapon used for?

Post by bhupi » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:16 am

Hi Friends
I found this thing in my premises few days back, it was thrown from a hole in the side boundary wall. I used to tie my Dogs (a pair of GSD) with a guava tree in the day time, right there where i found this.

Its sharpened steel bars are tied and welded firmly, multiple edges (recently sharpened) at one end as shown in the picture and a single sharp edge on the other side which is inside the 7.5 feet long thick bamboo stick (thick and heavy lathi) and tied with a cloth. What the hell it could be, should we report the matter to the local police or take the thing lightly as my family is taking.

Thanks
Bhupi

For Advertising mail webmaster
AnandNair
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: What is this weapon used for?

Post by AnandNair » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:39 am

Multi prong spear - best for spear fishing. but that many prongs not required as shown in the pic. so no guess..
Some learn by reading. A few by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence.

YogiBear
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by YogiBear » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:57 am

Aloha,

Since you tie your dogs there all the time and you found the spear by the dogs,

I would think that someone is trying to kill your dogs.

Make sure your dogs are good neighbors and not BARKING all the time when you are not home.

Nothing like Disturbing the Peace and tranquility of the neighborhood like 2 Big Dogs BARKING a Lot.

You might ask around the area if your dogs BARK too much.

Our laws are 10 minutes constant within a 30 minute period is too much.

The fishing spear is the intent to harm your dogs, then I would let them run free as long as they Can NOT escape the property.

A moving target is harder to hit.
Last edited by YogiBear on Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:50 am

This is certainly a weapon I would use to keep dogs far away from me - whether or not I wanted to kill them. There may be a man or gang of burglars who are willing to invest in what it takes to get in.

Watch out. I would take a photograph of the weapon so its size can be seen and then report to police. The photo is proof that the weapon existed in case it later "disappears" after you report to the police. Paranoia and caution are the name of the game. Why is there a hole in the wall?

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:38 pm

Yes looks like somebody is trying to create serious problems or is at least seriously angry. Take care that these type of persons do not poison your dogs or do something more serious.

The instrument looks like an agricultural implement usually called tangli or something similar in north India. It is used to pick up bundles of hay, cattle feed etc. It can also be used as a spear like weapon.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

deep27
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by deep27 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:39 pm

goodboy_mentor wrote:Yes looks like somebody is trying to create serious problems or is at least seriously angry. Take care that these type of persons do not poison your dogs or do something more serious.

The instrument looks like an agricultural implement usually called tangli or something similar in north India. It is used to pick up bundles of hay, cattle feed etc. It can also be used as a spear like weapon.
:agree: sir it is like "Tangli" used in agriculture in north India.

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:14 pm

It is used for spearing fish. It is either aimed and launched in clear water or used to poke at random in murky water. It is mainly used to get EELS.

Jemmy_09
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Jemmy_09 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:03 pm

Nice post!

appucmu
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by appucmu » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:40 pm

It is used for killing snake.

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:56 pm

fishing.
regards
dr.jk

harshit89
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshit89 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:45 am

bhupi wrote:Hi Friends
I found this thing in my premises few days back, it was thrown from a hole in the side boundary wall. I used to tie my Dogs (a pair of GSD) with a guava tree in the day time, right there where i found this.

[ Image ]

Its sharpened steel bars are tied and welded firmly, multiple edges (recently sharpened) at one end as shown in the picture and a single sharp edge on the other side which is inside the 7.5 feet long thick bamboo stick (thick and heavy lathi) and tied with a cloth. What the hell it could be, should we report the matter to the local police or take the thing lightly as my family is taking.

Thanks
Bhupi
This seems to be a sharp pointed tool.
Not able to guess, what it exactly is.
Keep knives in your pocket and pray that you will never need it

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:22 am

Bhupi,

As mentioned that is a fish spear of a style used by traditional people all over the world. Here is a similar spear in Peru:

Some years back I made a primitive drawing showing how I was taught to make these spears back when I was younger:

Anyway, how it ended up in your yard I have no idea but since neither of your dogs was actually punctured I would hazard a guess the spear was simply tossed over the fence to be gotten rid of for whatever reason. Is there a fish shop nearby? If so might ask the owner if he might know the owner of the spear on the chance it was swiped by some delinquents then tossed just to be pranksters.

Regards,

Mark
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947