Handgun caliber debate

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
chandrashekhar
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Handgun caliber debate

Post by chandrashekhar » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:47 pm

For Advertising mail webmaster
russianshooter3
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Handgun caliber debate

Post by russianshooter3 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:32 pm

what debate in India? allowed 22 32 and other many rare caliber
other cartridge not allowed

have small peace normal gun in 45 acp and 7,62 TT for price 10000-20000 USD

Jr.
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Jr. » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:10 am

Very interesting and informative video.
Muzzle Velocity and Energy are more important than Grain/Mass in a Hand Gun Cartridge.
The 'Temporary Wound Cavity' is very well explained.
Where one hits (Accuracy) is more important than how much (Grain) one hits with.
Accuracy is the main factor governing Stopping Power.
The video ends very well with emphasis on Reliability of a Cartridge/Hand Gun.
In a self defence situation, choice between different Revolvers/Pistols available would largely depend on what a person is comfortable with.
In India this is limited due to the import restrictions and the cost of Firearms.
An average Indian Licence holder also does not get enough practice (largely due to restriction on ammunition quota and the price of ammunition).
All being said, I believe a .45ACP Cartridge will definitely cause more damage than .22 Cartridge.
(Assuming both are being fired from a Pistol).

Regards,
Jr.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:01 pm

The hydrostatic effects of firearm projectiles have long been of special interest to me. In my career I’ve seen GSW in humans ranging from air rifle to 12 bore katta to service rifle and handgun calibers.
Indubitably man is a thin skinned animal. That’s why the ‘ 2 to centre mass and one to head ‘ protocol holds so good and is practiced extensively by handgun users in offensive and defensive modes.
Having said that, I’ve seen some unexpected results. A .32 acp injury from 7-8 feet, hits elbow, bounces off bone , enters abdomen, nicking the kidney. One dead person.
IOF ammo off a Walther PPK.

7-8 GSW on trunk and limbs- 7.62x39. Injured soldier goes on to win PVC- Kargil.

Given the constraints of ammo and handguns in India, the video is very informative.
What it doesn’t address is the effect of adrenaline.

I have seen my friend shoot a running fallow deer of about 50 kg, with a 7mm Rem Mag. 160gr Hornady at 2600 FPS. A going away, rump shot at 40-50m . I saw the bullet exit the chest and strike the ground with a puff of dust ahead of the animal. It only accelerated, ran into a clump of blackberry about 50-60 m away and lay down there. Still alive. On skinning, the chest cavity was mush. Someone forgot to tell the deer that.
I believe that adrenaline is the final denominator.
Once adrenaline is pumping, all the hydrostatic equations become just that. Equations.
Another prime example is Field Marshal Manekshaw, took half a dozen 7.7mm Bullets from a Japanese MMG in Burma sector during WW2 and survived.
The only ‘Main Switch shot’ in a human is described as being in the JAW. If the bullet penetrates to the cerebellum at the base the brain, it’s lights off. Also taught and practiced by law enforcement. Supposed to stop even the reflex action of athe thumb/ finger on the button of a suicide vest. Because it shatters all the movement, breathing, heart command and control of the body. Even faster and more effective than a frontal brain shot, which may trigger a spasm of reflexive response.
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."