12 ga. Cartridges For Self Defence

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
Ace_doc
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: 12 ga. Cartridges For Self Defence

Post by Ace_doc » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:46 pm

i meant over penetration as in the " tissue" ie living tissue context. :twisted:

For Advertising mail webmaster
amk
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by amk » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:42 pm

I too feel if one uses slugs the main advantage of multiple projectiles and minimal aiming is lost. So in the multiple projectile Indian law category BBB or BB is the best bet?
AMK
--------------------------------------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin
--------------------------------------

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by msandhu » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:37 pm

Agree with penpusher with over penetration. In US where most of inside walls are dry wall, this is an issue but in India, almost all the walls (inside , outside ) are brick walls and i don't think any shots will pass through them
Cheers
Mandeep

-- Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:11 --
Ace_doc wrote:i meant over penetration as in the " tissue" ie living tissue context. :twisted:
Hi doc,
I am no expert on it but i can understand over penetration of tissues in case of bullets ( like 9mm will over penetrate due to smaller and faster bullet while .45ACP will not as it is bigger and slower bullet ) but how will this be an issue with non-expanding shots pallets ? Why does it matter if the shot pallets go through the body or stays inside ?

Cheers
Mandeep

Ace_doc
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ace_doc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:36 am

hi mandeep ! evevn when fired at close shot ranges ( in forensic lingo ) bird shot rarely over penetrates.the issue is whether the "slug" may over penetrate the person it is shot at. rest penetration of a bullet into the target depends as u rightly said on the speed,shape and contruction of said projectile.if a slug is going to go through a plaster wall it may go through softer human tissue also. the only definitive test would be to test fire it either on ballastic gelatin or a cut of meat.penetration in dry non timber wood is around 3.5 inches. may be we should adopt eljefes wet directory test ? any ideas people.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:25 am

Whenever there is a discussion about over penetration on the net the main issue is the projectile punching through a wall and hitting a person in the next room or the neighbour next door in a crowded urban setting.In the Indian context,it is meaningless unless you are talking of a door to the next room behind the BG.In India we should be more concerned about ricochets.

A 12 ga slug does not need to expand.It makes a big hole as it is,so over penetration and therefore the projectile not dumping all it's energy in the target, should be meaningless.Also keep in mind that an exit wound would mean two holes in the BG.The second probably bigger than the first.

Ace_doc
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ace_doc » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:23 pm

ya thanks for the correct perspective. i was all along thinking only bout the guy not the surroundings. well, the part bout the ballistic test still stands . would be nice to get some reviews.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:44 pm

Ace_doc wrote:ya thanks for the correct perspective. i was all along thinking only bout the guy not the surroundings. well, the part bout the ballistic test still stands . would be nice to get some reviews.
Just 'googled' a bit and came up with this rather interesting post on someone's blog:

http://www.shadonet.com/2008/01/choosin ... e-defense/

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

boatme99
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Re: Cartridges For Self Defence

Post by boatme99 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:12 am

browning wrote:
browning";p="42457 wrote:Which cartridges are best for self defence?
What i meant by my queation was that if i need to shoot a robber to protect myself or my household, which is the best cartridge to shoot that would not kill the guy but get him on the ground nice and proper, Ballshot, 7no......?

And Jonah, if u dont want to answer properly or think its a silly question dont waste urs as well as my time, stay away.

Thanks.
Why would shoot someone if you didn't mean kill them? If you don't want to kill them, a bat, stick, or rock would do the job.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

Timnorris
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Timnorris » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:06 am

One does not always shoot to kill.........................I dont think it is a good idea using baseball bat or any other household object against any intruder................

boatme99
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by boatme99 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:23 am

Timnorris wrote:One does not always shoot to kill.........................I dont think it is a good idea using baseball bat or any other household object against any intruder................
If you aren't going to shoot to kill, you should probably rethink your entire idea of using firearms for self defense. A gun is made for one purpose only. If a person isn"t comforatable or willing to use it for that purpose, they should pack it away. A taser would be a better option. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just my opinion.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:23 pm

Unfortunately, no gun will "put a bad guy down", but not kill him. The only way you can accomplish that would be by destroying a knee or shattering his thigh bone. That would put him on the ground, but he could still shoot back. And later sue you or your estate. A "stun bag" projectile, basically a kevlar fabric bag filled with lead dust, would probably put him down for a while without killing him. But that kind of ammo is not available to civilians. I'm afraid, if you are going to use a gun for self defense, and can't convince the guy that you do mean it, you have to be prepared to kill. Without that mind set, having a gun is pointless. Unless the bad guy is an amateur on his first attempt, being shown a gun will not deter him. He'll just take it from you. Cheers.

msandhu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by msandhu » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:22 pm

If someone is thinking of non-lethal way of stopping intruders or for self defense, then they should look at pepper spray, stun guns , teasers etc.
If you intend to use a gun but not kill, then rubber bullets can be used but none of the above methods will guarantee that the intruded will be incapacitated enough not to hurt you
Cheers
MSandhu

Rottmeister
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Rottmeister » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:31 am

The best way is to develop some halitosis. :twisted:
The clash of honor calls -
To stand, when others fall.