Best For Defense--Revolvers Or Auto Pistols?

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Best For Defense--Revolvers Or Auto Pistols?

Post by timmy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:58 am

True, but I don't think it should even be a debate. One size does not fit all in this case. Everyone has a specific need, and everyone (well, almost everyone) has limitations on what is available and affordable. What can be done is to point out what one knows and what works for one's self. Then the reader must assess the information and decide the best course of action in their own case.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

For Advertising mail webmaster
shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:24 am

timmy its always a pleasure to read your posts.

:agree: 100% with you.

I would prefer to use my shotgun than any handgun just because i am more confident and posess reasonable skill with it (i hope).

One must use what one is comfortable and confident with.

Also people with anti semi-auto thoughts please note that many police forces who face self defence situations in day to day life use pistols as standard issue.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

hks2056
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hks2056 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:17 am

Shoulder fired weapons are best for self defense. In India if one has only 12 gauge then it is best used with slugs or spherical ball. It will stop any BG in the tracks instantaneously. If one has 30-06 then any soft nosed cartridge would do the job as they cause maximum immediate trauma. Revolvers and pistols are good only if one can aim for upper torso region between the breast nipples and above.

ankur1011111
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ankur1011111 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:31 am

Double action pistol is far better than revolver..

Revolvers are revolvers but in a long combat surely man with revolver will get defeated..

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:57 am

Shoulder fired weapons are best for self defense.
I find this statement factually incorrect. Nowhere on wikipedia does it say this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-defense

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

jattana
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by jattana » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:47 pm

Best think for self defense is good ammo with pistol or revolver which ever makes you feel confident.

-- Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:02 pm --

Guys read this its quite informative

http://world.guns.ru/handguns-e.html
"The right to buy weapons is the right to be free."

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:38 pm

what I thought is that to say for sure, what is better, we may need to look at some statistical data, probably such data even does not exist. But for example there a lot of data, on police officers, who been killed in gun fights. In many cases those who been killed did have a chance to fire their guns. So, in such case it is irrelevant what kind of gun they been caring, revolver or pistol.

Defense mean survival, to survive in gun fight, most important imo do not get into situation in which you can be definitely killed. For example shots in adjacent room, you opened door and show up in the door way ... or same, shots on the street, you opened windows to take a look what is going on outside. There is number of never do rules, knowing it and following it, may be imperative for survival. IF you get under fire, another important question, what to do? If you already gone through such scenarios and prepared to act, in most optimal way, your survival chances much greater, because your mental process shorter: recognize pattern and act accordingly. For those who may interested I would recommend to read a book Street Survival - tactics for armed encounters, by special agent Ronald J. Adams. This book contains a lot of real life examples.

Another thing is, that we may actually do not realizing in what degree our vision and expectations regarding shooting incidents formed by movies. Any times Americans going to war, starting from Vietnam, each time they are complaining about their weapons, - we cant kill any body, this round can only wound. well 20000-30000 rounds been fired in Vietnam for 1 kill, compare to 1.3-1.6 shots by sniper. Recently US army pilots decides to change from 9mm Beretta to .45, such change will cost 80mil usd to US taxpayers. Movies forming a lot of unrealistic expectation on what can be achieved. According to movies best defense may be to run in the middles with guns in both hands and shot in all directions.

Still, it is possible accurately shot with gun in each hand, but for that you have to lock thumbs and keep you hands close together. One gun can be revolver another pistol.
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

rraju2805
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by rraju2805 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:25 pm

captrakshitsharma wrote:This debate can never end
:agree:
YOU CAN FOOL SOME OF THE PEOPLE SOMETIME
BUT YOU CAN"T FOOL ALL OF THE PEOPLE ALL TIME

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:10 pm

shooter wrote:
I find this statement factually incorrect. Nowhere on wikipedia does it say this.

On Wikipedia it can say anything. Does not have to be factual or true. Though it may be.
Anything about self-defense is opinion and generalities, since situations are never exactly the same, nor are the players. Too many variables.

hks2056
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hks2056 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:52 am

Here is complete answer to self defense weapons for those with patience to read the entire article
http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ball ... nding.html

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:09 pm

HKS 2056
Aha, the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel?

I also remember:
"Everything on the internet is not the truth"
Abraham Lincoln

" Never trust a woman who wears black satin underwear"
My grandfather

Any luck on the fibreglass wallah ? :mrgreen:
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Subal das
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Subal das » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:28 pm

eljefe wrote:HKS 2056
Aha, the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel?

I also remember:
"Everything on the internet is not the truth"
Abraham Lincoln

" Never trust a woman who wears black satin underwear"
My grandfather

Any luck on the fibreglass wallah ? :mrgreen:
nice ROTFL

but why fiberglass wallah, forgive my ignorance

AjYCAOP/4kvYI8QXnGdsb2JhbACeChUBAQEBAQgLCAkRIrxZgmCCMwSDQQ
"Loose lips sink ships"
"Curiosity kill the cat"

tigerleefang
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by tigerleefang » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:02 am

Revolvers!
Thanks
tiger Lee

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:22 am

TwoRivers wrote:
shooter wrote:

On Wikipedia it can say anything. Does not have to be factual or true. Though it may be.
Anything about self-defense is opinion and generalities, since situations are never exactly the same, nor are the players. Too many variables.
two rivers you have PM

-- 16 Jul 2011, 19:56 --
hks2056 wrote:Here is complete answer to self defense weapons for those with patience to read the entire article
http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ball ... nding.html
So where does it say that shoulder weapons are "best" for self defence?

This is an article on terminal ballistics. Doesnt say what you claim.

So unless you can provide a reference, i will still maintain that your statement is factually incorrect.

hks2056
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by hks2056 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:26 am

Dear shooter
please read the following link

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs7.htm

Note; In a self defense situation the key to survival is immediate incapacitation of the BG. In this well documented episode you can read what havoc the BG were able to wreak on police despite being fatally shot by 9 MM bullets. Read the enactment of the scene as per police records. It will be very interesting for all those votaries of handguns ( as first choice as defense weapon ) to read to find out what Platt and Matix did to police despite taking body hits from police handguns. After you have gone through the above link then you will be able to comprehend fully the ratio-decidendi of earlier link given by me and it should be an eye opener for one and all. I have no quarrel or any argument with those who place less importance on their own survival in a self defense situation by choosing to defend themselves by a hand gun in preference to a shoulder fired weapon.