Home defence! What a joke.

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Home defence! What a joke.

Post by MoA » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:22 am

kanwar76 wrote:
MoA wrote: They have even banned toothpciks from restaurants because:

1. You can hurt your self with one
2. It can be a weapon.
:roll:

MoA, You are joking right? :shock:

An i thougt i've seen it all :roll:

-Inder
Not at all. Go to a restaurant and ask for one... cant even get one with your olives.
Even better, check into a hotel, and ask for paracetemol because you have a headache... watch the fun. Might be easier to score heroin.

For Advertising mail webmaster
goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:06 pm

Ordinary people should be scared and vunerable, so that they rely totally on the anonymous parent replacement 'State'. Defending oneself smacks of grit, self-reliance and individualism; not traits the NWO wishes to encourage.
The answer given as per RTI Act 2005 by Licensing Authourity of New Delhi for question 1(i) confirms the same. As per their interpretation of Section 13.3(b) of Arms Act, "Self Defense" is not a good reason for an Arms License, it has be backed by a "need, justification, threat perception etc.". In other words they are saying nobody can become a victim of violent crime in their jurisdiction unless he/she receives a threat. Therefore it means all the victims of violent crime in their jurisdiction had previous threats but the police failed in protecting them. Then what good is the police?
Reference: http://cic.gov.in/CIC-Orders/WB-05032009-01.pdf
Surprisingly as per http://cic.gov.in/CIC-Orders/SG-18032009-33.pdf the the Licensing Authourity does not maintain records of All India validity done for Licenses.

ravi.sharma
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by ravi.sharma » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:24 pm

I have come across this argument many times. The police is there to protect you, what are you worried off. No need for a liecence. Just keep a cell phone handy and call the police, when some is their to murder you :evil:

Mine reply has been from the fantastic essay put up by Vikram "Right to Protection http://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7486. Even if we assume that the police is there for our protection one question that the police/politicians needs to ask themselves, Is the police Logistically in a position to cater the huge population of the country :?:

The essays provides the link where in 3000 odd post are vacant for Beat Constable. In a survey carried out for 50 countries, India is ranking at 48th place (marvellous achievement) in per police capita for people. These are not some fabricated facts, these are actual figures. Inspite of this we cant have the liberty to protect ourselves and our loved ones.

:cheers:
Ravi.
Believing Everybody is Dangerous; Believing Nobody is Very Dangerous..........

lionheartguru
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by lionheartguru » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:12 pm

:agree:

infact some day ago , after 13/02 bomb blast in Pune , the police commissioner himself agreed that there are lesser cops then actually required ( as per UN and our population as well ) . This was the statement given by CP Satyapal Singh to Pune Mirror .. ( i dont remember the date , but a few days ago )
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:20 am

shooter wrote:Furthur to the post where a man was jailed for beating a burgler heres the latest:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jan/1 ... -intruders
<SNIP>

Can you believe it!!!

Better still can you beat that?
That one isn't that hard to top, sadly enough!

Google "Paul Clarke of Reigate"

http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/news ... ticle.html

A former soldier who handed a discarded shotgun in to police faces at least five years imprisonment for "doing his duty".

Paul Clarke, 27, was found guilty of possessing a firearm at Guildford Crown Court on Tuesday – after finding the gun and handing it personally to police officers on March 20 this year.

The jury took 20 minutes to make its conviction, and Mr Clarke now faces a minimum of five year's imprisonment for handing in the weapon.

In a statement read out in court, Mr Clarke said: "I didn't think for one moment I would be arrested.

"I thought it was my duty to hand it in and get it off the streets."

The court heard how Mr Clarke was on the balcony of his home in Nailsworth Crescent, Merstham, when he spotted a black bin liner at the bottom of his garden.

In his statement, he said: "I took it indoors and inside found a shorn-off shotgun and two cartridges.

"I didn't know what to do, so the next morning I rang the Chief Superintendent, Adrian Harper, and asked if I could pop in and see him.

"At the police station, I took the gun out of the bag and placed it on the table so it was pointing towards the wall."

Mr Clarke was then arrested immediately for possession of a firearm at Reigate police station, and taken to the cells.

Defending, Lionel Blackman told the jury Mr Clarke's garden backs onto a public green field, and his garden wall is significantly lower than his neighbours.

He also showed jurors a leaflet printed by Surrey Police explaining to citizens what they can do at a police station, which included "reporting found firearms".

Quizzing officer Garnett, who arrested Mr Clarke, he asked: "Are you aware of any notice issued by Surrey Police, or any publicity given to, telling citizens that if they find a firearm the only thing they should do is not touch it, report it by telephone, and not take it into a police station?"

To which, Mr Garnett replied: "No, I don't believe so."

Prosecuting, Brian Stalk, explained to the jury that possession of a firearm was a "strict liability" charge – therefore Mr Clarke's allegedly honest intent was irrelevant.

Just by having the gun in his possession he was guilty of the charge, and has no defence in law against it, he added.

But despite this, Mr Blackman urged members of the jury to consider how they would respond if they found a gun.

He said: "This is a very small case with a very big principle.

"You could be walking to a railway station on the way to work and find a firearm in a bin in the park.

"Is it unreasonable to take it to the police station?"

Paul Clarke will be sentenced on December 11.

Judge Christopher Critchlow said: "This is an unusual case, but in law there is no dispute that Mr Clarke has no defence to this charge.

"The intention of anybody possessing a firearm is irrelevant."

FOLLOW UP- After all this hit the internet he was given a suspended sentence of 1 year, but he was still convicted.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:34 pm

now he will have difficulty in

getting a job
getting a firearms license
loan
mortgage
etc etc
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

Anand
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Anand » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:43 pm

"Prosecuting, Brian Stalk, explained to the jury that possession of a firearm was a "strict liability" charge – therefore Mr Clarke's allegedly honest intent was irrelevant."

Any intention to do the "right thing" will go down the drain if the enforcers penalize the citizen for an act committed innocently in good faith. There must be a provable motive that shows some mischief has taken place. This is one of the situations where the personal bias of the enforcer and how "strict" the law is" comes to the fore. Rules and laws exist for a reason. If the intent of the Law itself is biased it is time for a change. A lot of times, they try and make an example out of a suspect to create more fear in others.

Any Government that thinks its subjects are a threat to it will do just this kind of stuff! It will try and make them as dependent as possible on it for as many things as possible, especially peace and security!
Unfortunately, this is just the kind of thing that will see many innocent and well meaning people get hurt or worse! :shock:

Regards,
Anand

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:34 pm

Absolute pile of BS
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:00 pm

No good deed goes unpunished-so goes the adage. :roll:

But, in this case, the ex-soldier should have handed the gun over immediately or called the police the moment he discovered the shotgun.Still glad that he got away with a suspended sentence.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:44 pm

I have a creepy feeling UK cops are now tutored at the NPA.
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:25 am

this sort of things, i have noticed going on for sometime, this kind of attitude of the government leads one to turn a blind eye to everything, what i mean is this, if you want to do good, then beware you can be put in jail! if you do what is right by common sence is wrong in the eyes of the law.

if you stop and help an injured person, and your good intent goes wrong you can be sued. so who wants to do good if you end up in jail? :twisted:
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:14 am

sometimes its better to leave the gun on the other side of the fence....?