RSA - Son's first game - Duiker

Here you can post images from your favorite events, places, yourself or your family to share with other site members.
kragiesardar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

RSA - Son's first game - Duiker

Post by kragiesardar » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:04 am

A very different hunt, it was my elder sons turn, on the menu, the prolific Duiker. A very dainty animal, you see plenty at night on the side of the roads at night. They disappear in sight by just lying down in the grass.

We could see the animal but my son could not because of the venue, very interesting venue, what used to be the garden of an abandoned bungalow, had pecan trees, also a couple of mango and guava trees, more importantly the meadow he was hunting had chest deep grass, like the sarganda in Punjab.

Finally they see the Duiker, but it ducks into the grass, a full hour later they see it again at 20 paces, they quickly aim but it is so close he cannot get a good picture through the scope, finally he finds it, just as it squeezes the trigger it moves and he hits it in the rear thighs:

The Duiker immediately ran and disappeared into a lantana bush, we followed the blood trail, Clayton crawled in after it, saw it duck out the opposite side and run:

Like most animals that we shot there it turned to look back at it, another shot and it was down:

Congratulations and handshakes all around:

Now it was time to get the Duiker for the pictures:

My son was very torn emotionally as I had told them they have to be sure before the shoot, killing an animal is a great responsibility and to do it humanely and safely is a trait that only good hunters have.
Had to explain to him that he had done everything right, the animal had moved as he squeezed the trigger, it happens and wasn’t his fault. Clayton also pitched him, telling him that it was good we had spent time finding the animal and humanely harvesting it as if it had run into the dust, it would have caked its wound and stopped the blood trail and then the animal would have sat down in the grass and become invisible, by finding it and finishing it we had made sure it did not suffer and die.

Hunting and taking a life is a great responsibility, believe the lesson was learnt, on the next hunt he refused to shoot till he was very, very sure.

Sako Finbear 22 – 250, PMC ammo. Next one will be posted tomorrow.

For Advertising mail webmaster
dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: RSA - Son's first game - Duiker

Post by dr.jayakumar » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:25 am

nice to see!your son is learning faster i believe.

sudesh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sudesh » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:48 am

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
On his first hunt.

S..........
लोड करके राईफल, जब जीप पे सवार होते...
बाऩध साफा जब गबरू तयार होते.....
देखती है दुनिया छत पर चढके.....
और कहते
"काश हम भी जाट होते"......
"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is two wolves attempting to have a sheep for dinner and finding a well-informed, well-armed sheep."

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:56 pm

Congratulations to him.
A rite of passage!
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:18 pm

Good show from the little boy. The name Duiker is derived from the Afrikaans word "Diver". The moment they spot danger they dive into a bush / thick undergrowth and stay very still. They have short forelegs and once inside a bush, are very difficult to spot.
Your son did well to get the animal. Like a true hunter he followed up the injured animal and finished him. Not an easy thing to do with an animal the size of a Duiker in such a (thick) jungle.
I shot a steenbok, which looks a lot like the Duiker but is a little smaller in size. The meat was tender and soft.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:01 pm

New shooter in the making! :cheers:
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:34 pm

Here is something funny. I used to pronounce Duiker as Due-ker. I suppose most Indians would pronounce it that way.
The actual pronounciation is Die-ker (remember diver) , which I was told by my PH after I landed on S.A. soil.

Another interesting thing to be noted here is that the animal was shot in broad day light.
Sun Down . Gun Down.
Many people would have no issues in getting a Duiker at night when it is easier to spot with a flood light. Like kraigsardar has rightly said they can be seen in plenty by the side of the road. Yet , the young hunter went for the animal in the day.
Like the old timers used to say. Hunting at night is no fun. It's like watching a movie in Black and White when you can as well see it in Colour during the day.
Secondly , what chance of escape would a poor animal have, blinded by a floodlight.
Not Sporting for a "trophy" hunter.

HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:09 pm

Congrats again, those duikers are tiny. Saw a few mounts at the Cabelas here. But impressive nonetheless.

kragiesardar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by kragiesardar » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:32 pm

Just got news that it will be also a trophy and will make SCI and Rowland and Ward. My elder son is tickled pink!

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:32 pm

Congratulations to the three of you.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:41 pm

Just got news that it will be also a trophy and will make SCI and Rowland and Ward.
I am not surprised. Though no PH, i can still see that the horns are huge.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.