More photos of my hunts over the years

Here you can post images from your favorite events, places, yourself or your family to share with other site members.
Martin Clarke
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

More photos of my hunts over the years

Post by Martin Clarke » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:56 pm

Hi Folks,
Just some more photos of my hunts over the years with friends.
Happy viewing.
Regards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: More photos of my hunts over the years

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:17 pm

Hi martin good pics and nice shooting but only thing is all these pigs are feral ( once Domestic pigs) and the Jackals are mostly not Vermin rather they live on small rats, Frogs and like creatures.
My Family do have some farm lands in forest area and I See the Wild Boars and Jackals a lot. Wild boar is mostly harmful for Vegetables farming and not for crops like paddy etc. wild boars and Jackals can easily controlled with a catapult, I never required a rifle for this.
If it is for a hunting then its ok but Atleast I feel that feral pigs and Jackals are not that harmful.
killing vermin is also permitted in some parts of India with some procedure to be followed. I too have write application to the Mukhiya and Panchayat for Jack Rabbits etc but what i see that usually we need to give them a fear factor like the muzzle blast or crackers to drive them off. killing is rarely required.
any way its my personal opinion. situations are always differ place to place. best of luck for your hunts.

regards
Regards

Shivaji

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:50 am

Good photos Martin,
What bolt rifle did you use on the fox and pigs?
It looks like a Ruger M-77 but I can't tell for sure.
Where in the US are you located?

C'mon guys.
Different countries have different conventions that are considered acceptable.
Don't look at the world through your Indian lens. Keep an open mind.
If you don't approve of hunting, bypass the post.
Your personal feelings are immaterial.

Wild/Feral pigs will ruin large swathes of cultivated crops in short order. In most state in the USA they are classified as vermin.
They cause millions of dollars worth of damage to crops every year.
...and the Jackals are mostly not Vermin rather they live on small rats, Frogs and like creatures.
and pets. There have been reported instances of them attacking people too.

As far as Jackals go; in my state they are classified as Vermin and can be shot on sight; day or night and with any caliber firearm.
There is no season and no bag limit on them
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Shivaji.Dasgupta
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Shivaji.Dasgupta » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:08 am

XL target I agree on your point and that's why I have written that Situations Differ from Place to Place. In India also we get vermin control Permission provided they entered in your Farm area. The process is lengthy but is not impossible. but again that is a vermin/pest control. In this case too it is a good vermin shooting.
I spent a good time with some old day Hunters and whenever I do some vermin control with permission I call it as vermin or Pest control. :D :D :D

Sorry If I heart anyone through my posts..

Regards
Regards

Shivaji

Martin Clarke
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Martin Clarke » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:08 am

Shivaji.Dasgupta wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:17 pm
Hi martin good pics and nice shooting but only thing is all these pigs are feral ( once Domestic pigs) and the Jackals are mostly not Vermin rather they live on small rats, Frogs and like creatures.
My Family do have some farm lands in forest area and I See the Wild Boars and Jackals a lot. Wild boar is mostly harmful for Vegetables farming and not for crops like paddy etc. wild boars and Jackals can easily controlled with a catapult, I never required a rifle for this.
If it is for a hunting then its ok but Atleast I feel that feral pigs and Jackals are not that harmful.
killing vermin is also permitted in some parts of India with some procedure to be followed. I too have write application to the Mukhiya and Panchayat for Jack Rabbits etc but what i see that usually we need to give them a fear factor like the muzzle blast or crackers to drive them off. killing is rarely required.
any way its my personal opinion. situations are always differ place to place. best of luck for your hunts.

regards
Hi Shivaji, All feral pigs in Australia are from domestic stock, who either escaped from pens, or were deliberately set free in to the bush. They are as destructive, mean and even bigger than the average wild boar. There are no predators to keep them in check in most of the Australian States, except for Northern Queensland & Northern territories. Their main predator in these States are the Salt Water Crocodile, but they have little impact on the population. Sometimes, dingoes will prey on the piglets, but have little or no luck with mature pigs.
Just a correction - there are no Jackals in Australia (except in the zoos). My photographs are of foxes, who are the single highest contributors to decline of Native Australian animals in the bush. They also present a big problem to live-stock farmers, and are known to kill young lambs, when they are new born and cannot move, and even a few days old. There have also been instances of wild pigs killing calves, while they are being born, as the cows cannot move during the birthing process. Both these species are destructive, and they provide the opportunity for hunters to sit up or stalk and shoot them.
Regards...Martin Clarke

Martin Clarke
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Martin Clarke » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:16 am

xl_target wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:50 am
Good photos Martin,
What bolt rifle did you use on the fox and pigs?
It looks like a Ruger M-77 but I can't tell for sure.
Where in the US are you located?

C'mon guys.
Different countries have different conventions that are considered acceptable.
Don't look at the world through your Indian lens. Keep an open mind.
If you don't approve of hunting, bypass the post.
Your personal feelings are immaterial.

Wild/Feral pigs will ruin large swathes of cultivated crops in short order. In most state in the USA they are classified as vermin.
They cause millions of dollars worth of damage to crops every year.
...and the Jackals are mostly not Vermin rather they live on small rats, Frogs and like creatures.
and pets. There have been reported instances of them attacking people too.

As far as Jackals go; in my state they are classified as Vermin and can be shot on sight; day or night and with any caliber firearm.
There is no season and no bag limit on them
Hi xl_target, Pictured in the photographs - Kimber 8400 - .270 Win. It is my favourite rifle, as it will take down most of the ferals here. I use it on foxes when the pig shooting is done. Many times we pass up on the foxes, so we don't disturb the pigs, only to curse later when there are no pigs found.
I am in Perth, Western Australia.
Regards....Martin Clarke

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:39 pm

That Kimber sure is a looker. Nice lines.

What kind of ammo do you use on the hogs?
Do you load your own?

Oz, Eh?
Here I am accusing Shivaji about looking at things through an Indian lens and then I do the same thing with an American lens.
Duh, target, they do hunt in other places in this world, you know. :)
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Martin Clarke
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Martin Clarke » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:11 pm

Hi xl_target,
I was impressed with the Kimber when I first saw it at the gun dealer; yes, it has very good lines, and a good piece of wood!
It has never let me down in the field, feeds and extracts very well, and when I am up to it, can place 5 shots in 1 inch circle at 100M.
If I do miss, I know I have done something wrong. I don't need more accuracy for the game I shoot.
I load my own ammo for the 223, 270, 375 & 44mag. Surprisingly, I use just one powder for the 223, 270 & 375 - ADI Benchmark 8208, a very clean burning propellant. For the 270 I started on 150Gr BTip, but now only use 130Gr Hornady SSTs, or Nosler ETips. Found they are very accurate, and do the job. Only use Federal primers - very consistent irrespective of batch.
Cheers...…..Martin

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:07 pm

I've never tried the SST's.
I have a rifle in .280 Remington that I came up with a load for in 1984 and I've never really changed it since then.
I use the Hornady 139 gr interlock BTSP. I know its old school but it works well on Whitetail.
One of these days, I'll have to try some of the newer bullets.