Pics .22 LR Webley & Scott

Here you can post images from your favorite events, places, yourself or your family to share with other site members.
Sunil Mapadath
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Pics .22 LR Webley & Scott

Post by Sunil Mapadath » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:41 pm

Hi

Finally here are the pics of my weapon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Pics .22 LR Webley & Scott

Post by Sakobav » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:59 am

Sunil

Congrats looks nice never knew webley had rifles. Do post some background information on this gun i.e. its acquisition history etc
cheers

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:50 am

Sunil Mapadath ,

Some close ups of proof marks and the "original " Webley & Scott stamping would be nice .

best,
Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:11 am

Sunil,

A very nice and clean looking rifle.Do you shoot it regularly? How does it shoot?Thanks.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:56 pm

ngrewal wrote: never knew webley had rifles.
...me too!

Hey sunil nice one.

From a superficial inspection it appears to bear a vague affinity to the BSA rifles.

regards,
cc
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

Sunil Mapadath
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Sunil Mapadath » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:48 pm

Hi Friends,

I purchased the rifle recently. There is no information on this particular rifle on the Webley & Scott website. The closest picture and details that I could locate were of a BSA .22 Model III Special Edition, 1939; This had the same bolt face with a recession into which the rim of the .22 cartridge would seat itself. The BSA also, claimed a patent on this stating it as a safety feature in the event that the rim was punctured.

The weapon is named Webley & Scott, Birmingham.It has only a mention of .22 on it.There is no mention of LR, short or long on it. It is Nitro-Proofed and made in England. The serial # of the weapon is '1871'. The barrel unlike the BSA mentioned above (27") is 22 1/2". The rifling is of the shallow type. The quality of the ramp sight (foresight), rear sight and the trigger guard, are of a much higher grade when compared to the BSA.

The grain on the furniture should be seen to be believed. It is simply awesome.

I will be posting high quality pics and its target performance immediately after the elections.

My special thanks to this website to give a fair detail on the IOF rifle which I was to purchase for INR 30K. One of the IOF .22 weapons that I tried shot miserably. The only cartridge I found to be good fodder for this weapon was the Remington yellow jacket.

I purchased my Webley & Scott rifle for INR 20K and still have INR 10K to go in for a good scope.

Thanks and bye of now.

Sunil Mapadath

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:42 am

Sunil

"I purchased my Webley & Scott rifle for INR 20K and still have INR 10K to go in for a good scope. " :shock:
Thats sheer luck and a treasure find in India especially after your description of its quality and build. Its very rare to find a well preserved rifle and that too at that price range. A BSA typically costs around Rs60K. So where did you locate it gun dealer or private owner? Either way enjoy your gun and Congrats on your find.

Cheers

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:41 am

ngrewal wrote:Thats sheer luck and a treasure find in India especially after your description of its quality and build. Its very rare to find a well preserved rifle and that too at that price range. A BSA typically costs around Rs60K. Cheers
Navi,

It is a single shot rifle . Also it has been modified (the furniture, barrel, ramp sight etc ) . Some close up pictures should solve the mystery of this "rare" Webley & Scott .22 rifle !!! :mrgreen:

best,

Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:07 am

Rp

You have a good point but look at the bright side the price was reasonable unlike 60K plus I have seen for junked up BSA or other phoren rifles. Dont understand why a decent gunsmith ( if any left) modify and sell the IOF .22..

Best