A visit with Oleg

Here you can post images from your favorite events, places, yourself or your family to share with other site members.
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

A visit with Oleg

Post by xl_target » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:08 pm

Recently my daughter and I went down to Tennessee to visit Oleg. He was kind enough to let us shoot some of the guns in his collection.
Here are some photos of us enjoying ourselves with a few of his guns.

A suppressed Glock in 9mm

An integrally suppressed Ruger 10/22

A suppressed Keltec RFB in .308
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

For Advertising mail webmaster
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: A visit with Oleg

Post by nagarifle » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:47 pm

nice going any more pic?
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:10 pm

Naga, we were having too much fun and I didn't pull the camera out for all the guns.
Oleg might have a few more photos. He even got some photos of the RFB ejecting empties out the front while I was firing.
He was hitting a swinging bolt (on a wire) with my CZ P-06! I could only hit it while it was stationary.
As long as we were using subsonic rounds, the supressors did their job but you could really hear the supersonic "craack" when we used higher velocity ammo.
Last edited by xl_target on Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:14 pm

ah well, next time, the second pic, you got it as ruger 10/22 is that the right model?
Nagarifle

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:19 pm

Yes, that is a Ruger 10/22 with (I believe) a Hogue stock. The barrel appears so much thicker because the supressor is built onto the barrel.
There is also a hundred round drum on it but it is obscured by her arm.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:21 pm

thanks mate, i can just about see the drum, nice one there, next time please get a guy with a camera as we are starved of good things in these parts. :D

regards
Nagarifle

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:11 pm

nice pics. good to see fellow shooters having fun
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:50 pm

Looks like you had yourself a great time! :) BTW I had the opportunity of shooting a similarly modified (sans the 100 round drum magazine) Ruger 10/22 here in Delhi, a sweet shooting rifle indeed...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:28 pm

Here is what the drum looks like. I also passed out incorrect information. It is a 50 round drum, not a 100 round drum.
They make the drum for various .22 caliber guns.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:37 pm

xl_target wrote:Here is what the drum looks like. I also passed out incorrect information. It is a 50 round drum, not a 100 round drum.
They make the drum for various .22 caliber guns.
BTW how was the Keltec? This one I believe is especially controversial with it's unusual ejection system... would be interesting to read a first hand account of how it actually performs.

Cheers!
Abhijeet

-- 11 Mar 2010 09:41 pm --

BTW the picture of the drum mag you've posted does not look like a 10/22 compatible magazine... even for those who have never used a 10/22 the writing on it - "AR-15 .22 conversion 50 rd." is a dead giveaway ;)
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:58 pm

That is correct. The photo shows an AR-15 mag. However, the Keltec SU22 version and the Ruger 10/22 version use the same drum as in the photo.
Just the part that inserts into the magazine well is different for each firearm. Oleg has both the SU22 version and the 10/22 version. He says that they both perform very well. Certainly we had no problems with the 10/22 version.

I've had experience with .308 bolt carbines and they generally have a decent recoil and are loud with significant muzzle flash. You definitely know that that you are not shooting a .22 caliber weapon. A couple of magazine's worth of ammo would be enough for most people.
The RFB was a revelation. I was skeptical at first too but now I just want one. The recoil was gentle and more of a push than a sharp rap. We had 20 round magazines and we were shooting it continuously. My daughter who is pretty small also thought that it was a great rifle. The suppressor makes a big difference also. Even though we were wearing hearing protection, the silencer really tamed the bark of the .308. I fired it sitting and standing and felt comfortable doing both. Getting back on target was easy because the recoil was so controlled. We were shooting continuously (as soon as the red dot settled on the target) and had no issues with sore shoulders. The empties don't eject forcefully but dribble out the tube in front, once the tube is full. There were no malfunctions, jut pure fun.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:32 am

Very nice to see folks,especially family units, having fun shooting guns.Thanks for the pics and also the review on the .308. :cheers:

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:23 am

Found one more.

Here she is with Oleg and a supressed Keltec SU22 (with AR stock modification).

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:10 am

Xl
Thanks for sharing ..happy shooting and great time to get away from Old man frost in Minnesota without the down jackets and gloves et al :D

Cheers

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:01 am

You said it, ngrewal.
Unfortunately, now we are back in the land of four foot snowbanks.