Fishing the flats - South Padre Islands

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Fishing the flats - South Padre Islands

Post by conty1 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:56 pm

Took a family road trip from Dallas to the South Padre Islands. It's a 9 hour trip, but with 2 dogs and 3 teenagers - seemed like it took forever!! :) Jokes aside, the place is fun. For my IFG clan, here's a picture of a nice 32" Red Fish we caught. The bay is so shallow though. We were 14 miles out in the ocean and guess how deep the water was?? 18 inches!! LOL And for those who know him, yes that is Ethan. He's almost taller than me!!!!
278739015_10161822723502222_8334445216695389238_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.

For Advertising mail webmaster
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Fishing the flats - South Padre Islands

Post by timmy » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:31 am

Amit, that's looking like two good sized ones you have there!

I imagine that you are having a great time on the Gulf. I have never been to South Padre, but spent a few years near Surfside, up the coast from you. The depth of the drop-off is much quicker there. The shrimpers would only be a few hundred yards offshore after a big storm. The Gulf is so beautiful and you are there at a nice time, before it gets too hot.

It would be delightful to wade out that far as you were doing, not to mention catching nice fish like that.

Of course, the most delightful part would be having that other "big one" with you!

We have not been back in that area for quite some time now -- 6 years, I think, but I'll give you a holler if we do head that way.

Thanks for sharing with us!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

conty1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Fishing the flats - South Padre Islands

Post by conty1 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:06 am

timmy wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:31 am
Amit, that's looking like two good sized ones you have there!
You know it. One was the biggest for the day and the other is the youngest we have! :)

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.