Basics of Fishing rods

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:37 am

Way to go RAnjeet,
Serious advice from a newbie angler-dont read too much...you wont know what hit you! Get the stuff and get some hands on with Mack The Knife and things will fall into place...Lalbagh tank in Bangalore is being developed into a fishing spot officially-seemed to be overstocked with fish! I dont mind heading to blr for a days fishing there...beats these canals -converted -into-nallah by many country miles.
Good luck and welcome to the madness ;)

Best
Axx
PS- whre's your questionairre on sock and gunny bag fishing? LOL
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: Basics of Fishing rods

Post by Pran » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:11 am

Jefe,
Was having a chat with Owen about fishing in Lal Bagh tank.Was told that the 'Jains' who feed the fish in the tank can be a real pain.

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:25 am

Navdeep,

Can you forward me that list that Mack The Knife drew up.He sent me a book.Every time I start reading it,my head starts spinning and I start feeling drowsy :lol:

penpusher

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:43 am

penpusher, you are a natural fishing 'spinner ' then? :);)
Pran-
I hread that fishing in Lalbagh tank has been okayed by the Horticultural dept-dont know what can of worms it means...
It is purely catch and release and a step in the right direction-someplace we can take family to and have a fishing picnic, or place where newbies like you and I can land up and practice how -to-embed- and- remove fishing-hooks-in-various-parts-of the-human-anatomy?? ;)

Best
Axx

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:32 pm

Navdeep,

Just a suggestion....

Since you already have the tackle from Cabelas but decided not to bring it down because the fishing season does not open until you leave, why not bring it down and sell it to penpusher if he agrees to the cost and you don't have an excess luggage problem. You could always reorder on returning to the U.S..

Mack The Knife
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:38 pm

penpusher";p="12413 wrote:Can you forward me that list that Mack The Knife drew up.He sent me a book.Every time I start reading it,my head starts spinning and I start feeling drowsy :lol:
It does not come simpler than that, penpusher. Best tell your cousin/uncle to show you the ropes.

I could use the book for a while before it gets sent off to someone else.

Mack The Knife

Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:59 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="12398 wrote:Okay, will draw up a list later in the day. Will you be buying only in Germany or would you consider ordering from the U.S.?
I ask because Germany may be expensive though I am not sure what the prices would come to after shipping charges and duty.
Mack The Knife
I would be buying from Germany, one constraint would be not too bulky and heavy...

Cheers
Ranjeet
------------------
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Ranjeet Singh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Ranjeet Singh » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:01 pm

ngrewal";p="12402 wrote: Ranjeet
Check your PM there is a list which Mack The Knife put together for me from Cabela..
Rgds
Thanks Navdeep, I haven't been through the site yet will go through in the evening..

rgds
Ranjeet
------------------
Si vis pacem, para bellum

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:10 pm

Mack The Knife,

Will send the book in a day or two.I think an outing or two with borrowed equipment should help me to decide if this sport is for me.The book would be simple once you know a little bit about the sport.Theory can't replace practical.No matter what Asif says :wink:

penpusher

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:37 pm

I could always come down to Pong and we could have a fishing session penpusher?

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:01 pm

Asif,

That would be nice.Will check up regarding accomodation,fishing license and the best time to visit.

Regards,
penpusher

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:26 pm

Okay penpusher,
I'll check with a couple of local guys here on the fishing forum and see what the action is like at Pong.
I have a couple of colleagues at Mohali who also recommend that my fishing mania get a fresh revamp at Pong...before the major heat strokes start, I'd like to come down for a fri-sat trip.
Best
Axx

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:43 pm

Asif,

Lets make it for after March 2nd.If you could come down to Patiala(same commuting time as for Mohali/Chandigarh),you can meet a gunsmith here who has worked on double rifles.He might have a single barrel shotty by then that you can look at.Also we could get some shooting just in case the fishing trip does not net us any fish.

penpusher

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:53 pm

plot me a map and a trip Please.Patiala, then Pong or only Patiala? any canals nearby? any local fishing enthusiast? Its still too cold-recent rains dropped temp some more...looks like I'll have to wait till holi for the fish to strike.Local fishing lore says fishing after holi...
best
Axx

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:57 pm

No great hurry, penpusher.

Mack The Knife