Wildlife Photography

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Re: Wildlife Photography

Post by prashantsingh » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:54 pm

Finally got the hang of posting snaps.....after much effort....
The Neelgai is the largest antelope in India. Saved by its name (Neel - Blue, Gai-Cow) it is found in plenty.Damages crops but is well tolerated by the farmers.
Some snaps I took this Feb / March at my farm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:24 pm

Hey Prashant,
Excellent photographs, keep up the good work mate, now you are inspiring me to go and shoot a few of my own. :D
Best Regards

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:41 pm

Prasahant,

Nice pics, Liked the 4th one...

M.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:58 pm

Thanks hvj1 and fantumfam

The Neelgai is an ideal example of Wildlife conservation in India.
These animals damage 30% of my crop . Yet they are tolerated by everyone.
For a Hindu ----The Neelgai is a Cow. (Though an antelope ). The animals name provides it a certain amount of immunity.
My personal favorite is the first one. See how the two males are standing proud in my Wheat crop.

fantumfan
That's a big powerful fellow. In our area it is said that you can judge the prosperity of the farmers from the health of the Neelgai in the area. ha ha ha.

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:17 pm

For a Hindu ----The Neelgai is a Cow. (Though an antelope ). The animals name provides it a certain amount of immunity.
Hi Prashant,
Here's an Idea, lets rechrishtian , all endangedred species in India as follows;
Tigergai
Shergai
Leopardgai
etc.gai :D
Best Regards

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:56 pm

Three more.
From Rajaji National Park. 820 sq kms of wilderness.
The northern most habitat of the wild Asian Elephant.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sudesh
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sudesh » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:28 am

great snaps prashantji

:cheers:

S
लोड करके राईफल, जब जीप पे सवार होते...
बाऩध साफा जब गबरू तयार होते.....
देखती है दुनिया छत पर चढके.....
और कहते
"काश हम भी जाट होते"......
"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is two wolves attempting to have a sheep for dinner and finding a well-informed, well-armed sheep."

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:06 am

Prashant, loved each photographgreat of yours.Whenever I see a wild animal thriving, it gives me great satisfaction. :cheers:

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:49 am

Thanks Sudesh and vikram

and now for the undisputed KING of the Indian Jungle

Tiger Tiger Burning Bright.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:26 am

Ah! Prashantsingh. I enjoyed every one of those photos.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:59 pm

here are some from my cam

Bear - Sequoia national park, CA
Sea side pics - Malibu beach, CA
Duck - Washington DC( Capitol building).

http://picasaweb.google.com/paraggad/In ... pPRiM-j8wE#

parag
Yeh dil maange more.....!!!

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:45 pm

The bear snap is just amazing archer. Looks like a big fellow.

I am glad xl_target you liked the snaps.
The interesting thing is that all these snaps have been taken with a very basic camera....Sony Cyber-shot after getting reasonably close to the animals.
Getting close to the Neelgai of Dist Moradabad is not very easy. While half the population (hindus) do not harm the animal ...the other half (muslims) shoot them with/without a permit to protect their crop. Infact many hindu farmers (with smaller landholdings) who can not take the damage caused to their crop invite their muslim friends to do the job. Ironical. Two Neelgai males fighting for territory can raise a few beeghas of crop to the ground. You can expect these animals to break into a gallop the moment they are spooked. The males are powerful animals and I have seen them clearing 6 feet tall fences like a champion show jumping horse.
Did you notice the auto flash of the camera in the Tiger's eye. Not a good idea when you are so close.
I have been charged by a mother elephant (with her calf) in Cheela range when my auto-flash went again, while I was just about 20 yards from the giants.

Any members from Jodhpur.
Would really appreciate if you guys could put up some snaps of those Bisnoi villages and their Chinkaras and Blackbucks. There is a snap I saw of a Bishnoi lady feeding her baby with one breast and a blackbuck fawn with the other. The Bishnois are undoubtedly the Champions of Wildlife conservation in India.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:30 pm

Any members from Jodhpur.
Would really appreciate if you guys could put up some snaps of those Bisnoi villages and their Chinkaras and Blackbucks.

Dittoo for members from Bikaner. Drive along NH11 on any given day, any time and keep your eyes open. You are bound to run into chinkara and maybe blackbuck if you are lucky.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:42 pm

Some birds

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:05 am

Here is another peacock picture:
I am flapping my shirt, that makes him fan out his tail. We just got him a missus this fall so we'll see if we can get a troop of baby peacocks in the spring.

Here are some other wildlife pictures from my neck of the woods:

This was a Copperhead Snake, one of the 3 poisonous snakes that live around here. This was was run over trying to cross the road. Fortunately they are not very poisonous and fatalities are virtually non-existant.:

This is a "Wolf Spider", a predatory hunter but are harmless. This one is unique in that she is carrying her babies on her, if you look closely at her abdomen those are all little ones!

And of course, when wandering around outside you still have to be wary of the tigers waiting to pounce on the unsuspecting!
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947