Who killed how many tigers in India

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Who killed how many tigers in India

Post by fantumfan2003 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:15 pm

All,

I came across this link which gives an interesting time line on the Indian Tiger

http://www.kidsfortigers.org/docs/history.pdf

Very revealing stuff I never knew.

I'd like to know who killed how many tigers in India. I am not playing a blame game here nor am I making it personal, instead just trying to gather data so please do not get me wrong.

M.
As an example of overcoming adversity, Karoly Takacs has few peers. He was part of Hungary’s world champion pistol-shooting team in 1938, when an army grenade exploded, crippling his right hand. Ten years later, having taught himself to shoot with his left, he won two gold medals in the rapid-fire class.

Darr ke aage jeet hai

For Advertising mail webmaster
prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Re: Who killed how many tigers in India

Post by prashantsingh » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:45 pm

Interesting "History Lesson Plan" for kids .

A few facts which the Lesson missed out.

1. Lord Shiva .....kills a tiger which come out from a Yagna , skins it and ties it around his waist. He also sits on a Tiger skin when in "Dhyaan". The tiger here represents Lust and by sitting on it the great God shows that he has conquered Lust.
2. Ashoka's favourite big cat was the Asiatic Lion and not the Tiger.
3. The Mughals favourite passtime was hunting which included falconry and hunting with Cheetahs.
4. Tipu Sultan (also called the Tiger of Mysore) got his name from a Tiger Hunt when while hunting with a French officer, he came face to face with a Tiger and went on to kill it with his sword.
5. The British Raj and post Independence (till 1971). (The tiger almost wiped out thanks to Shikar).
6.Ban on Tiger Hunting after 1971..........Why has Tiger not bounced back from the verge of Extinction?
With No Legal Hunting in India for close to 4 decades .....Why has the Tiger count gone down to less than 1500 today?

The invention of "Fire Arms" was probably the most important factor in extensive "Game" Hunting world wide . The Guns and Rifles made hunting so much easier , than the previously used "traditional " methods. The invention of the motor car added to the ease of the Hunt. Jungle Roads through the deepest jungles made them easily accessible to the (now better armed) Hunters.

There were few Hunters who shot Tigers by the Hundreds and (as mentioned earlier) even counted the unborn cubs in their total count.
There were some old timer Hunters (a few I have known) who considered the former as nothing more than Wanton killing and a show of power and wealth more than anything else. These Hunters felt that it was the way you hunted the Apex Predator (Quality of the Hunt) more than the numbers (Quantity) which mattered.
eg. Shooting down a hundred tigers from a motorised vehicle or a perfectly camouflaged "machaan" was considered less sporting than stalking an animal on foot , following him up and finally getting him.
Last edited by prashantsingh on Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eaglesharp10
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by eaglesharp10 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:28 pm

weak leaders , no will and vote bank policies killed tigers in indian at present there r more indian tigers living out of india :( ... one good news govt planning to reintroduce cheeta in india

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:54 am

eaglesharp10 wrote: one good news govt planning to reintroduce cheeta in india
Do you really think that will fare any better than Tiger conservation?
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:39 am

xl_target wrote:
eaglesharp10 wrote: one good news govt planning to reintroduce cheeta in india
Do you really think that will fare any better than Tiger conservation?
:agree:

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Col. Kesari Singh - approx 2000 tigers (as per one of his books).
/S/
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:28 pm

Col. Kesari Singh - approx 2000 tigers (as per one of his books).

its 1000 and secondly Col. didnt shoot them himself. He was the incharge of 'shikar khana' firstly of gwalior state and then Jaipur state.

He hasd arranged shikar for 1000 (approx) tigers and had witnessed shooting them but not shot these himself.

The 'honour' goes to the maharajas of Gwalior , Rewa and Datia (please note all three are in MP.
Approx between 1100 to 1500 each. (not respectively).
Few others crossed into 4 digits. Several others crossed 500 numerous made centuries and double centuries. (too many to count).

Reaching a 1000 mark for a leopard was no big deal.

I dont want to go into more details as i dont believe in glorifying these older 'records'.

In fact i personally find this record books business pretty horrid. First started by rowland ward and now carried forward by CIc, boone and crocket and SCI.
Last edited by shooter on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:35 pm

Rewa-
http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_ ... ID=3058729

Had enough tigers around to order a special wildcat...I have seen pics of it in an old Gun mag, at 750 gr, would have flattened ol stripes
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

eaglesharp10
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by eaglesharp10 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:46 pm

[Do you really think that will fare any better than Tiger conservation?[/quote]

lol can`t say it was in bbc news . wat i know its a 100crore project and the people (nomads )inhabiting those area will be shifted to other places (this might help). but u can nver be sure about govts will

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:55 pm

eaglesharp10 wrote:one good news govt planning to reintroduce cheeta in india
Instead of preserving what wildlife we still have left and are fast losing, these nitwits cook up harebrained schemes to replace species already lost with their foreign cousins(Iran has already refused to give any of their asiatic cheetah).
These new schemes are a ruse to misappropriate funds, grab land and a host of other spin offs we mere mortals cant even think of.
I remember that in our municipal hospitals equipment worth lakhs (and sometimes crores) would lie unused due to maintenance bills not being paid to the companies citing lack of funds.But talk of buying any new equipment or new additions to the hospitals and the purse strings would be loosened magically :roll: .
It makes one's blood boil ! :evil:
The more people I meet,the more i like my dog!

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:09 pm

I remember that in our municipal hospitals equipment worth lakhs (and sometimes crores) would lie unused due to maintenance bills not being paid to the companies citing lack of funds.But talk of buying any new equipment or new additions to the hospitals and the purse strings would be loosened magically .
It makes one's blood boil !
:agree: :evil:

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

eaglesharp10
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by eaglesharp10 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:15 pm

Yaj wrote:
eaglesharp10 wrote:one good news govt planning to reintroduce cheeta in india
Instead of preserving what wildlife we still have left and are fast losing, these nitwits cook up harebrained schemes to replace species already lost with their foreign cousins(Iran has already refused to give any of their asiatic cheetah).
These new schemes are a ruse to misappropriate funds, grab land and a host of other spin offs we mere mortals cant even think of.
I remember that in our municipal hospitals equipment worth lakhs (and sometimes crores) would lie unused due to maintenance bills not being paid to the companies citing lack of funds.But talk of buying any new equipment or new additions to the hospitals and the purse strings would be loosened magically :roll: .
It makes one's blood boil ! :evil:
main problem with india is that % of educated people voting is less mostly those people vote who don`t understand politics :( .
still remember one of my friend told me that no one in his family vote cuz they think their vote is not gonna change anything lol :lol:

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:25 pm

eaglesharp10 wrote:main problem with india is that % of educated people voting is less mostly those people vote who don`t understand politics :( .
still remember one of my friend told me that no one in his family vote cuz they think their vote is not gonna change anything lol :lol:
Its only about educated ppl voting, its about now trying to get these MP accountable to what they are doing and same is for the Bureaucrats. I think right now they are more dangerous than politicians.
When we have whistleblowers getting shot in broad day light and then culprits walking free, its not only politicians.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:48 pm

dear fantumfan can you please list the people you know who have the biggest bags (2000+).

regards

tonygunlover
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by tonygunlover » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:46 pm

I think the record is of Maharaja of Rewa who shot around 1200 tigers all himself.. its mentioned in a Book by Great Billy Arjan Singh in one of his books.Its Worth reading Tiger Haven Oxford publications...
Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.