Maneater of Devprayag / Chandmari.

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Maneater of Devprayag / Chandmari.

Post by ckkalyan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:52 pm

prashantsingh a wonderful narrative and adventure...hats off to you and your team, I would like to, especially commend you on your courage and compassion!! 'Spot' on (pun intended) re the maneating leopard of Chandmari!

The animal in the picture looks so small a cat (forgive my ignorance) - however, I do know that leopards, whatever their size, are deadly, killing machines - fast and furious!

Many thanks for sharing :D

:cheers:
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:20 pm

Prashant

Congrats for taking care of this maneater and amazing narrative and brave act

Best

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:47 am

ckkalyan wrote: The animal in the picture looks so small a cat
Hi CK
The leopard is much smaller than a Lion,tiger or a jaguar.
This one measured 6 feet 7 inches over the curves.Which is a decent size for any female leopard.
Big cats are measured from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail.
Corbett 99 stands at 5 feet 11,Singh and I are 5 feet 10 and panditji is about 5 feet 6 inches tall.
It's all about proportion.
I will ask Baljit to put up a snap of the maneater with four children aged 6yrs to 14 years.
That will give you an idea of the size and also an idea of how easy it is for this animal to overwhelm a kid/human.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:34 am

prashantsingh wrote:
ckkalyan wrote: The animal in the picture looks so small a cat
Hi CK
The leopard is much smaller than a Lion,tiger or a jaguar.
This one measured 6 feet 7 inches over the curves.Which is a decent size for any female leopard.
Big cats are measured from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail.
Corbett 99 stands at 5 feet 11,Singh and I are 5 feet 10 and panditji is about 5 feet 6 inches tall.
It's all about proportion.
I will ask Baljit to put up a snap of the ma-eater with four children aged 6yrs to 14 years.
That will give you an idea of the size and also an idea of how easy it is for this animal to overwhelm a kid/human.
> The Leopard is a very compact & heavily muscled animal....
> It's neck & upper back muscles are so strong that it can carry its prey almost twice its own weight up a tree branch 25 to 30 ft high.
> Its a silent stalker and relies on its extreme reflexes & speed to bring down its quarry...
Briha

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:20 pm

Hello friends, Prashant sent me couple of more pictures for all of you.

Prashant will explain about these pictures.

Enjoy
Baljit

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:09 pm

Doc,
I have been following your post intermittently, but intently. Its quite relieving to know that the 'Premnagar maneater' is now no more. The stories of this maneater have spread far and wide in Dehradun. I have not heard any incidents of leopard kills in and around Dehradun after you got this one.

I am still curious to know why this one turned a maneater. Leopards do not attack people, especially adults. In fact, we(me and my wife) spotted a leopard close to G*&%^al Gaon two weeks ago while riding up the bridge on my motorcycle. The leopard was not more than 7-8 feet away and chose to mind its own business. Locals are quite familiar this cat and there have been no reported attacks on humans whatsoever.

Regards
Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:42 pm

Thanks Baljit.
I drew this sketch a couple of days ago. I am no great artist as you can see. This one is of the big male we saw on the tree (not the maneater).
I have been dreaming of him so I decided to sketch him in my daughter's drawing book. The one with the long tail...all Black at the tip.It gives a great feeling when I think he is still there somewhere.I have named him the King of Birpur/Ghangora.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:12 am

Hi Prashant,
> Great hand skills you got there - Lucky daughter to have a very obliging father :D
> The specimen you saw lounging on the tree branch must have been the 'most wonderful sight' one can hope to have!
> May he 'roam the jungles free' and lord over his domain :D
> BTW the pic of the children in front of the 'Vanquished Leopard' is very nice - especially the looks on their faces :D
Briha

SMJ
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by SMJ » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:21 pm

I have just joined this forum a few days ago so I am writing in very late. I was mesmerized by this post; what a riveting story Prashant Singh ji!!! A hunt so brilliantly and humbly but vividly described - so well written with the same gripping suspense and amazing description just like both Jim Corbett and Kenneth Anderson :) Thank you so much for this post- it was extremely intriguing and educational sir!