Hunt in Hungary

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Hunt in Hungary

Post by Safarigent » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:52 pm

I had gone to Italy for some work and while there had some time free. So me and my mother decided to visit Budapest and tour the city for a few days.
She had to leave before me so i had around 4 odd days of time to do what i feel like....

:D

What does pappu feel like?

Like hunting, ofcourse.
A few calls were made and a friends friend who happens to be a professional hunter was on his way to pick me up from Budapest.
We met up and proceeded to drive to nagykanizsa, a small city in south western hungary and went further out to a small town of debrecen. A long drive from budapest to debrecen was made easy with the company of a good friend (Boris), some great weather( pouring rain) and a nifty little car(mini cooper).
Anyhow, we reached by around six pm and met the fellow on whose property we would be hunting. His name was jólt and he only spoke german or hungarian, hence the need to have boris with me who spoke english.
They thought that since we had come in on time, we could try sitting on a high seat that very evening and against my better judgement i decided to go for it as i did not want to waste any opportunity to hunt. I wanted to fire a few rounds through the rifle and get used to it, but i was told that there was no need for it, the rifle had been zeroed, the ranges would be short, etc etc. Anyhow, i wanted to see the rifle and handle it, if only for a few moments. A steyr luxus 7x64, with a continental hogback stock. A lovely zeiss scope which had a red dot and a russian low light attachment too. The photos will explain it all. :P
It had a set trigger and with grave machismo i explained that i planned on using the normal setting only.
I realized one thing, i wasnt getting a good cheek weld on this rifle. Ah well, too late now, and i didnt want to make it into an issue. How much of a difference can it possibly make right???
So we changed and proceeded to the hunting reserve. This 4000 hectare reserve is adjoining a 15000 hectare hunting reserve of the hungarian army and there is little to no hunting done on the army side so there we good sized animals available. But i was only looking at non trophy animals. Cheaper on the pocket and makes more sense if i cant take the trophies back to india.
Now, my previous hunting experience was in africa, which was beautiful and bright and open and everything cheery.
The sun was setting and the wind getting fresh as we entered the forest and i felt the first tremors of fear. Unreasonable, but seeing a foreboding forest, silent, except for the wind slipping furitively through the boughs and these humans walking like ephemeral ghosts through the silence and darkness is quite an experience. After walking for some time, we reached the high seat. As it was only me, this was going to be a high seat hunt. We slowly climbed up into the high seat. I got my bearing right and sighted down to the area where the corn for the wildboar was set.
Time now was half past seven and now started a whole new experience for me. The sheer silence in the cabin was contrasted by the 'noise' outside. I could hear the breathing of my two friends who were sitting with me. Their weight shifts would make the bench groan just so. The sound of clothing rustling gently, an elbow kept against a ledge, a rifle shifted slightly. You appreciate just how much noise one makes. By now the sun was down and the wind had picked up and it was raining. We were getting wet and cold. It didnt look like there would be any wildboar coming in tonight. I was miserable by now, but i wanted to sit. The rain stopped and it became even more cold. We could hear twigs snapping and everytime it happened, the low light scope would be switched on and we would scan the area for any sign of boar.
Nothing.
Eventually we realized that the snapping of twigs was the water freezing and cracking them and not the handiwork of some careless piggie.
It got so cold that i pulled down my beret as much as i could, put my hands under my thighs and stopped trying to keep my lips moist as that was making things worse.
Eventually there came a group of some 9 wild boar and they started shuffling around and eating the corn. The low light scope was attached to the zeiss scope and turnd on. I removed the safety and sighter down towards the boar.
I could see nothing!!! I cancelled the shot and gave it to my friend to check. The low light scope, in the cold and with repeated switching on and searching in high power mode had exhausted its battery, all i could see were faint dark shapes in the darkness.
I was advised to put a shot in center of mass and then we could track and finsh the boar off. Not something to warm the cockles of many of you, but i decided to do it. The atmosphere was such, i guessed i would have actually loved to track one through a night like this knowing fully well the risks involved.
I mounted the gun and after taking as careful aim as i could, i took a shot. Through the low light scope, one sees a bright flash of light, then a fog descends and it takes some time for the sight picture to return. In that much time, i knew i had missed. I saw the boar jump up in the air and turn and run. I had a gut feeling i had missed. We went down towards the center of the clearing and had a look around for any blood or spoor to follow. It started raining. The two gents with me got busy while i was trying to look useful. We found where the boar was standing, where the bullet struck, which was center of mass but directly below him on the earth. A clean miss.
You get very conflicting feelings when that judgement is passed. Relief that the poor beast is not suffering because of you and a feeling of shame that one missed a stationary shot at 70 yards.
Anyhow, we decided to return back and try again in the morning. It started raining again on the way out and by the time we reached the truck, we were all damp and in not so high spirits.
Getting back, we were treated to some fantastic hungarian food and soon retired for the night.
This was day one and i shall post pictures soon.
Last edited by Safarigent on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
To Excellence through Diligence.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Hunt in Hungary

Post by Hammerhead » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:45 pm

[quote]deleted :wink:
Last edited by Hammerhead on Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:01 pm

Haji: thats for me to know and you to find out.
:twisted:

I am writing this on an ipad. Cant upload pics from my desktop through this.
Thats all

prashantsingh
Poster of the Month - Aug 2011

Post by prashantsingh » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:16 pm

Lovely report........As always.
Don't blame you for missing the shot in sub zero temp. After Africa this would have been quite the opposite. Sure your fingers must be freezing.
Looking forwards to the snaps and the rest of the story.

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:57 am

Some snaps from Safarigent
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:10 am

Buda---Pest
Remembered an old one as I was going through the snaps.
Austria was Hungary. Took a bit of Turkey Dipped in Greece and ate it in Spain.Long legged Italy kicked poor Sicily into the Mediterranean Sea.
Thanks A.B.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:14 am

Well, if you can't see it, you can't hit it, I guess.
Reading a story like this make me appreciate even more Prashantsingh's hunt for a man-eater in the darkness.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:30 am

congrats Safarigent and thanks for sharing

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:31 pm

Shabash Arjun,

On or 2 points here re: the anatomy of the hunt:

I am sure your PH knew what he was doing but just reiterating for the readers benefit:

Optics: the difference between good and very good optics is best understood in dim light. You will read many US based websites praising a particular scope and many readers here too using 40 mm objectives (for e.g.) with very good results.

The mid west us and south USA (even most of India) etc get a decent light and arent like the grey uk and europe where even in the summer, its mostly grey and the winter is always dark and gloomy. It is under these twilight conditions that a very good scope really outperforms a good one.
I am not saying that that is what Arjun used or that I own the best scopes (on the contrary i own many 'budget' scopes) I am just using this as a learning example.

Tracking: Wild boar, unlike deer, very commonly do not leave a blood rail. I have personally seen wild boar hit by 300 min mag and 458 winmag not leave a blood trail. In fact even the tracker wasnt sure if it was a hit or a miss as there was no blood at all. For wild boar, it is best to shoot to kill. In the cold frosted ground, it is a bit more difficult to follow spoor. Again, I am not saying that boar will never lead a trail but merely that absence of blood doesnt mean a miss in case of boar.
Secondly, if the light is not good enough to hit a stationary wild boar, it certainly wont be good enough to shoot a charging wild boar; esp with a scope. All charging game is/should be shot either with open sights or with a very low magnification scope; not high magnification. I have seen the damage a wounded boar/sow can do and its not pretty. It sounds adventurous but only try it if you are proficient in the use of your weapon.

Also with a bit of experience, one will learn to discriminate between hit and miss by sound. This is esp true in low light conditions or in undergrowth. I have never shot game at 500 yards like they do in youtube videos but i am sure that within reasonable distances and esp within 100 yards, one can hear the hit. But one must be on the lookout. Several times due to buckfever we dont pay attention to the sound of a hit / miss.

I dont mean to hijack Arjuns thread but stating some points as hunting tips.

Waiting for more.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Waking up the next morning, we decided not to waste our time in the village and went for a long walk in the reserve. The major hunting season had just gotten over and the animals were very wary of humans. We saw animals at a distance, lots of them, roe deer, red deer and wild boar, but none close enough to stalk. We also went along and baited all the sites with corn. They feed corn throughout the week at the baits and make sure never to miss a day, especially in the winters. Also, the center of the reserve is kept aside and no one ventures there as it is believed that there has to be some area available where the animals are free from persecution. Especially important for the sows when they are rearing their youmg. A long tiring morning, but invigorating nonetheless. Afterwards we returned and had a hearty meal and went to sleep. Rose up in the afternoon and went again towards the reserve. Tonight we were in a different high seat and i had sworn to prove my caliber today. Accordingly i had spent a lot of time with the rifle before leaving, mounting it and getting used to it and was ready for the evening.
May i digress here for a bit? The first night out, it was so cold that when i went to bed, my knees refused to warm up and i finally went to sleep with my hands cupping them. For todays hunt i had borrowed an extra pair of thermals from boris and wass as prepared. But the prospect of spending a few hours In the harsh cold while staying absolutely quiet and with no prospect of hot food/drink or blankets...basically no material comforts, was daunting to say the least. I was petrified thinking of the night ahead but determined to go through with it, because through all that discomfort, holding an animal in my sights was such a lovely sight to behold that i would willingly submit myself to this torture again and again.
Anyway, we were set and the waiting began. Once the sun sets, time seems to slow down drastically and without even the moon to help things along, the wait saws on your patience.
It had rained last night and accordingly tonight was a clear night. Accordingly, the cold when it came was searing. At one stage, i ran my tongue over my lips to keep them moist and found they already were. Unbeknownst to me, my nose was running all the way down to my chin and i wasnt even aware of it. I then realized that my face was slightly numb. :( What were the other two doing? I looked to see that they had silently pulled up their tube scarfs from around their necks and had covered their faces so that only the bridge of the nose and eyes showed through.
That was my lowest point, for quite some time, i dont know how long, i wanted to leave and go back to my warm bed, with a belly full of delicious food. I didnt want to be in an alien country far away from home. And be uncomfortable to boot. I am sure that you would agree it was a minor affair, but for me at that time, it dominated everything. Not for me the brave and lofty ideals to wrestle with. I just wanted to be warm and comfortable.
Anyway, i decided that i had already put up a pathetic display last night and would not now mess things up. After all, if they were okay, i would bloody well be okay.
The wait resumed for me. After sometime, we again had some wild boar move in for the corn. Boris, used his low light scope to see and verify which one i should go for, after that he attched it to the scope and handed the rifle back to me.
I shouldered it and looking through the scope saw my quarry. The thing which never happened to me in africa, happened to me now.
I got the shakes. The anticipation, the elation of seeing the animal, the dark brooding environment all got to me at the same time. I didnt notice this ofcourse and took the shot. Once again, the wildboar displayed its agility, did two darn double flips in the air, showed me the middle finger and proceeded to dance out of the clearing along with the rest of his friends.
Jolt told me flatly that i had missed. He didnt hear the bullet strike the animal he said. I hoped to god that, that wasnt the case. Anyway we went down and looked around, the bullet had hit the earth a feet or so before the bore. Turned towards boris and asked him if the scope was zeroed, he confirmed tht it was and it couldnt be the scope. Jolt and boris had a quick discussion before we all proceeded towards the truck. Imagine the feeling as you walk back, feeling that you dont even deserve to hold the rifle in your hands. Along the way back we turned off into a small side road. Upon inquiring, was told that we would be firing and checking the gun to ascertain the zero.
Accordingly a discarded plastic milk bottle was setup at a distance of 100 yards and boris proceeded to punch a hole in the kiddle of it. He did it again and then handed me the rifle. I shot and once again shot right below the bottle. They now got into a quiet but furious debate. Boris then came towards me and told me what he had observed today, regarding me getting the shakes and also that jolt was of the opinion that i was pulling on the trigger too fast, hence shooting low. He advices me to fire again using the set trigger and see how i went.
A ciggarette packet was setup at around 80 yards and i proceeded to punch holes through it, right in the middle.
Problem solved, but my nickname stuck. They started calling me big hunter, the patron saint of wild boar. :evil:
Didnt feel like having dinner and went off to sleep, praying that tomorrow would be a much much better day for me.
My knees were still cold.

prashantsingh

Post by prashantsingh » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:46 pm

Waiting for the rest of the story Arjun.
and the snaps as well.

rraju2805
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by rraju2805 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:29 pm

Nice snap. :cpix:
YOU CAN FOOL SOME OF THE PEOPLE SOMETIME
BUT YOU CAN"T FOOL ALL OF THE PEOPLE ALL TIME

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:51 pm

Nice narration,Arjun. What I like in these reports is the fact that you are not trying to spare the potential embarrassing bits. Thank you for sharing your experiences. Like Prashant, looking forward to the next instalment and the photos.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:45 pm

keep it coming, loving it, living each moment as if right next to you.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:08 pm

Vikram wrote:Nice narration,Arjun. What I like in these reports is the fact that you are not trying to spare the potential embarrassing bits. Best-Vikram
:agree:

Very natural account of your adventure in Hungary Safarigent. And I do understand exactly what you are saying about the cold - it may be a small thing compared to what you set out to do - but sometimes such discomforts tend to take control over the main objective. However, the important thing is that you stuck it out gamely nevertheless - Bravo! :D
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!