Car Camping Trip

Got some old "Shikaar" tales to share? Found a great new spot to Fish? Any interesting camping experiences? Discussion of Back-packing, Bicycling, Boating, National Parks, Wildlife, Outdoor Cooking & Recipes etc.
Forum rules
PLEASE NOTE: There is currently a complete ban on Hunting/ Shikar in India. IFG DOES NOT ALLOW any posts of an illegal nature, and anyone making such posts will face immediate disciplinary measures.
airgun_novice
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Car Camping Trip

Post by airgun_novice » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:23 pm

brihacharan wrote:
slingshot wrote: Briha sir....a beautiful and eloquent poem. I can actually feel like I am transported there. I wish we were as talented as you. Hats off to you :)
Hey Slingshot!
> While thanking you for your appreciation of my poem I wish to state in all sincerity that....
"Your culinary skills are more than a match for my poetic eloquence" :lol:
> Thanks for sharing the recipe for the 'Goan Sausage Pulao' :D
:cheers:
Briha
Ah - the (grand) masters boweth to each other ! :-) BTW, Brihji, beautiful poetry. :cheers:

For Advertising mail webmaster
slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:30 pm

airgun_novice wrote:Slingshot Sir - you got me salivating with 'em pix and the description. I can smell fried garlic with the aroma of meat and there is a Rumble in the Belly. :lol: OK now I have to make that call and order some checkout much to my wife's chagrin. 8)

BTW, is this locale en route Malshejghat ? If not, where ? Any waterhole close by ? Thinking of a weekend drive...
AGN, This is in Mulshi. My friend owns afforestation land above the lake.... and thats where I go for some peace, quiet, stars, campfires and great food. Glad you enjoyed the recipe. Really easy to make. :D Next time when we meet at my place will cook Laal Maas for the carnivores :)
There is no downside to Freedom!

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:47 pm

Slingshot,

Thank you for that detailed recipe and the photo. Making me ravenous right now!

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:18 pm

Vikram wrote:Slingshot,

Thank you for that detailed recipe and the photo. Making me ravenous right now!

Best-
Vikram
Thanks Vikram. Here is the recipe for the Chicken and Egg Akhouri

Chicken & Egg Akhouri

Serves 4

Ingredients :

1. Its not always chicken. Since I always cook a bit extra in the night, it could be a Pork Pandi Curry or a Jungli Mutton or Chicken Masala or a Beef stir fry, that is left over for the morning breakfast. I usually keep the left over cooked meat in a closed container, on a pan filled with water. This ensures that the meat doesnt get spoilt. Since I never waste any food, it means finishing the meat next morning. However, it does feel rather boring to have the same food as dinner. So I plan a twist in the taste. Whatever meat is left over from the night, I shred the meat from the bones and keep aside with a bit of the meat sauce.
On this occasion, it was shredded chicken :)

2. Break 8 eggs and beat the yolks and the whites till they are fluffy
3. Slice two onions finely
4. Slice 4 garlic cloves. No ginger in this.
5. Slice 5 to 6 green chillies...i love the fiery flavour on a chilly morning. You can add less if you want this milder.
6. 8-10 coarsely crushed pepper corns
7. Salt to taste
8. A 1/2 teaspoon of red chilly powder for colour

Cooking :

1. On a pan add about 1 tablespoon of oil
2. Add the onions and the garlic to the pan and fry till golden brown
3. Now add the green chillies, crushed pepper corns, salt, chilly powder and fry for a bit
4. At this stage, the other campers will come over to you and start ogling hungrily at the pan
5. I now add the shredded meat and the meat sauce fry the meat and the sauce till the oil separates from the masala
6. Now add the beaten eggs and cook slowly and stirring occasionally till the meat and egg akhouri is no longer runny, but not dry. If you want to dry it completely, you can do that.

Your Meat & Egg Akhouri is ready to be served.

There are many other options...you can add a few curry leaves for a distinctly different flavour. My favourite is that, irrespective of which meat I put, I add about 4 rashers of smoked streaky bacon with the onions in the beginning.

Enjoy :)

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:10 am

Slingshot,
A trip to the forest, a campfire under the stars and haute cuisine in the outdoors.
Where do I sign up? :)
Great photos, sir.

Brihaji, Your numerous talents continue to amaze.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:22 am

xl_target wrote:Slingshot,
A trip to the forest, a campfire under the stars and haute cuisine in the outdoors.
Where do I sign up? :)
Great photos, sir.

Brihaji, Your numerous talents continue to amaze.
Thank you XL. It was a great weekend. In case you are in Mumbai in the near future, let me know. We can plan a weekend and you are most welcome to join :)

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:38 pm

Hi Slingshot!
> Reading your recipe for the Goan Sausage Pulao (the way you have written it / described it) reminded me of a 'Symphony' in progress :D
> From the syncopated overture to the strain of the strings, to the mellifluous sounds of the wind instruments, to the pulsating rhythms of the drums and finally the crescendo with the clash of the cymbals.....
> Ki Bolbo Moshai - Khub Bhalo :D
> I was reminded of "Osho's" thought provoking words.....

" The colours & fragrances in me are too many
I cannot help, but burst forth & bloom!"

> Have a great wk-end :D
Briha

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:50 pm

Hi Slingshot,

Not fair saar ;-). Please come down to the North we will provide camping venue, stars and special effects like dogs howling.
You provide the vittles.
Anyway don't mind my saliva, please continue posting yer adventures.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:31 pm

dev wrote:Hi Slingshot,

Not fair saar ;-). Please come down to the North we will provide camping venue, stars and special effects like dogs howling.
You provide the vittles.
Anyway don't mind my saliva, please continue posting yer adventures.
Dev, I grew up in Delhi and some of my great memories are linked to camping next to the Sutlej...or camping in Rishikesh. And the part about, cooking under the stars and dogs howling... I remember vividly :) In case there is a trip planned, let me know. Would definitely try to be there :)

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:32 pm

brihacharan wrote:Hi Slingshot!
> Reading your recipe for the Goan Sausage Pulao (the way you have written it / described it) reminded me of a 'Symphony' in progress :D
> From the syncopated overture to the strain of the strings, to the mellifluous sounds of the wind instruments, to the pulsating rhythms of the drums and finally the crescendo with the clash of the cymbals.....
> Ki Bolbo Moshai - Khub Bhalo :D
> I was reminded of "Osho's" thought provoking words.....

" The colours & fragrances in me are too many
I cannot help, but burst forth & bloom!"

> Have a great wk-end :D
Briha
Thank you Brihaji...next time you are home...will cook this for you :)

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:38 pm

Thanks for the second recipe,too, Slingshot! Mouthwatering to say the least.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:28 pm

Slingshot,

Thanks for the lovely post and two great recipes... :D

Rarely have I felt so desperate to use three keys --- Control, A and C ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

A chef with a deadly knife....hmm

So we have a real life Casey Ryback among us :D

TC

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:31 pm

TC wrote:Slingshot,

Thanks for the lovely post and two great recipes... :D

Rarely have I felt so desperate to use three keys --- Control, A and C ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

A chef with a deadly knife....hmm

So we have a real life Casey Ryback among us :D

TC
TC, used to don the hat a long time ago. But the skills in front of the range i.e. Cooking range, have remained :)

these days, i work in real estate. And the journey from hot kitchens to cranes is another story :)

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:29 pm

Slingshot,

I am sure you use your edge in both ... this thread speaks volumes...

And so does your signature... on Mumbai :D

Will try one of the recipes next week and let you know how it went

TC

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Hey Slingshot!
> While on the subject of 'Culinery Skills' here's a story I came across a long time ago....
> On a Trans-Atlantic cruise loaded with 'who-is-who' was a passenger with fame & fortune - Baroness Rotschild...
> On the last day of the cruise the Captain had flown in a well reputed French Chef for the dinner to be hosted by him....
> As expected the dinner was a smashing success especially the 'Main Course' ....
> The Baroness complimented the Chef and asked him for the recipe.... which he was only too pleased to share with her....
> A few months later the Baroness ran into the Chef in Paris and told him .... I put everthing into the dish you had told me to - But it didn't turn out like what you had created at the cruise...
> The Chef responded in the tone of "Maurice Chevalier" " Madame you indeed put everything I had told you, no doubt - But you forgot to put the most "Important Ingredient of all" - "Your Soul & Spirit" while you stirred the pot :D
> I remember my Grandma used to sing / hum some lilting melodies while making her favorite "O :) nion Sambhar" - I hope you guys got the drift :D
Briha